recent server performance stuttery?

Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">HLDS related?</div>I tried playing a few games today and all of them were stuttery, even on servers with low latency and no or few other players. No matter the server, it was slow. Could this be indicative of the hlds update? I don't remember 160 being particularly bad when that came out. Anyone else?

Comments

• nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    Yes totally! I was wondering the same thing. last days i always have experienced extended rubberband and lag
  • Horseless HeadmanHorseless Headman Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76594Members
    My slightly uneducated guess would be it doesn't really matter which delivery system updates your game files... they're still the same game files. Server.exe is still server.exe.

I could be mistaken... also I just launched my own HLDS server at ns2.fakkelbrigadier.nl and even when I joined it when it was set to -lan true... it felt a bit jittery in Ready Room.... running a Performance Monitor counter now to get some statistics.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1823377:date=Jan 11 2011, 10:30 PM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Jan 11 2011, 10:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1823377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes totally! I was wondering the same thing. last days i always have experienced extended rubberband and lag<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did had this but figured it was the server?

Not sure..
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, it is really odd. Sometimes I can play on a god awful server (in terms of ping) and it is quite smooth.

Other times I can play on servers with good ping, and the lag is awful.

I have played on 14 player servers that have been fairly smooth, until someone starts dropping Hydras.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    I noticed this on the ArmoryChamber servers where I usually hang out. They are usually very smooth but lately they have been stuttering, regardless of player count.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    HLDSUpdateTool only runs when an update is actually occurring (Typically, you configure it to run immediately before the server actually starts.) It is <b>completely</b> impossible for it to cause any sort of lag on a server.