Spectator's view of marine vs. skulk

TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited January 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">(video)</div>uncut, unedited, no music.

did my best as the cameraman, there's no shift key walk in spectator.

discuss.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7HrUob7HI" target="_blank">Alien Victory</a>

(give youtube some time to get the hd quality up)

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    Player movement appears to be jerky, especially since Skulks have fast movement (leaping and jumping makes the problem worse). That makes it difficult for a marine to predict the movement of Skulks and hit them. A complete lack of (accurate) turrets was probably the cause of the marines' downfall.

Quite a number of those marine deaths happened while they were either slashing buildings with an axe, or had their view blocked by a marine building.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7HrUob7HI#t=1m18s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7HrUob7HI#t=1m18s</a> Holy ######, skulks are BIG.

Good video, btw. Shows a better/bigger picture of the game than a single player's perspective (whether ground or commander).
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The skulk moves like a spirited lamb
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    sometimes the movement looks more or less smooth, but in some situations it's terrible where the famous strobo skulk apears.

one of the situations seems to be straffing, that was already talked about by flayra or max, the reason seems to be the sidestep animation of the skulk which makes the skulk body move too fast and wierd.

The other situation i saw where falling. There was a skulk getting out of a vent, and it moved really wierd and unpredictable.

Perhaps somebody has the time and can identify the timemarks at which the skulks move wierd?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cool video Tig, that freelook worked out really well. Thought it would be hard to catch all the good action. What you don't see (near the begging where TiG mentions marine/skulk balance) is that the marine team wins prior to this match. But I think that was a a lot to do with me and another guy chatting with TiG for the first 10 minutes. That Capriccio guy was an incredibly good shot on the Marine team.

I was on the Alien team shouting out orders on the text bar throughout the match.

They kept setting up CCs and we kept taking them down, leaving them little resources for defences or other structures. So I kept telling everyone to head towards the base towards the end of the game to hammer the IP. Eventually it went down, I was skulk the whole game.

The best pieces of skulk team play action is after my kill at 2.40. I was with another Skulk, and we ran into the corridor heading out of west where there was a marine. The other guy stayed back and I ran into the vent. Not particularly to flank him, but more to distract him by thinking he was being flanked (so giving him more to think about). It distracted him enough for the other guy to kill him, just as I pop out the vent behind him.

Then after near the power node. The other guy started taking it down, so I waited in the corridor for a marine to enter and take him down. I like taking advantage of other people's deaths xD. After that I went and backed up central via the vent in west.

It is a shame you can't see who killed who mind :(
    Oh as for the any Skulks moving weird, I am playing on a laptop (Sony Vaio FW21E) at 640 x 480 at around 11 - 34 fps so in intense game play I might jerk around a little.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1822577:date=Jan 8 2011, 06:46 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jan 8 2011, 06:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A complete lack of (accurate) turrets was probably the cause of the marines' downfall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    they obviously lost because the commander spent all res on CC's. he lost 4 and managed to build a fith. that's 100 carbon just on an expansion.

those res could've been spent in res nodes, front armories, another IP, researches!

I always prefer securing an area before I "ninja" CC's

video was kinda fine...but it's hard to get a good angle as spectator and to follow propperly in free-look
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    It's a bit annoying that kill-messages are hidden. I have no idea who is playing. Even a playerlist would rox. Apart from that, good video! A few hours of this and you could edit a community-trailer =)
    You can't see who killed who, or hear me talking over comms / text with team talk. But I think that might be me going 'yeah!' over the comms in the readyroom at the end :/ Didn't realise I was so enthusiastic.

I'm pretty sure I am the skulk right at the beginning, because when I get to west after killing two guys at spawn I completely lagged out just as I was about to kill a guy in the corridor between west and marine start.

After that it is hard to tell who is who.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1822606:date=Jan 8 2011, 04:22 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jan 8 2011, 04:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The skulk moves like a spirited lamb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i like the spirited lamb movement!
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    That game was a great load of fun.

Lebowski
    Ahh, the Skulk at the beginning was Lebowski! Thought it was me.