Cinematic Editor

RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
With the Cinematic Editor I have available from the launch pad am I able to pose actors loaded into the level? I'd like to put together a little movie for the clan we're trying to start up. I can load a level set up actors, camera, lights but I can't really find a way to pose this fade model I've put into it. How far along is the Cinematic Editor in development? Have you guys not released any updates for it since much earlier builds? I understand that the publicity videos you guys put out you had used to it for correct? I am looking to do a little skit between a fade and a marine.

Comments

• zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    i imagine animation would have to be done in 3rd party cntent creation software and imported into the editor
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    It's fairly complicated.

Open the main menu cinematic to see what I'm talking about.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    I see and starting to understand the events function. So animations have to be built into the model file that is used and triggered with events etc etc

Just trying to figure out how I have to do this custom fade animation - viewer just allows you to look at them.
    <!--quoteo(post=1821618:date=Jan 5 2011, 07:11 AM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Jan 5 2011, 07:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just trying to figure out how I have to do this custom fade animation - viewer just allows you to look at them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

3rd party content creation software
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    There's no way to pose characters in the cinematic editor. It only allows you to place them, trigger certain animations that they already have at specific times, and move them around (you can translate them, but they won't animate unless you also trigger, say, a run animation). So, for any unique animations that you'd want to have you'd need someone to animate the models in a 3d program like 3dsmax and export them into the game engine to be loaded and accessed via the cinematic editor.

That said, there are quite a few poses and animations for the Fade and all the other characters, so you might be able to find something from the list that will work for you.

We have been trying to find the time to put together a guide for using the cinematic editor, because there is quite a lot that can be done with it, and we'd love to start seeing some movies created by the community. I'll see if we can get the ball rolling on that, and in the meantime try to get our cinematic expert to post some quick basics here to get you started, if you still are having difficulties.

--Cory
    what kind of soft skinning/bone count limitations does spark have?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Don't be discouraged by the cinematic editor's learning curve Rulgrok! It took me forever to work out but I slowly got a handle on putting scenes together, and once you get it it's so much fun. Very powerful too!

The most important thing to remember is to save every time you change something, just in case it crashes!
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    Problem is the poses I am looking for I would have to do myself as I can't get them from the prebuilt animation. Was trying to do a funny skit.
    <!--quoteo(post=1821642:date=Jan 5 2011, 09:36 AM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Jan 5 2011, 09:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Problem is the poses I am looking for I would have to do myself as I can't get them from the prebuilt animation. Was trying to do a funny skit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd offer to help but apparently the requirements are not easily available