Dead Space

wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
I think of the modern futuristic spaceship games, deadspace has the most awesome atmosphere. It reminds me of the cold, oddly nostalgic yet scarily real feelings I felt upon playing NS back in the day.

NS 2 is coming a long way, and probably way far in for many suggestions I can make. But I'd really like for the game to mirror the cold loneliness (talking more about setting not literally the lack of teammates) and intense adrenaline rush.

Just a small idea would be to enhance the ambient noises to be subtle, with very dynamically real and mood setting effects for things like footsteps or vent walking (instead of just skulk footsteps). Also some really mean bindable alien shrieks would be killer!

That being said I can't wait till NS2 comes a little more further along so I can test the emotion and atmosphere without being brought back into the real world with lag.

Comments

• HolepuncherHolepuncher Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76021Members
    I tell you one thing, no matter how many times I've seen it happen...

being a marine in a room when the power goes out and skulks rush in is always epic
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    and then the emergency lights come on, and our dark little fantasies are exposed to the harsh red light of reality.
  • Shadow58Shadow58 Join Date: 2009-11-17 Member: 69406Members
    what you think about backup generators??
    that would be interesting. Man wacky idea, if you can bust the power grid, you reacon they should make levels where gravity goes off?
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820365:date=Dec 30 2010, 03:07 PM:name=Shadow58)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shadow58 @ Dec 30 2010, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what you think about backup generators??
    that would be interesting. Man wacky idea, if you can bust the power grid, you reacon they should make levels where gravity goes off?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definitely! This is what I'm talking about. Things that not only affect gameplay but atmosphere (already implemented with the power nodes) and mood. I loved the vacuum in deadspace where sounds were reduced also.

Dynamic gameplay is the best gameplay!
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    It really looks like they amped the atmosphere with that last update, makes me happy =)
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1820245:date=Dec 30 2010, 04:40 AM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ Dec 30 2010, 04:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think of the modern futuristic spaceship games, deadspace has the most awesome atmosphere. It reminds me of the cold, oddly nostalgic yet scarily real feelings I felt upon playing NS back in the day.

NS 2 is coming a long way, and probably way far in for many suggestions I can make. But I'd really like for the game to mirror the cold loneliness (talking more about setting not literally the lack of teammates) and intense adrenaline rush.

Just a small idea would be to enhance the ambient noises to be subtle, with very dynamically real and mood setting effects for things like footsteps or vent walking (instead of just skulk footsteps). Also some really mean bindable alien shrieks would be killer!

That being said I can't wait till NS2 comes a little more further along so I can test the emotion and atmosphere without being brought back into the real world with lag.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has some great graphics and atmosphere, shame it handles like a dead dog stuffed in a wheelybin, and that's *WITH* the 360 controller, it is to all intents and purposes completely unplayable with mouse and keyboard.