Installer (custom content)

SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Install all Assets in just a few clicks</div>I have seen the question sooooo many times about level downloads. I know they are working on it but it is pretty far out to be implemented so if you need to share files to others for testing or early release then this tool will help greatly.

I use this for my level testing group---> <a href="http://www.clickteam.com/website/usa/installcreator.html" target="_blank">Installer exe Builder (freeware)</a>

It makes is much easier for people who don't know there way around the hard drives. It also creates an uninstaller also that will remove anything installed by it.

oh, It also recognizes if the installer is launched on a x86 system so if the install path C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2 on window xp and on windows vista and windows 7 it will automatically point to C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2 .

You just compile the folder structure the same as the game, add custom bitmaps and icons for installer window/icon (optional) then build exe. I've been using this for years and it works flawlessly.

It's very intuitive and easy to configure and build. Sure fire way so people can install all your level assets in just a few clicks.

Hope this helps someone as it's been very useful for me over the years.

<u><i>(remember to test your installer before releasing it to the installee)</i></u>

Comments

• TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited December 2010
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited December 2010
    Thank you so much. I was thinking codding a special map installer.
    This may be enough for now but still we need some special things in.level file for maps mostly protected information.

Username of the author, password, map name, authors, map version, version of editor, size, created date and time, bla bla..
    All of those should be included in "*.level" file..