Missing the good old feeling of NS1

snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi mates,
i played NS2 alot, and its funny for 5-10 Minutes, maybe it depends on its beta status, but its boring... im not sure why, but im missing the good old ns1 feeling... i cant describe it. There was more fun in NS1 beta than in NS2 beta...

maybe its the gamplay, there is a lot of new stuff in there, which is maybe to overloaded... i really want the classic back :( aliens no commander but FUN! Marines like Arcadeshooter with commander, OLDSCHOOL!!! Thats what im missing ;)

And the biggest feature of NS2 what iam hoping for is dynamic infestation ... any news about that? i think they kicked it into trash :(

Whats your opinion?

greets
Snooops

Comments

• SpaZSpaZ Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17256Members
    Don't worry. Someone will make NS classic mode eventually for NS2.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ok and what about dynamic infestation? Does it come or is it dropped?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    No, it is still in. Please be patient, this game is still 'very much' in working.

If you want to really help, bug report and or discuss balance issues.
  • KastralisKastralis Join Date: 2007-01-23 Member: 59730Members
    Why complain about a game only in its beta stage? There is still so much more to implement and do...
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    a large part of this feeling-absence is to blame on the lack of smoothness right now!

when netcode works properly and modern midrange gaming computers have no trouble delivering 60fps flat,
    gameplay will pick up for real and we will most likely get the ns-feel!
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    This game, to me, feels incomplete. I think to many players, even the ones who play it comfortably and regularly, it feels incomplete. And of course, that's because it is incomplete.
    (In my case though, it's mostly that I just can't play for more than a few minutes before I get this horrendous graphics error - however, unlike 159, I have managed to join the alien team since 160. But the error returns at random moments. Got a completely blind fade kill once. Amusing.)
  • CymenCymen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818334:date=Dec 22 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Kastralis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kastralis @ Dec 22 2010, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why complain about a game only in its beta stage? There is still so much more to implement and do...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this.
    besides: NS1 is still out there. Go play it then!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited December 2010
    To me the NS1 feeling is a feeling of being a very mobile alien with superb senses, or, a marine who has to work with a team under a commander.

NS2 isn't quite there yet. When skulk wall running is fixed, when we have the cloaking ability and when I can swoop around as an agile lerk maybe the feeling will be the same. Game performance is a huge issue of course. NS1 was flawless in those terms whereas NS2 can feel very awkward at this stage.

As for the marine side...I don't know yet. Too early to say. It will take time for the devs to refine and complete the commander user interface, and for players to learn about the maps and different strategies. The vast majority of NS2 matches I've played haven't had what could be called a 'commander'. There were guys who sat in the chair and built sentries and clicked a button to research flamethrowers, then we won the game. It's a rush to get flamethrowers and then we wait for victory. Not yet as dynamic as NS1.

One thing which is totally absent from NS2 is the feeling of suspense. You never feel worried walking through corridors that an alien could jump out, and as an alien you don't feel that you have to use specific tactics to kill marines and avoid their strong weapons. The atmosphere in the games is similar to NS1 combat. The maps are very bright and the aliens don't look threatening.