GameOvermind

Comments

• Squiffy101Squiffy101 Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62608Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912480:date=Mar 13 2012, 05:22 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 13 2012, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server#Web_Administration" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde..._Administration</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Player :-)

Hmmmm...seems like I have to open up a load of support tickets to get the .exe changed each time which is a pain and Gameservers.com would probably get annoyed if they had to keep altering it. (Got to be thankful that they are hosting a beta!).

Looks like I'll wait until UWE finalise the game code which will hopefully incorporate web admin. In the meantime, I'll continue with your great mod player!

(Hope they appreciate the work you've done for them.....possibly you'll get some recognition or more like NS2HD has ;-))
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Alright, the whole mod has been up and running again for a while now on the new Lua-layer (can't really be called a layer though, more like a very very VERY thin bit of abstraction that incurs zero performance-loss). The new layer and further multi-threading the recorder (probably the first time I mentioned this, but the gamestate-recorder is very multi-threaded, in that it spends as little time as possible in the main game-loop and offloads as much work as possible into other threads), has resulted in that I think it can almost be used in 6v6 matches on powerful servers (think inv\HBZ\pureaus) while keeping a 20-30 tick-rate. There are a lot more details involved though, and I'll still be making that post about it I promised months ago.

For now, I actually posted to ask if any server-admins could go ahead and run the "ents"-command in the server-console while the server is populated in mid\end-game. It'll produce information about the number of entities in the game at that time, which tells me what entity-count I should take into account when performance-testing. The line will be printed into the server-(console)log, it looks like this:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->112 entities (0 players, 0 playing, 0 weapons, 21 structures, 2 blips, 3 infests, 2 command structures on teams).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can of course also use "om_servercommand ents".
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'd love to know the number of ents that NS2 reaches in the late game. I believe it is purely the number of entities that cause the mid/late game performance issues on servers. Would be good to track just how much is being produced :)
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    No games running now, but you have all priv on Pure anyway, so feel free if you see its got some players.
    Aye but it doesn't tell me through the console, you'd have to FTP\RDP in and check the log-file.
    edited March 2012
    Ohh ok, i thought you could do it from the console, or from the game and read it. Well feel free to do it anyway, if you notice a game is running. I archive all log files and can check it later.

edit: There is a 5v5 scrim running right now, the map is kind of empty as marines slowly clear it out, but the game i think has been going for a while.
    351 entities (13 players, 10 playing, 38 weapons, 64 structures, 13 blips, 12 infests, 3 command structures on teams).
    Hmmm, that's more than what I guestimated, I suppose a 6v6 in the heat of battle could go up to 500-600 entities worst-case. Fortunatly there is still a lot of room for optimization I can do, back to the work.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    WoW that is way less than I guesstimated :P
    large 9v9 game on Tram, plenty of hydras (20+?) 3-4 hives, marines down to 1 base. The server log was already dead, but I was able to view it by hitting tab on the server console
    Excuse the typos, im copying out from a screenshot
    832 ents, 18 players, 18 playing, 56 weps, 179 structus, 24 blips, 82 infests, 5 command
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi player, really nice admin mod you got? Just cerious, you remember how adminmod or metamod för NS1? About talking commands, like admin_csay etc etc. Giving cool message in-game to all players. Will you ever consider adding that?

And also is there a function to auto give message in-game in regular chat. Example: "Please visit us at www.myhomesite.com". Thats a function that all admin mod has :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1914971:date=Mar 19 2012, 12:34 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Mar 19 2012, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->large 9v9 game on Tram, plenty of hydras (20+?) 3-4 hives, marines down to 1 base. The server log was already dead, but I was able to view it by hitting tab on the server console
    Excuse the typos, im copying out from a screenshot
    832 ents, 18 players, 18 playing, 56 weps, 179 structus, 24 blips, 82 infests, 5 command<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    50 entities per player sounds like a good rule of thumb, that means eventually I have to manage recordings of 1600 entities at decent speeds (16v16). Nothing a basement-dweller like myself can't manage.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi player, really nice admin mod you got? Just cerious, you remember how adminmod or metamod för NS1? About talking commands, like admin_csay etc etc. Giving cool message in-game to all players. Will you ever consider adding that?

And also is there a function to auto give message in-game in regular chat. Example: "Please visit us at www.myhomesite.com". Thats a function that all admin mod has :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why would you want to send your players to some home-designing website? Joking aside, all those features are planned or implemented already (in the super-secret version nobody but me has access to).
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1915037:date=Mar 19 2012, 03:47 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 19 2012, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would you want to send your players to some home-designing website? Joking aside, all those features are planned or implemented already (in the super-secret version nobody but me has access to).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahaha when are we getting that? =) Would be awesome to have thos features then this admin mode would be completed, fully featured adminmod :D
    The rewrite is just gobbling up time. I've been spending the last month on the user\ban storage-mechanism. The various subsystems (ingame\RCon\IRC\query-responder) all use the same concept of file\database-storage, that I've been unifying them (have them re-use the same code). It involves virtual (multiple) inheritance combined with templates, very much headache-inducing. It's almost done though, which will be another major milestone.

As for a release-date, I'm saying "when it's done" and sticking to it. It'll be before NS2 v1.0, surely...
    <!--quoteo(post=1915129:date=Mar 19 2012, 07:47 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 19 2012, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The rewrite is just gobbling up time. I've been spending the last month on the user\ban storage-mechanism. The various subsystems (ingame\RCon\IRC\query-responder) all use the same concept of file\database-storage, that I've been unifying them (have them re-use the same code). It involves virtual (multiple) inheritance combined with templates, very much headache-inducing. It's almost done though, which will be another major milestone.

As for a release-date, I'm saying "when it's done" and sticking to it. It'll be before NS2 v1.0, surely...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay player, tums up ^^ Take your time, I'll really be looking forward to that function. That would make my ns2 server perfect :D

Anyway to speed up the progress? Free bears? Vodka?
    <!--quoteo(post=1915324:date=Mar 20 2012, 03:58 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Mar 20 2012, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyway to speed up the progress? Free bears? Vodka?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.nybarfly.com/my_weblog/2011/08/vodka-addicted-bears-a-huge-problem-in-ukraine.html" target="_blank">http://www.nybarfly.com/my_weblog/2011/08/...in-ukraine.html</a>
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    can we get a sneak peak of anything, player? got a new server up and loving what you've done so far. donations through paypal?
    Here's a little snapshot of GameOvermind's verbosity-abilities: <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38570801/Testlog.txt" target="_blank">Testlog.txt</a> (too large to paste into a post, which in and of itself should tell you how much it logs). This isn't some kind of special debug-log either, it'll look like that all the time, and will no doubt aid in diagnosing issues for server-operators as well as modders.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited March 2012
    only problem i see with a log file like that is the log files are going to get real big real fast. i would hope you will have some sortive controll over the verboseness of the log files. have you tested it to see how big it will get during an actual game?

looks like that was just from level load and if thats true the log files will be way to big. dont get me wrong im all for that much detail but there needs to be some control for those that dont want there log files going out of control.
    It will have a system similar to the priviliges, where you can set any combination of options for things to be logged, so yea what you're looking at is maximum-verbosity and it doesn't necessarily have to be that detailed if server-operators don't wish it. Also, GameOvermind will have a seperate file-logging system it writes to, and I will surely put in a daily-file kind of thing, where it creates a new log-file for each day (and possible each hour, or even minute).
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited March 2012
    cool as long as the options are there will be nice to have. more options for stuff is always better just making sure you dont get too much ahead of your self and let us chose to turn some of the stuff off if we need to.

cant wait to see the final product player keep up the good work.

still would be intrested to see what you got for file size when its on full with playing an actual game.
    I put up a <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38570801/NS2GmOvrmind(v15).rar" target="_blank">new version</a> that removes the query-responder, and instead uses NS2's own query-responder to push rules (and gametags). This way other folks don't have to figure out if\where the GameOvermind-queryresponder is running, and can just query servers directly. If everything goes right fsfod should come out with a new version of the menumod that will display the tickrate in the server-browser.

GameOvermind's own query-responder (which is still superior to NS2's default version) will make a come-back in the rewrite (where it will sit completely in-place of NS2's version, and therefor give the same benefits you can now yield with v15's change).

The config-files have changed slightly (removal of the query-responder essentially), so keep in mind to do the usual translation instead of copy-pasting.
    Sorry player, i dont really understand what V15 is doing, maybe im a little tired.

27015: game port
    27016: NS2 query responder
    27017: GM query responder

Is the above right? Or close enough that the below still makes sense?

So V15 has removed the service on port 27017, and we can go back to using only 2 ports?

I'm not sure that I will update to this one, it would involve me changing a few of my scripts which I cbf doing, is there a benefit from this new version?
    It's just a version to see how well tick-rate reporting goes through the game-tags (in conjunction with fsfod's menumod).

To straighten it out once and for all,

v14:
    27016: NS2 query responder

v15:
    27016: NS2 query responder (hijacked by GameOvermind)

Rewrite:

Things will be a bit unclear until the rewrite is done and everything\everyone will be put on the same track again. I've put both v14 and v15 in the start-post so you can kinda figure out for yourself what you want to do.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I am loving the tickrate displayed now using the menumod, very useful!
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Using OM commands in build 201 seems to crash me. Anybody else?
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Looks like overmind is having issues with the latest patch (201) - UWE changed the way text is networked in this patch to add a "say" console command on the server.

For any server running overmind all player text shows up without spaces if they are using this mod.
    I'll have it fixed in a jiffy.
    It's fixed: <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38570801/NS2GmOvrmind(v16).zip" target="_blank">v16</a>. If you are on v15 you can keep your config-files, v14 or lower will have to translate (due to the removal of the queryresponder and all).
    Thanks! Unfortunately i wont be able to have this updated for a few hours, im about to go out. Sorry to the Australian players.

This isnt the first time that a new build has been incompatible with a old version of GM. There is nothing that player can do about it, I understand that, but why is there still NO playtesting without the mod?

Put simply every real server uses this mod, but none of the playtesting does. It may not be UWE's problem, but it sure does look bad when all of the servers people play on dont work after a new patch. You get the idea.
  • bygarip01bygarip01 Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148986Members
    tskler guzel paylasim olmus