First impressions of a brand new player

2»

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    edited December 2010
    ok, ok, ok. This weekend I could copy the NS1 tutorial and transform it to NS2. It is really easy because most parts are the same and what needs to be changed is not much. I will add it to the wiki.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    The learning map created by... Oh gawd I forgot....

Who made that fan made tutorial map anyways, which was released in <strike>early 2009</strike> I think...

I shall quest for this info! <b>Quest completed, you now receive cookies from all members adventurer (yay)</b>

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83666" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....showtopic=83666</a>

Meat_Popsicle and his ns_training, released early 2005 even!
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    ;) :p
    Great work on that...
  • Sentinel1Sentinel1 Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7356Members
    Maybe a simple solution is the best? Make the hints more visible and last longer and tell people explicitly "If you're playing your first few games, why not spectate and learn the basics?". Otherwise just tell people "The command centre dispenses ammo, weapons and can even heal you". Tedious advice for an experienced player, but allow players to turn off hints and it's a decent solution.

I've just thought of another idea, hints on the main menu? A little box with scrolling hints which can be easily turned off. You might even sexify it: "Tactical Advice: Lerks can fly" etc.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    cl_tooltips 0 all over again? :P
    It's not very original I know, and the main menu is pretty good as it stands.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Who the hell wants to spectate for 'their' first games? When's the last time you did that with a new game?
    It's not forced, only suggested. Spectate to learn, think before you act.
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    - TF2 offers you practice with bots
    - Bad Company 2 has a campaign
    - Battlefield 2 offers you practice with bots
    - America's Army offers training courses

I'd say it's obvious some form of introduction to the game is needed, especially with the complexity of NS2. Maybe a (heavily scripted) tutorial/challenge mode? (follow the bots there, kill the skulk on the ceiling, build a resource node, return to base to defend, jump in command station and rebuild the IP etc.)
    I think some people are on it already Vic. Your idea is the correct one :D
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1816057:date=Dec 15 2010, 07:46 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Dec 15 2010, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are currently working on a real gameplay trailer, with actual in game footage.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

cheers Cory, good to know.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1816366:date=Dec 16 2010, 04:14 AM:name=Vic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vic @ Dec 16 2010, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- TF2 offers you practice with bots
    - Bad Company 2 has a campaign
    - Battlefield 2 offers you practice with bots
    - America's Army offers training courses

I'd say it's obvious some form of introduction to the game is needed, especially with the complexity of NS2. Maybe a (heavily scripted) tutorial/challenge mode? (follow the bots there, kill the skulk on the ceiling, build a resource node, return to base to defend, jump in command station and rebuild the IP etc.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also makes me think of the first Modern Warfare, where the player completes a very realistic training course in order to determine what difficulty to play the game on. I could very much see the TSA putting marines through some sort of "holo exercise" as a tutorial map. Give the player a warning when introducing each life form, with some scripting thrown in. As for the aliens, make it like the hive "mother" is teaching her child how to survive. Could have lots of fun with narration, like when introducing ambush-from-the-ceiling tactics, have her give a cold, unforgiving order to expel the intruder by hitting space to drop down. Contrast the loving way she speaks to her children and the hatred when speaking of humans.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Lore-wise it would be more fitting to have it be something like memories being recalled.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1816361:date=Dec 16 2010, 03:21 PM:name=Sentinel1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sentinel1 @ Dec 16 2010, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not forced, only suggested. Spectate to learn, think before you act.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like I asked already, when's the last time you did that with a game you just started?

<!--quoteo(post=1816381:date=Dec 16 2010, 06:29 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Dec 16 2010, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816381"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for the aliens, make it like the hive "mother" is teaching her child how to survive. Could have lots of fun with narration, like when introducing ambush-from-the-ceiling tactics, have her give a cold, unforgiving order to expel the intruder by hitting space to drop down. Contrast the loving way she speaks to her children and the hatred when speaking of humans.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That idea sounds remarkably cool. I love it.