Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 159 released

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 159 released here

Comments

• Pr0nPr0n Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13592Members
    omg omg omg omg crapping my pants and D/Ling right now!
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Not sure if its just a placebo; but the game felt a bit more hitchy for me / 0fps for a few moments etc (and when I mentioned it in game a few agreed, others said it was better).
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    awwwe no new models. good stuff anyways
  • NimbatNimbat Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75146Members
    Ahh, can't wait to see the resource improvements. Hopefully Marines won't get their BBQ DOOM MEGA DEATH ULTRASPANK StormsuckerLightningPulse2000 flamethrowers way too early :D
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    I can never find the changelog, where is it located?
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Guys, the patch is great. Really great.
    Had a lot of fun and all the small things when I played really added up! Lerk flight have been improved, the resource-rate is much more stable, the flow of the game somehow just clicked for some reason now and I can't wait to get up tomorrow and give this game the attention it deserves :)
    Just thinking what will happen when DI and the missing units comes into play is just nerd-chilling.
    Good job!
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814948:date=Dec 11 2010, 12:10 AM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Dec 11 2010, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can never find the changelog, where is it located?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Check it: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/</a>
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    Dang, totally unexpected. I check the tracker daily (if clicking my bookmark 20 times a day is "daily") and didn't expect another patch for a week or two. Nice!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Had a really smooth 10 player game a few minutes ago. Great job. And I like the new rifle sounds.
  • morphmanmorphman Join Date: 2010-11-29 Member: 75341Members
    I'm so excited! And i just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. I like it.

Seriously though, the pace at which you guys keep improving the game is awesome. I look forward to each and every new build!
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    new whip sound effect is cool
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I've been getting a few crashes recently; crashed on game end as commander.

Also, we totally owned the map and kept closing in on marines which was fun. I ended up with 560 'blue' (plasma? carbon? I forget what icon was what!) and like 3 of the green carbon I think (that you spend building structures as comm).

Sort of made me not care about the 560 of 'blue', im not sure what purpose it served me.
  • MrGreenMrGreen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75602Members
    This build is definitely the best yet!
    Game runs so much better with so much less lag!

However on my first game, as the game ended the game crashed.

But certainly looking much more polished now.

Keep up the good work guys!
  • ZachZach Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73278Members
    edited December 2010
    Excellent job!

The main thing I noticed was that you can actually change weapon during reloading now! (I've been waiting for that!)
    But it did feel like it was a little hard to hit aliens (hitboxes / detection). Besides that, purely an epic feeling and I can't wait to wake up in the morning to try it out some more!
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited December 2010
    great job guys, looking forward to this!
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    As I stated to all the those who were in the server the first minutes the patch was released.... I creamed my panties.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    good job guys, very noticable! keep up the good work.
    allso PLEASE!!! nerf the flame thrower IT IS A GAME KILLER!
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Wow can't wait to try this out.
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    any significant play testing is now pretty much impossible, due the the marine resource gimping and alien zerg tactics means its pretty much impossible to get a IP built before your base is full of skulks and if by some miracle you do get one built its impossible to expand beyond the start base as you never have enough resources to do so.

while it could be argued that the kharaa players could let the marines build a base up first, there seems to be significant amount of twats on the go just rushing and wiping out the marine base in the first minute.

p.s, if anybody reading this is one of the above mentioned twats could you please bugger off back to xbox live you bawbags...
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Whip attack sound makes me cringe as Aliem Comm and a Marine! I love it the new reticles as well :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Impressions:

1) Significant improvement in network performance (esp with lots of players), not completely there yet though
    2) New rifle sounds are awesome! It has that distinctive sound like the NS1 rifle had
    3) Whip sound is cool
    4) PLEASE fix that sound looping bug when using the rifle! It's so annoying :o

Things that would be useful in near-future patches:

1) Scoreboard should update who is dead and reinforcing like in NS1
    2) Round timer like NS1 has
  • tisboyaatisboyaa Join Date: 2010-12-09 Member: 75574Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1814971:date=Dec 11 2010, 01:36 AM:name=BlitzThose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlitzThose @ Dec 11 2010, 01:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its pretty much impossible to get a IP built before your base is full of skulks and if by some miracle you do get one built its impossible to expand beyond the start base as you never have enough resources to do so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is because the map ns2_rockdown is a test map and is too small... wait until more official maps come out this won't happen !
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814971:date=Dec 11 2010, 01:36 AM:name=BlitzThose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlitzThose @ Dec 11 2010, 01:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->any significant play testing is now pretty much impossible, due the the marine resource gimping and alien zerg tactics means its pretty much impossible to get a IP built before your base is full of skulks and if by some miracle you do get one built its impossible to expand beyond the start base as you never have enough resources to do so.

while it could be argued that the kharaa players could let the marines build a base up first, there seems to be significant amount of twats on the go just rushing and wiping out the marine base in the first minute.

p.s, if anybody reading this is one of the above mentioned twats could you please bugger off back to xbox live you bawbags...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you talking about rockdown?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Slowed resource production a lot to come closer to NS1 (estimating that NS1 teams spent ~50% of resources on weapons and health/ammo)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ugh, I knew this sounded bad when I read it, but playing this build has only made me realize its worse than I thought. I understand not doing any serious balancing until the game is feature complete, but can we stop making it more imbalanced in favor of the aliens? Its hard to playtest anything else when most matches end with a dominating alien victory. At the very least, up the resource rate and MAC build speed until you plan on doing the full and proper gameplay balancing so that marines stand a chance.

Besides that, great job on nearly everything else. This build is much less laggy (or it has the same lag but with higher player counts).
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    did you guys do something with the graphics engine or client-server updates? it's much smoother now. much less hitching when changing views rapidly (i.e. melee with a skulk).
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't know what kind of awesome you guys just injected into NS2, but it is awesome. Just played four 8v8's (Yes, 16 players!) in a row, butter smooth. Saw at least 7 sentries and 5 hydras at one point in one of those games. Well done, nice work!
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    I gotta ask: When are we getting a minimap/full map for ground forces?
  • throttlethrottle Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22776Members, Constellation
    Great Job. This was the first time you could actually aim and know things were hitting. I actually saw a grenade bounce next to me and then kill me. Huge improvement!

* Flame effect is still too much, can't see, think TF2 burn effect.
    * Still egg spawn stuck in places.
    * The demo map is, of course, too small. Aliens win most games just by running to marine start*
    * Flame damage is too high, or there's too much fuel available for the flame thrower.
  • Dr. RocksoDr. Rockso Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75114Members
    great work guys.

you may want to fix that link in the post though:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progres" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progres</a>

correct link:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress</a>