NS2 Fade - Serious Discussion

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Blink on release would be a good addition, it doesn't need to be two clicks.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    ... and how would you cancel blinking if you decided you didn't want to do it?
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Option 1: Same as now. Left click cancels blink. To be more precise: Left click after right mouse down will get right mouse up ignored.
    Option 2: You don't cancel it. Know when to attempt to blink and when not.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815498:date=Dec 13 2010, 03:37 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Dec 13 2010, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you wrote three words, and wall of text everything else off-topic.

many feels fade's aren't "fine".
    this problem needs to be tackled now, while we are in beta - we should be coming up with ideas how to fix this problem.

the two button method needs to be changed.
    blinking into vents and at moving targets plus poor aiming hurting this class. In addition, fade is over roll slow compared to ns1 fade.

look over the videos i've linked as examples - they should provide better understanding for those who haven't played fade yet.

stay on topic, please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fade is fine
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    edited December 2010
    Added Fade controls change suggestion to GetSatisfaction, you can vote for it if you want:
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/fade_controls_change_hold_mouse2_for_ghost_release_mouse2_for_blink" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...ouse2_for_blink</a>
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815538:date=Dec 13 2010, 06:23 PM:name=Vic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vic @ Dec 13 2010, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added Fade controls change suggestion to GetSatisfaction, you can vote for it if you want:
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/fade_controls_change_hold_mouse2_for_ghost_release_mouse2_for_blink" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...ouse2_for_blink</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cancelling blink makes swipe -> making sound not good.

Even if there was no swipe it slows down if you wanna swipe.

1-click blink with small crosshair seems most viable imo.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    luns - ofc i watched your video... and i have to say... l2p.
    <!--quoteo(post=1815530:date=Dec 13 2010, 02:40 PM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Dec 13 2010, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... and how would you cancel blinking if you decided you didn't want to do it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Er, how would you do that now?

Don't press the button if you don't want to blink somewhere.

The idea is you look where you want to go and press the key, in the less likely event that you want to precisely target it, hold it down to get an aiming ghost.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    looking to the future, i'm worried fades won't be an equal match for jetpackers, which they should be. blinking to a jetpackers back does no good. i still vote for blink to netherworld movement where you can jump super high and run super fast. that or bring back the fade hand cannon, otherwise we're not gonna be able to kill jetpackers.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    great discussion.
    included everything good and bad about new mechanic.
    A couple of off-topics but...that's expected

I voted for the click-release on get satisfaction. woohoo

again great discussion.
    the more playable this gets ...the better discussions we get to have.
  • SarkaosSarkaos Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815580:date=Dec 13 2010, 12:12 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Dec 13 2010, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->looking to the future, i'm worried fades won't be an equal match for jetpackers, which they should be. blinking to a jetpackers back does no good. i still vote for blink to netherworld movement where you can jump super high and run super fast. that or bring back the fade hand cannon, otherwise we're not gonna be able to kill jetpackers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think people need to stop worrying about the "future" and what's *not* in the game yet. Jet-packers will probably be a lot different than what you imagine. Instead, focus on current state of the game, tweak it. Play testing is everything. When the game is balanced, add something, tweak it, find balance, add something, rinse, repeat. This is what they do.

About blink, I think I like the suggestion to hold M2 to get the destination ghost or cursor or whatever. Click = instant teleport, hold & release for precise mouvement. Distance-based adrenaline cost, also a nice idea IMO.
    <!--quoteo(post=1815580:date=Dec 13 2010, 06:12 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Dec 13 2010, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->looking to the future, i'm worried fades won't be an equal match for jetpackers, which they should be. blinking to a jetpackers back does no good. i still vote for blink to netherworld movement where you can jump super high and run super fast. that or bring back the fade hand cannon, otherwise we're not gonna be able to kill jetpackers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You realise that jetpacks aren't neccesarily going to be the endless rocket fart packs they were in late NS1?
  • elmo33elmo33 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68377Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815590:date=Dec 13 2010, 08:32 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 13 2010, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You realise that jetpacks aren't neccesarily going to be the endless rocket fart packs they were in late NS1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I sure hope they are, afterall its supposed to be after NS1, so technology should go forward, not backwards. Sadly looking at a lot of things it seems they are indeed devolving, so you might just be right.
    <!--quoteo(post=1815607:date=Dec 13 2010, 07:20 PM:name=elmo33)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo33 @ Dec 13 2010, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I sure hope they are, afterall its supposed to be after NS1, so technology should go forward, not backwards. Sadly looking at a lot of things it seems they are indeed devolving, so you might just be right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's also a game, so it needs to be fun, stuff technology and fluff, make it fun, not storyballs.

By that rationalisation mass effect 2 is terrible because they took my infinite ammo death ray off me and gave me a crappy SMG with clips to replace it.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1815579:date=Dec 13 2010, 07:04 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 13 2010, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Er, how would you do that now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Left-click.
    <!--quoteo(post=1815613:date=Dec 13 2010, 07:28 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Dec 13 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Left-click.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Didn't think that got rid of the ghost.

I don't really think it's neccesary, by that logic leap should be two clicks. You don't need a molly guard on a frequently used movement power.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Maybe it's a bug and only works like that for me, but it's kind of suboptimal in any case since it makes noise...

I would like single-click blink.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1815532:date=Dec 13 2010, 09:45 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Dec 13 2010, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Option 1: Same as now. Left click cancels blink. To be more precise: Left click after right mouse down will get right mouse up ignored.
    Option 2: You don't cancel it. Know when to attempt to blink and when not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would like to emphasize this. I've seen many arguments (including a dev's) for why it requires 2 right clicks and its always "what if you want to cancel?". 95% of the time I am not looking to cancel, and currently in the rare occurrence I do, I <b>have to use the left click anyway</b> so why can't blink be setup like option 1?? The only argument I can see against is "it's too hard to left click while right clicking" but that's on the same level of "it's too hard to push [run] while pushing [forward]"...

Honestly I feel the push-release method is what a new player often expects the behavior to be and it really does make more sense..
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    edited December 2010
    Toyed with the LUAs, just to see what would the hold+release blink feel like. It's my first attempt at modding, so I didn't modify much and didn't try to add canceling, but here it is: <a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/436759144/mod_fade.zip" target="_blank">http://rapidshare.com/files/436759144/mod_fade.zip</a>

Extract to [...]Steam/steamapps/common/natural selection 2/ , run NS2.exe -game mod_fade

(Enter map ns2_rockdown, cheats 1, j2, fade in console to test it quickly)
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815530:date=Dec 13 2010, 09:40 AM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Dec 13 2010, 09:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... and how would you cancel blinking if you decided you didn't want to do it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pressing mouse1, like it is now.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2010
    -Blink is an ability with its primary means being to quickly jump from one position to another; therefor the ability to quickly execute as well is crucial.

-Double-clicking takes more time to do than click-release. In order to click twice you must have already clicked once.

-Double-click or click-release; to cancel the blink requires pressing mouse1.

How is double-click better? Or better yet how is click-release a disadvantage?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    So, rightclick-release for accurate variable distances (with the option to cancel with leftclick), and single-rightclick for instant blink a static distance (obviously no option to cancel), <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and preserve momentum, slightly increase the Fade's walk speed and make him jump higher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, seeing as they took out automatic orientation post-blink, perhaps you could have a half-second 3rd person view post-blink, which snaps back to first-person view after that half-second, so you could quickly know your position with respect to everything else and orient yourself towards the target of your choosing.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1815756:date=Dec 13 2010, 07:03 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Dec 13 2010, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Blink is an ability with its primary means being to quickly jump from one position to another; therefor the ability to quickly execute as well is crucial.

-Double-clicking takes more time to do than click-release. In order to click twice you must have already clicked once.

-Double-click or click-release; to cancel the blink requires pressing mouse1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I completely agree with Laser that this would be the most fluid way to handle the Fade blink. IMO it's too "clunky" as it currently is and having to double-click to blink wastes time unnecessarily.

<!--quoteo(post=1815790:date=Dec 13 2010, 10:00 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 13 2010, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, seeing as they took out automatic orientation post-blink, perhaps you could have a half-second 3rd person view post-blink, which snaps back to first-person view after that half-second, so you could quickly know your position with respect to everything else and orient yourself towards the target of your choosing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you're on to something here... Although I would rather have a half-second <b>first person</b> view post-blink to get oriented before your model actually appears in game, unless you do the double-click for a quick getaway as Laser mentioned above (and then it would just go immediately without any delay so the marines couldn't predict your path so easily).

ETA: Although now that I think about the post-blink orientation, a problem occurs when you're trying to blink next to or behind a marine and he's moving and you're stuck in a post-blink orientation while the marine is moving out of the kill-zone.... hmmmm....
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1815813:date=Dec 14 2010, 04:31 AM:name=Warmonger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warmonger @ Dec 14 2010, 04:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although I would rather have a half-second <b>first person</b> view post-blink to get oriented before your model actually appears in game....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Third person gives more information.

I wouldn't like switching from third person to first person every time I blinked, however. Very jarring.

This wouldn't be a problem if third person was the regular mode for melee classes.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    It's more that after blinking (i.e. you've already blinked into the new coordinates), you want to orient yourself based on which target you want to strike or whatever, because by blinking, you're in an entirely new position but facing the same direction you were before; and if you're just blinking straight at and directly in front of your target that's fine, but otherwise it's a bit of a pain. Temporary third-person would give you the opportunity to see around you and figure out what direction to turn, before it switches back to first-person. It serves as a manual replacement for the auto-orientation, obviously with more control. But basically it's kind of a preservation of the visual information you had before the blink, a 'memory' if you will, that allows you to orient yourself as necessary after the blink.
    I kind of see the ghost model as the 3rd person view. Although I agree anything to reorient yourself helps, blink is supposed to land you exactly how the ghost model displays so it's practically accomplishing the same thing.

All I can think of to further help in reorientation would be a very quick (only a few frames) of interpolation between where you were and where you will land. The fade will blink instantly but the camera will 'lag behind' a split second and give the user a sense of warping from place to place really fast. The transitional frames would be 3rd person (spectate style) but will give the user a chance to see themselves appearing where they land. For this to work correctly it needs to be quick though otherwise as said can be a bit jarring. I think this might be quite fluid feeling and better help the transition between blinks?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    Like I said in the other thread, I'd rather have it they actually remove the orientation part. I just want to blink into an area, while being 100% sure of how I am orientated in the world, so I can act accordingly by spinning in the correct direction to claw at a building or a marine.

The slowdown currently is not the result of the doubleclick, it is the part where you blink in and then have to orientate yourself because the engine thought you should be looking at an armory instead of the marine you're trying to kill. Now if this orientation nonsense was removed and you simply blink into an area by simply blinking forward, all of this orientation madness would be gone because you know which way you are looking.

Especially if you're able to blink very fast and the smoke/electric effect obscures your Fade orientation model somewhat, making it quite weird with this auto-angle thing...

The orientation angle is just very fiddly to place correctly, the slow down part is to blame on this not the double click... Just try it for yourself and blink trough the map in locations where there are no marines or TSA buildings. It is VERY fast, until you get to the MS where you get spun around due to the orientation crap...

TLDR;

I'd rather have full control over my Fade instead of having the game tell me which way I should be facing, which is very confusing and is actually the part that slows you down. Not the double click...
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815891:date=Dec 15 2010, 04:41 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 15 2010, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather have full control over my Fade instead of having the game tell me which way I should be facing, which is very confusing and is actually the part that slows you down. Not the double click...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed entirely!
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815891:date=Dec 14 2010, 06:41 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 14 2010, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather have full control over my Fade instead of having the game tell me which way I should be facing, which is very confusing and is actually the part that slows you down. Not the double click...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

aiming at moving targets or blinking into vents slow process. blink is largely lost its speed compared to ns1 fades.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w82fOrlf9lI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w82fOrlf9lI</a> - watch 30 seconds of this video to understand the problem
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w8hXW8ZofE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w8hXW8ZofE</a> - watch few mins in this video to see more examples

two forms of blink might require. One which the fade can position himself in the location he wants, the second blink is where he does what ns1 fades blink worked. fades don't run after their target they jump to them, these two blinks would offer vast amount of options for the fade. He can choose to be seen while blinking or if he wants he can blink in more stealthy matter.
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    After trying to blink into vents a couple of times I gave up and assumed the devs made a design decision to not let the large aliens into vents, which sounds excellent to me. If that wasn't the case, just need the ability to blink while crouched and it should be no problems to get into vents quickly with current blink. Still not understanding how blinking at moving targets etc is slow now though.

The argument about a double click taking too long is fairly pointless, average reaction time is around 0.2-0.25 s, adding an extra click to your first should take a fair bit less than 0.1s. Which means its still quicker for you to double click blink than to do something like react to ANYTHING in the game.