Welders

Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
<div class="IPBDescription">:D</div>I don't usually make suggestions because I feel that UWE is on the right track with their game; that being said where are the welders?

Welders should be part of the buy menu.
Now that MACS build, albeit slower, there should be that beautiful trade off that is so often seen in competitive games.

MACS:
slow build
fast repair
fast armor weld

WELDERS:
no effect on marine build speed
slow marine repair
slow armor weld

Now where one unit has an inefficiency, the other can compensate. It gives me as a marine the incentive to defend MACS (because they can weld marines via commander input) for reward. Also, the commander can now jump into a battle via the MAC, and contribute by selecting which marine to repair, etc. Living vicariously through a robot!

It also promotes team synergy because the commander and marines are linked to each other via welding.

<b>Welding was one of the best aspects of NS1.</b> Teams would stick together and cycle one welder for best results. Teamwork was best seen when medic classes were present (gorge or dedicated welder marine; really remember the good times). Now the commander has the ability to join in the battle via a MAC. Teamwork teamwork teamwork!

What could POSSIBLY go wrong???

Comments

• PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah the welder was a neat tool to have in NS1 to play a supportive role to repair structures/friends/heavy armor.
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    Really dynamic players often choose a medic-ish class or teamplay strategy for a variety of reasons; i myself loved healing/welding players because it gave me my own little microcosm of teamwork... especially if one was aggressive, you could still do damage, provide cover, all the while supporting our teammates through health. word of the day!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    You know the video with the Onos breaking the door down? When the marine is waking up you can see something next to him that looks like it's a welder.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The welder should just be 'e', but when you hold down to build it should just bring out a torch or something.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    edited December 2010
    I don't know runteh.. maybe not.

Feels like something we would need to test.. which i don't think is possible currently
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814318:date=Dec 8 2010, 10:43 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Dec 8 2010, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know the video with the Onos breaking the door down? When the marine is waking up you can see something next to him that looks like it's a welder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can we assume the welder is in the game then?

Can someone confirm that?

The welder is so overlooked but it was such a fantastic little toy when used right...
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1814402:date=Dec 8 2010, 04:12 PM:name=Commie Spy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commie Spy @ Dec 8 2010, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can we assume the welder is in the game then?

Can someone confirm that?

The welder is so overlooked but it was such a fantastic little toy when used right...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there is artwork on this site that shows an ns2 marine holding a welder.

my guess is yes.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    If not given some kind of alternative (like idle macs weld armor very quickly) we really need a welder in the game for the marine armor if nothing else. Standing around with heavy armor and no armor points is useless.

Armor repair commander drops? Hmmmm, nah.