For those who have a dedicated server

acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT MascotAustin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
edited November 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">having problems with people connecting to game.</div>So, are any of the other ded server devs having any issues since 156 allowing people to connect? I haven't seen much discussion on this, and I'm wondering if it's due to the possibility of no update to the actual dedicated server, or if someone else knows the cause of the issue. I've reinstalled NS2 to see if maybe there was some bad version checks or file inconsistency, but I didn't really see any issues. I'm able to run the ded server, able to connect, able to play. No one else is. It is not a LAN server, though I do connect through LAN since I can't use the same port to connect, and I don't want to change the ded server port. Three servers show up in the server list. Two of the three are LAN servers, and the third a WAN. If I connect to one LAN server, I am known as NS2Player, then I'm shortly afterwards "timed out". The second gives me the correct alias, and plays flawlessly. I'm seeing users connecting in console, but no one is actually making it through. Before the patch, my dedicated server could allow people to connect, though some could not because of the connection issues during 154 and 155. Any ideas or solutions?

Comments

• ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    In early 155 I could connect to the armoury<something>.net servers, but shortly after, any attempt I made to connect to them, resulted in a "could not establish a connection" error. I see other players on the server though, so this might be an issue on my end. I can't really assist you in regards to the dedicated server software as I haven't set up a dedicated server (except LAN when I was trying my hand at mapping).
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    I've managed to lock myself out of my own server before on builds <155 by changing map from tram to rockdown.

Seems to work better now but I used to get random connection problems on differing servers all over, I am sure it's issues with handshaking but UWE are pretty good at stomping on these and the number of failed connections is dropping with every release.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    you got an webinterface now ... so if you lock yourself out, use it and change map again :)
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Well I've tried absolutely everything in my power to see if it was an issue other than the dedicated server itself, and it looks like it is the dedicated server causing the connect issues. Before 156, some people could connect... not sure what was changed in 156 that killed it. Nothing more I can do on my end.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Definitely sounds like a problem at your end.

It sounds like your firewall (or anti-virus that has a firewall built in? Or Windows firewall?) is blocking the game and/or server from talking to / accepting connections.

You should check:
    1) You have the required ports forwarded on your router (27015 and 27016 at a minimum I believe)
    2) You don't have a firewall blocking the game/server

Some firewalls will reset/block the 'allow to communicate' rule for a program when that program is updated; perhaps your firewall has blocked NS2 because it was updated recently.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2010
    I don't use a Firewall on my router, and I don't use Windows Firewall. I'm currently in the DMZ for my router. I've gone the extra step to enable NETBIOS to see if it had an affect. I don't run antivirus, I'm not infected with anything. Computer has been running smoother than ever. Thank you for the suggestions anyway :).
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    The console on the server, you didn't mention what it says when the people try and join. Is there an error perhaps?

Also, there are log files, these are a great help to anyone trying to troubleshoot a problem, the contents of \logs\connection_log_27015.txt may have some answers for you or anyone else trying to troubleshoot this problem.
    Unfortunately, I don't see any log directory or log files in the dedicated server directories or sub-directories, however, I had a friend attempt a connection, In console I see:

(ip address) connected
    About a minute passes, then:
    (ip address) disconnected

Client-side, the user receives the good old fashioned "Could not establish connectin to server" error.

I have no problems setting any other multiplayer server game up at all... As a matter of fact, NS1 dedicated and Synergy dedicated servers work flawlessly. Thanks for the help thus far, hope we'll see some light shed on this soon.
    Date: 11/25/10
    Time: 20:27:03
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 156
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    Starting server
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/prototype_module/prototype_module.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/marine/prototype_module/prototype_module.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/robotics_factory/robotics_factory.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/marine/robotics_factory/robotics_factory.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/alien/shift/shift.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shade/shade.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/alien/shade/shade.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/alien/onos/onos.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos_view.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/alien/onos/onos_view.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/heavy/heavy.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/marine/heavy/heavy.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/minigun/minigun.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/marine/minigun/minigun.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/minigun/minigun_view.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/marine/minigun/minigun_view.model) file doesn't exist.
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/jetpack/jetpack.model'
    PrecacheModel(models/marine/jetpack/jetpack.model) file doesn't exist.
    Loading 'maps/ns2_rockdown.level'
    Local server active.
    Client connected (192.168.0.195). <----me
    acid_rain connected.
    192.168.0.195: Client has accumulated too many snapshots
    Client connected (97.97.00.0).
    Client disconnected (97.97.00.0)
    Client disconnected (192.168.0.195) Quit
    Bump, it's been three or four days, just wondering if anyone else is having the issue. I'm seeing a lot of servers having the same problem that I cannot connect to, and they appear to be dedicated as well.
    Fixed. Server up and running. Started working in 157.