Commander hotkeys

12346»

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I voted for letters on the basis that it's easier for newbies to grasp. The default setting should always be that. If the pros want to switch to a grid setup, let them do so with an option.

--Scythe--

P.S. Having to select the CC before being able to drop medpacks and ammo is SUPER annoying. Also, clicking on the squad blob selects the squad and deselects the CC. No more medspam for you marines!
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810724:date=Nov 26 2010, 09:50 AM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Nov 26 2010, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QWERT is hands down the best option for competative play.
    If you want NS2 to become a competative eSport, the super skilled commanders would want to, be able to, reach all the buttoms whit one hand...
    Like starcraft, micro & macro management.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like Starcraft?

Starcraft has hotkeys all over the keyboard. SC1 anyway.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Starcraft has 2(3) setups for key layouts.

Grid, name, and another one i forgot(the 3rd could be wrong)...

Smashing wrong facts is fun.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    default letters, option for grid, option to bind how u like it as well would be the best :)
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    No surprise here. Grid system all the way.

I think it's easier to use.
  • porjayporjay Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58817Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Grid.

I wasn't aware of the grid until watching the YouTube video. But after watching the video It looks a lot easier and really like the idea.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I like the SCII letter system, in which only half of the keyboard is used. It minimizes errors such as random arms lab droppage, yet doesn't have your hand going all over the keyboard.

In short, for me:

SCII-style letters > grid > normal letters
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    100% grid. Don't even make letters an option.

Simply, the learning curve is way lower, and it's far easier to use. No question.

People say it's easier to learn letters? That assumes someone knows the name for ever command option. It also sends their hands all over the keyboard, usually requiring the player to look down, negating the time benefit of a hotkey. But if you go to the SC2 letter system, now you break the letter coding.

I'd never heard of or seen a grid system until NS, and I've played a lot of strategy games. I still remember the day I decided to actually learn command hotkeys. First, I saw Structures on Q, and thought, "Wtf". Then I saw Adv. Structures on W. WTF? Droppables on E? Oh, it's a grid? And then I instantly knew all the hotkeys, to serve me well for the next six years.

I never played Starcraft, but got into SC2 hardcore. I tried to learn the letters system, and it was painful, I gave up a few times, and I never actually learned it. Then I noticed the Grid option. Instantly, pro hotkeys.
  • JosemiteJosemite Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17770Members
    It depends for me. I like grid better if there's no submenus. However, one thing I really didn't like in NS1 commanding was how the hotkeys were context-sensitive based on whether you had the buildings tab, advanced buildings tab etc open. I haven't really played with NS2 commanding yet, but if there's submenus involved I'd much prefer traditional hotkeys.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    Either way i can memorize the sequence of 2-3 keys like in tribes
    Ex v-c-t was "thanks" and v-a-b was "attack their base" and v-v-i was "get in the vekicle"
    I think that the only requirement is that i dont have to click through any menus
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811423:date=Nov 28 2010, 08:42 AM:name=StixNStonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StixNStonz @ Nov 28 2010, 08:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->100% grid. Don't even make letters an option.

Simply, the learning curve is way lower, and it's far easier to use. No question.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh good, let's stop the vote then, aquarter of us clicked the wrong option by mistake!

I do have a gripe against using keys from the right hand (I have a split keyboard because I prefer to work in an ergonomic fashion) so that leaves me a 5-by-3 set of keys to use, plus modifiers, plus 6 numbers.

What I don't like about grid structures is that combinations such as Q-Z (on a qwerty) are annoying as hell. Maybe a solution such as duplicating the first used column on T/G/B can be a good alternative? (for example Q-Z becomes Q-B and X-W becomes X-T) This prevents a single finger to press two keys in succession, or twisting your hand in an unnatural position.
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811583:date=Nov 28 2010, 07:17 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Nov 28 2010, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh good, let's stop the vote then, aquarter of us clicked the wrong option by mistake!

I do have a gripe against using keys from the right hand (I have a split keyboard because I prefer to work in an ergonomic fashion) so that leaves me a 5-by-3 set of keys to use, plus modifiers, plus 6 numbers.

What I don't like about grid structures is that combinations such as Q-Z (on a qwerty) are annoying as hell. Maybe a solution such as duplicating the first used column on T/G/B can be a good alternative? (for example Q-Z becomes Q-B and X-W becomes X-T) This prevents a single finger to press two keys in succession, or twisting your hand in an unnatural position.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I Agree
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    If I could assign a grid to my key pad that would work for me. While in the cc I could move my right hand to the key pad and have access to the arrow keys with my thumb (to move around the map). The mouse would be close by and it wouldn't interfere with my key setup when not com.