Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Alpha Build 152

Comments

• cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1803183:date=Oct 27 2010, 03:12 PM:name=Arrowhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arrowhead @ Oct 27 2010, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are framerates any better?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not noticeably. My game worked fine on medium and chugged on high before the patch, same situation now.
  • -Nemesis--Nemesis- Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1803183:date=Oct 27 2010, 09:12 PM:name=Arrowhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arrowhead @ Oct 27 2010, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are framerates any better?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No!

And im having same problem, joining server means I sit there for x amount of minutes until the text says "NsPlayer is now known as -nemesis- then I can move for a few secs - and then nothing

But hey ho - it is an Alpha :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1803187:date=Oct 27 2010, 03:16 PM:name=-Nemesis-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Nemesis- @ Oct 27 2010, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No!

And im having same problem, joining server means I sit there for x amount of minutes until the text says "NsPlayer is now known as -nemesis- then I can move for a few secs - and then nothing

But hey ho - it is an Alpha :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I had this problem with most servers, but once or twice I managed to get on one and I could (kind of) play. Still very laggy, but I guess it could just be that all the servers are getting effectively DDoS'd by all the incoming connection attempts.
  • FFTKaMiKaZeFFTKaMiKaZe Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was in a game and was able to go gorge and plop down hydras with a very playable framerate, but the animations were terribly choppy (independent of framerate). Then a couple people joined and it started locking up entirely. Since then, I've been unable to get past the ready room on any server I try to join. I thought I might actually get to pew pew a skulk today. =[
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    It's actually worse than it was before. Now nobody can move so we're just standing around in the ready room.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    yeah.. this seems like a step backwards to me.. i can move less
  • Ken-Bean-NetKen-Bean-Net Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18973Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1803179:date=Oct 27 2010, 04:09 PM:name=Ken-Bean-Net)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ken-Bean-Net @ Oct 27 2010, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My server is now up, trying to help, but no play for me! I at works :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Server crashed already. Trying it again. Got some spam about MAC builds not working or something then crashed a bit later.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    this is quite the conundrum
    edited October 2010
    Welp, time to wait for the next patch I guess. Maybe it'll be playable then :D
    Even playing alone my FPS has gone through the floor after this patch. Managed to test out a power node. It does nothing to the lights when destroyed.
  • NyfNyf Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70468Members
    Holy ###### memory leak.
    Having the same problem with the RR, and I alt-tabbed out to see what was going on. It was using 1.5 GB of my memory (Fallout: New Vegas uses about .75 GB...so, half).
    Then game completely crashed.

Guys...wtf?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Only degraded from last patch :(

What are you doing?
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    edited October 2010
    Did all the servers die? I saw several a moment ago, now I can't see any. Can't even make a LAN game.

nvm theyre back
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Runs smooth for me, in singleplayer and mp with few people. Also, Powernode DOES do something. Try destroying the one in your base. Sentries and Armory are turned off, lights flicker when node is below 40% and go out as it dies. They come back uo after a second or so but no power to structures. Node can be repaired by MAC.

Also, flamethrower looks like omgwtf? I sure hope the effect is a placeholder.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    edited October 2010
    Still at work, but wow this sounds awful. I know the patch was play tested when it was built for release candidacy, so how can this happen?
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1803203:date=Oct 27 2010, 02:32 PM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ Oct 27 2010, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Runs smooth for me, in singleplayer and mp with few people. Also, Powernode DOES do something. Try destroying the one in your base. Sentries and Armory are turned off, lights flicker when node is below 40% and go out as it dies. They come back uo after a second or so but no power to structures. Node can be repaired by MAC.

Also, flamethrower looks like omgwtf? I sure hope the effect is a placeholder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I killed it. No lights went out in the room. At all.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1803204:date=Oct 27 2010, 04:32 PM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Oct 27 2010, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still at work, but wow this sounds awful. I know the patch was play tested when it was built for release candidacy, so how can this happen?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just a guess, but I think it probably happened for the same reason as the issues with the first release - the patch was developed for a long time while being tested only on a very limited number of systems. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these bugs were caused by a fix that went in months ago and seemed stable in internal tests. Hopefully from now on we'll get frequent patches so issues like that are immediately revealed.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    stuck in ready room. cannot move or join teams
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I believe once you leave a game you cannot rejoin a game or any other game.
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1803180:date=Oct 27 2010, 09:09 PM:name=Mr. Epic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Epic @ Oct 27 2010, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whenever I join a server it just sits there. The scene is rendered, but I can't communicate with the chat and I can't move or look around. I can get into the console no problem without any delay, so its not a cpu hang, but the world just doesn't update and its as if its waiting for info and is just still until then.

2 minutes later, I can move for about 5 seconds and then it does the freeze again. I can see new player models added to the scene but I still can't look around or move or use the chat. The player notifications, the "new player is known as blah" pop up as normal, and once in a while the popup telling me to join j1 or j2 or rr pops up with sound, but nothing else.

I can't even hit escape to see the menu. To quit I can go to the console and type "quit" no problem though. Seems really strange.

Are we not duplicating the testing conditions? What element is it thats preventing us from getting anywhere near what you guys seem to be seeing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same for me but don't worry, this is not the real patch, it's just an April's fool... omg wait a second... we are not in April!!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Well I can play on my own lan server just fine, but when I join an online game I get about 4 frames per minute (r_stats shows 15 - 30 though). Haven't made it out of the readyroom yet. :D
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1803150:date=Oct 27 2010, 02:43 PM:name=Pr0n)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pr0n @ Oct 27 2010, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sweet. Doesn't work. Total lock up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same, runs for about 1 second, then locks up for like 20 seconds, then runs for 1 second, then locks for 20... i can't even press Esc to quit, i have to Alt + F4.
    Works fine when playing by myself in an empty server over Lan.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    something critical is missing in the update surely.

I used to be able to move around slightly, now all i get when i join a server is stuttering sounds and a non controllable character with marines standing still all around me :D...

after one minute, I was asked to press my 'b' key in order to evolve. I tried to evolve into britney spears -when she was a little younger-, but it didn't work.

shame.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Well on the bright side , we can reliably enter the ready room when connecting to servers now.
    This one time , I even managed to spawn as an alien ! Patience , I'm sure we will be able to reliably run into the enemy base within the next few years :p
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Input is still too laggy to play, mouse look included... buttons still get stuck down.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    join your own lan game and retry a net server, worked for me and I can play now.. but i see lots of ppl frozen still. who knows whta it is. hit reg is great, can actually bite ppl now
  • MartinMartin Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73229Members
    There are occasional memory spikes when people are joining, memory seems to clear after that but there is still a memory leak.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    The input issues persist in a LAN setting as well.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    There is a ton of cool stuff going on, the alien commander's interface is really filling out (markers to help teammates, gui visual blips for notifications on the map, upgrade menus, selection reticles, and lots of other interesting bits). So many little and large things have been added it seems way more complete in that regard, and would actually be fun to try out!

The remaining issue preventing all of that from being explored and tested is the damned network performance. Is it steam and all of that stuff causing this? Is it a latency threshold issue where it isn't apparent because of the network performance of you or your testers? It just seems really disconcerting that every time you guys manage to improve things on your end it doesn't translate elsewhere.