Prop Visual (flickering in engine)

SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Props flicker while viewing in engine</div>When looking at props from different angles they seem to flicker in and out of faces and other props and even seem to do this within the larger props that contain multiple gradients of color and extrusions.

This seems to happen when viewing within the game engine when skulk or marine and looks like it is from the moving (breathing) effect, when viewing as a gorge it seems to be minimal as there is no camera movement when idle as that actor/class.

Is there anything i can do to minimize this effect? I have already tried re-positioning the prop(s) and even try to adjust lighting and can't seem to smooth this out.

If this post seems cryptic i can shoot a small video if needed.

Comments

• SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Some alterations to culling will have been done by now i am sure, it might be rectified in the next patch, I would not worry too much right now.
    Bump this post if you still experience the problem after next release.
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    Is it the same as (or similar to) this footage I recorded? (Probably not)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yeZnZMy4g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yeZnZMy4g</a>

I posted this on the bug-reporting page when the engine was first released and Max replied saying that this bug was now fixed.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2010
    I get something like that still, but much more excessive. Many more props flicker, including lights. It seems as my computer can't handle loading everything so that some are removed when rendering new ones. And this continues in a evil cycle even if I'm standing still and not rotating the view.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I'm pretty sure it's the culling that is doing what i described as Sgt. clued at. It sound like yours is a render problem.
    I think the savings of how duplicate props render will most likely help your situation as it will be less expensive to render duplicate props in the next patch.

Just curious, What are your System specs that you experience this issue on?
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah duplicate props will be great! :D

My laptop:
    Inter core2duo t8100 2.10ghz
    Geforce 8600m gt
    3gb ram
    anything else I should list?

I'd like to buy a desktop when beta is out :p
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    UPDATE:

Build 152 seems to have repaired the problem, My wife may think i'm a bit strange as i did a touchdown dance when i loaded my level. ;)
  • TheckTheck Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70611Members
    I don't think so, wifes are used to this kind of behaviour :V
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer