Issues loading NS2

acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT MascotAustin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
edited October 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Maybe I'm dumb?</div>Maybe I'm dumb, and I know I should have probably posted in the feedback site, but I'm trying to execute NS2 Alpha through Steam as normal, and I (of course) get the option to choose either, launchpad or play. Upon selecting either, I get the common Steam message preparing to launch, and then it just disappears, and I get nothing. Any idea on what could be causing this, or anyone else having this issue?

Win7 64bit Ultimate 6gb corsair 1800
Intel i7 Extreme @ 3.2
Asus Matrix 5870 GPU
Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard

I'm absolutely willing to use Livestream/Procaster to show those interested in helping me troubleshoot the problem so they can see what's happening live.

Update: I'm not getting any additions to my processes when attempting to run the application, which tells me something is failing to call the application correctly?

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    -Newest drivers?
    -Did you unlock the alpha with the 2nd key they sent out? (first key was engine test afaik)
    -Do the editor and other tools run?
    -Tried a fresh install?
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2010
    Have latest drivers. Also installed Nvidia Physx Engine.
    Not sure if I unlocked it with second key I got, but then again, I'm not sure if it's just as easy as deleting the content, re-activating a game on Steam and that being it or more...
    Editor and tools do NOT run.
    Tried fresh install.

After double-checking:
    NS2 pre-order Special Edition was registered onto my Steam account.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    to unlock the alpha/black armor go to your steam library showing games. at the very bottom left click add game then choose activate product on steam,agree to terms then input the 2nd key you received. let us know if that works out or not.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I can see the Black Armor already purchased and showing up in my DLC tab in Steam when going to the preferences section of NS2 from the Steam menu. However, I cannot get the game or the Launchpad editor to load at all. When Selecting either option from the menu to run NS2 or Launchpad, Windows doesn't even create a process for the game to attempt to launch it.
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    Both the editor and the launch pad will start without steam running. Locate the appropriate exe files in the steam ns2 directory and run them.

If they give an error, you will actually be able to see it (the steam launch thingymajig blocks the error popups).

If you get an error about libgameswf (I did on a similar setup), remove the ns2 local contents and reinstall.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Did you run the DXSETUP.EXE in the redist folder?

Secondly -- Asus Matrix 5870 GPU, just a hunch but the current build might not understand the GPU. Might work in the next update that should hopefully be very soon.
    I tried running both the Launchpad and NS2 through the gcf folders with shell execute, as well as extract and got:

Error writing C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\LaunchPad.exe (Error: NCF files are indexes and do not contain any file data.)
    I tried to run the DXSETUP.exe, and got the same error... with every file I'm getting this error.
    Fixed by deleting the entire GCF and re-installing.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1800656:date=Oct 3 2010, 02:57 AM:name=aCId_rAIn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aCId_rAIn @ Oct 3 2010, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed by deleting the entire GCF and re-installing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you mean by GCF folder? I "Deleted Local Contents" and physically deleted the NS2 folder inside the steamapps folder and tried reinstalling. Same issues. Am I missing something?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    There's also a .gcf file in your Steamapps folder that tracks what you've downloaded, what version it's at, etc.

By zapping that and the NS2 folder, you erase any knowledge of previous downloading/patching, at least in Steam's mind.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1800947:date=Oct 7 2010, 01:41 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Oct 7 2010, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By zapping that and the NS2 folder, you erase any knowledge of previous downloading/patching, at least in Steam's mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what valve tells you, but they'll know forever and much more..