Server Stream

-Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
edited September 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">A neat advertising tool</div>I often find myself looking for gameplay footage from video games to decide whether or not I'd like them and if they are worth buying. Possibly the best example of this so far is the Starcraft II commentated matches, which where out far before the game was released (during the beta I think). They not only showed of the new features of the game but generated a huge amount of interest.

NS2 is a far different kettle of fish, watching a game through the eyes of one player would give an only average insight at best and the commander shows only one aspect of the game. What I would propose is using a pre set or player controlled spectator, that would scour the map in a set route (for example hold way points at map chokes) but the video it records could be posted live to NS2 or another website.

Now is not the right time to be implementing this but once the beta begins it would be more appropriate to advertise this way and I'm sure create a large amount of interest. The only major problem I see is a)I haven't got the foggiest on how you would code something like this and b)griefers... I'm sure password protected servers could solve the worst of that.

Anyone out there know how to get around major problem a)?

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Replays would be more useful. Then the commentator can apply different things (only see what one team sees vs all vision) and control the camera at will.
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798609:date=Sep 14 2010, 10:59 PM:name=-Klaus-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Klaus- @ Sep 14 2010, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I often find myself looking for gameplay footage from video games to decide whether or not I'd like them and if they are worth buying. Possibly the best example of this so far is the Starcraft II commentated matches, which where out far before the game was released (during the beta I think). They not only showed of the new features of the game but generated a huge amount of interest.

NS2 is a far different kettle of fish, watching a game through the eyes of one player would give an only average insight at best and the commander shows only one aspect of the game. What I would propose is using a pre set or player controlled spectator, that would scour the map in a set route (for example hold way points at map chokes) but the video it records could be posted live to NS2 or another website.

Now is not the right time to be implementing this but once the beta begins it would be more appropriate to advertise this way and I'm sure create a large amount of interest. The only major problem I see is a)I haven't got the foggiest on how you would code something like this and b)griefers... I'm sure password protected servers could solve the worst of that.

Anyone out there know how to get around major problem a)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Husky made my buy Starcraft 2, haha!
    I was actually in the beta, but I let my friend who was obsessed with Starcraft 2 use my account because I had no intention of buying it, that is until I saw Husky's and HDStarcraft's videos on youtube :D

Also, it would be neat if like after every match of NS2 in the ready room a little popup screen would appear asking you if you want to save the demo which would have been cached automatically.
    Demo caching being a feature you would be able to enable/disable in the settings menu.