Camera shaking when Onos is around

derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
edited September 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
PLEASE MAKE IT A CVAR!!!

// i HATE such things like motionblur and shaking vision and everything what helds me off from aiming and playing... that is one special thing what made counterstrike such successful! your recoil dosent affect your camera, only a headshot or throatshot ^^ //

/edit/ camera shake would be a reason for me, to not play ns2 :/

Comments

• KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members

Pls add camera shake. it just rocks the house.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2010
    Dealing with these things should be part of the game, and you as a player. It is exactly what made CS so bloody awful. I used to play CS at a very high level, top of one of the UKs biggest leagues for a bit. You could never be sure whether or not the next team were playing fair because of the countless commands to strip down the game.

bob/interpolation/white wall hack/gamma/rates etc.. Sometimes you would play teams at equally high level, and sometimes they would seem so 'sharp' compared to other teams that it just niggled in your head whether or not they were playing fair.

How far do you take it if you can change this?

Why not just play it like everyone else is playing, on level playing field.

Given, graphical settings will introduce/reduce these sort of things. But at least that is an option for everyone.

P.s

If you think lack of camera shake was what made CS great, you are much mistaken.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I like it, but provide a server option to either:
    1) force all clients to have it
    2) allow clients to disable it

That way, for league/match play, it can be locked down according to what everyone wants.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Basic consensus of the community:
    MAKE EVERYTHING A CVAR!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798603:date=Sep 14 2010, 01:35 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Sep 14 2010, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Basic consensus of the community:
    MAKE EVERYTHING A CVAR!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh dear gods no.

I hate how some stuff has pages upon pages of cvars you can use to tweak every nuance and most in languages YOU DON'T KNOW.

If you're going to CVAR something, if it's purely aesthetic _maybe_ do client. If it's gameplay, do server. But, if at all possible, make a judgement. Forcing people to forum/wiki search to optimize and make things playable (*cough* Alien Swarm *cough*) is a BAD THING.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    If you've made something an option, you've made something that doesn't work.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I dont like screen shaking, sp thing, not to mention giving away the onos ;(
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1798597:date=Sep 14 2010, 02:47 PM:name=Kisle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kisle @ Sep 14 2010, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-1

Pls add camera shake. it just rocks the house.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    It could work depending on how its implimented..like, it only shakes during "stomp" (or whatever its called now in NS2)...
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited September 2010
    I think there should be like the Kane & Lynch 2 styled type of camera when playing Onos, it would be really fun.

It is also soo adrenaline pumping and immersive too.

/joke(At least 1 person went through all 5 Steps of Denial immediately, became angered, and then posted before reading.)

=D
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    Camera needs to create rainbow colors when gorges are nearby.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    Taking control away from the player is generally a bad thing. It should only be done sparingly and with great purpose. I'd make the the UI and weapon model bump and flicker, instead.
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    I like the idea of the onos feeling big, heavy and powerful. A minor camera shake for players in close proximity would be cool.

It would also be cool if near by lights flickered :D
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    If you want to know how this camera shake feels like go play l4d and wait until a tank comes near you. You will barely notice it if you are busy in action but it is clearly visible if you are standing still. And it doesn't affect your aiming in no way. And i absolutely agree with Runteh. Games should be played as they are delivered by the developer and you feel forced to tweak it in every possible way you're obviously not a very good player.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798612:date=Sep 14 2010, 11:20 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Sep 14 2010, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you've made something an option, you've made something that doesn't work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I read that in a book by a game designer, cant remember much else but that always stuck in my head...if you need to add a option to disable something, then its something you are not sure should of been in your game.
    I find that to ring extremely true and incorperate that into my game design (hobby level, first game yet to be released :p).

I think IF it must be a option you can disable then at least make it a server cvar, so either all have the shake or no one does.
    Personally I am in favour of the camera shake as it adds some impact to the Onos arriving at the scene, not just 'oh look a Onos, knife it!
    ' a NS1 Onos tends to have... a Fade is a more formidable opponent in the hands of a skilled player.
  • Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    NS1 had screen shake during explosions.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    radar distortion would be cool, especially when stomping (fluctuations)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1798669:date=Sep 15 2010, 06:56 AM:name=MaLaKa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaLaKa @ Sep 15 2010, 06:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea of the onos feeling big, heavy and powerful. A minor camera shake for players in close proximity would be cool.

It would also be cool if near by lights flickered :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Camera shake doesn't have to be impairing, it can be minor, like just noticeable shaking.. and only while the onos is actually moving. Stationary Onos is Sneaky.

Oh, and +1 on the nearby lights flickering, that is so win that my face just melted.
    <!--quoteo(post=1798682:date=Sep 15 2010, 03:51 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Sep 15 2010, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This. Camera shake doesn't have to be impairing, it can be minor, like just noticeable shaking.. and only while the onos is actually moving. Stationary Onos is Sneaky.

Oh, and +1 on the nearby lights flickering, that is so win that my face just melted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would like to see more use of lights in NS2 in the future. Welding areas to turn lights on, aliens destroying terminals to shut lights off, etc.

I also love the idea of emphasizing on the Onos's sheer size and power. It should sound sound heavy and loud. At mid range it would cause minor shaking. Up close it should cause moderate screen shaking, though not too much to make aiming or manoeuvring hard. Any object that is not tied down should jitter or bounce (client side obviously). Near by lights should flicker and sway. Charging and the maximum running speed should make players screens shake like no tomorrow, to the point where it would effect your aim slightly. It would add for another feature of the Heavy Armour to compensate, making the shake less.

To me, screen shake isn't an issue to players. Especially if Heavy Armour can lessen the effect. Because at the point the alien team has an Onos, The marines should have Heavy or Jetpacks researched.

Anyway, that's my brain fart :)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1798685:date=Sep 15 2010, 11:36 AM:name=MaLaKa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaLaKa @ Sep 15 2010, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would add for another feature of the Heavy Armour to compensate, making the shake less.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 for you again. HA should lessen screen shake considerably, JP should be unaffected when flying. The lights flickering should be your cue to run for your life to higher ground.
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1798686:date=Sep 15 2010, 04:42 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Sep 15 2010, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 for you again. HA should lessen screen shake considerably, JP should be unaffected when flying. The lights flickering should be your cue to run for your life to higher ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definitely. The Onos is meant to deadly. I hated in NS that.. the Onos didn't really have any "Holy ###### run away" factor to it. It was just a big pink angry elephant, that with 3-4 people and some teamwork could take down.

I would rather their be a limitation on the amount of Onos's in a game (Say one onos for every 6 marine players: 12 players = max 2 onos), or for them to cost a lot of resources and be very powerful and dangerous. Than to have them be as common and frequent as they were in NS and be.. well, a bit lacking.

Playing as marine, and then.. Holy ######, you hear or see that they have an Onos. Be scared and worried. It's a huge freaking alien. You should be.
    in the map i'm designing, i have put in special onos areas, most of the hallways on the outskirts of the map will be too small for onos to maneuver effectively, but the main/shortest paths in the center of the map will be wide open. I hope others are designing for onos/designing against onos as well.

I agree there has to be a cap. Make the onos a beast, make him hard to control, but make it so they're capped. 1 to 6 ratio sounds good. A brutal kharaa team should have a def gorge, a battle gorge, a pack of skulks, an onos, a lerk, and the rest fades. UWE needs to promote teams to be diverse and not just 3 gorges and all fades. There needs to be a reason why someone would go lerk late game.

also, allow the lerk to ride on the onos' back.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1798690:date=Sep 15 2010, 04:34 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Sep 15 2010, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also, allow the lerk to ride on the onos' back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You want to change the Onos into a real Tank, <i>turrent</i> and all. I see what you did there...
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    edited September 2010
    do NOT cap onos. that's.. just wrong. it's hilarious to see like 12 onos rushing base lol and imagine if the screen shook... it'd be like a ###### stampede.

besides, if the alien team can collect a large amount of ... oni? lol the marines would have been doomed already. res = win
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    yeah a cap is a bad idea. if they can afford it they should be able to get it.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    If shake is a side-effect of an Onos ability (that is limited by time/adrenaline/etc), then I'd like to see it.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1798675:date=Sep 15 2010, 01:34 PM:name=Mr_Charisma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr_Charisma @ Sep 15 2010, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 had screen shake during explosions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...and it was terribly annoying. It made me hate playing combat for one, because after a while half the team had GLs; so then you had to play the next 20 or so minutes with the screen shaking non-stop. Not fun.

I agree with everything in the OP.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2010
    What is the problem exactly, it adds to the game.

Go play L4D2 and tell me that the screen shake is not cool when the tank is around. It is subtle enough to be effective that when combined with a low audible thud adds massively to the immersion of the game.

Check out at around 23 seconds, and just watch and see how it can be done really nicely.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0RcxPFDmg8" target="_blank">L4D2 Camera Shake</a>

This game is going to end up being some boring, un cinematic bare bones game because you are all used to stripping away this effects to the point that it is like pong with guns.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    For the love of god, if where going to have camera shake please, PLEASE tie aim into it.

I'm sick and tired of Bad Company 2 where, as soon as i get shot, where my crosshairs are isn't even remotely where my gun is shooting. This makes Hit compensation utterly worthless and serves as nothing but a nuiscence.

If i get shot, but the aim of my gun changes with my camera, i can compensate myself and maybe still get a kill out of it. As opposed to hoping you don't get hit again and having to wait untill your vision returns to normal.

One is skill, the other is annoying. Please, bring back skill.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    Camera shake, and by extension things that mess with video output (flashbangs, but those are dependent on a good throw) detract from the experience more than they add.

I bought NS2, it doesn't mean I will be happy with it. To me purchasing ns2 was the extra thank you for having NS kick so much ass.

Max and Brian are working on screen-space shader effects for Lua script - for Skulk view blur, Drifter "blind" effect, etc. #fb <-- makes me sad