FPS?

2»

Comments

• SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794937:date=Aug 18 2010, 03:02 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Aug 18 2010, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol, You blew over $1200 on video cards to only run at 2560x1600?
    At that resolution you are <b>never</b> going to use the power of those 2 cards in xfire...
    That rig needs to be running at least 3 monitors in Eyefinity (7680x1600) to make it justifiable. Otherwise you've totally wasted your money on 2 5970's, should have just got 5870's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kinda thought the same thing haha.

But why two HD5970s? Most games don't shown any improvement after the third GPU. Would of been better with one HD5970 or getting 3x HD5870s!

Also hope you are overclocking that i7 960 :)
  • Ns_PennyNs_Penny Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71167Members
    edited August 2010
    Haha Jealousy is a bitter emotion.

It makes me luagh cos most people say "I hope you have a 2560x1600 screen with those cards or its a waste" now your saying you need eyefinity!

I get 50-60 fps on bc2 on max detail with one card running. I get 160 average with both cards running in Xfire. Your just a jealous plain and simple I was just giving my opinion on the fps problem from a high end point of view. I work aa a graphic designer so I INVEST in a new system and If i saved for two years I'll get what I want thank you.

In a years time my setup will be going out of date so ill enjoy it while it lasts.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    not really an investment then is it.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794949:date=Aug 18 2010, 10:35 AM:name=Ns_Penny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ns_Penny @ Aug 18 2010, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha Jealousy is a bitter emotion.

It makes me luagh cos most people say "I hope you have a 2560x1600 screen with those cards or its a waste" now your saying you need eyefinity!

I get 50-60 fps on bc2 on max detail with one card running. I get 160 average with both cards running in Xfire. Your just a jealous plain and simple I was just giving my opinion on the fps problem from a high end point of view. I work aa a graphic designer so I INVEST in a new system and If i saved for two years I'll get what I want thank you.

In a years time my setup will be going out of date so ill enjoy it while it lasts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    2x 5870 would not be a waste at that resoultion.
    But you have 2x 5970... that's 4GB (!!) of texture memory that <b>is not</b> going to get used because of the relatively low resolution of 2560x1600 with that kind of hardware. Plain and simple.
    No jealousy here, you can run this by about any hardware enthusiast and get the same opinion.

Denial that you wasted money is a bitter emotion.

Unless, that is, your doing rendering in Maya or 3DSM as a "graphic designer", then you might be using all that horsepower.
    But just in regards to gaming, it's a horrid waste.
    I'll overclock the 960 when I need to. I'd rather a stable system for the time being.
    edited August 2010
    I was just really stating fact that most games dont use anything more than that.

Infact, 3x HD5870s are actually faster than 2x HD5970s. Google for benchmarks or read <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles/amdnampoZGCa/Clash_of_the_Titans_3way_SLI_GTX_480_test/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1" target="_blank">here</a>

Also its not a matter of jealousy. It's admittedly kind of fun to explain to someone that they have probably over-shoot and wasted a good $500. Or spent more on a CPU that they don't over-clock, which could of been achieved with a cheaper CPU.

Lack of research.

<!--quoteo(post=1794953:date=Aug 18 2010, 04:40 PM:name=Ns_Penny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ns_Penny @ Aug 18 2010, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll overclock the 960 when I need to. I'd rather a stable system for the time being.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Should of gone with the 930. Higher multiplier on the 960 is nice for overclocking and pretty much the only reason you'd get one. IMO
    Well It is an investment considering I earn a decent amount for my design work each year and I want my Ideal system to work on for rendering my design work/lighting fast filters and general ease of use. You might be right on the texture memory front ill give you that but you show me identical spec system running three 5870's that beats mine....you can't. end off.

I ain't even hear to argue tech specs and how I'm wasting a percentage of my texture memory. It all amounts to the FACT that your trying to put me down for being illogical with my pc system due to your deep inner termoil. If you were happy with yourselves (and your computers) you would simple observe my original ocmment and realise I was just giving my opinion on the FPS problem. The fact that you even replyed in an argumentative manner gives away your real emotions immediately. If I'm happy with the extra money I have spent on my system, WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?
    edited August 2010
    lol. gotta love the amateur psych. jealousy i'm sure.
    <!--quoteo(post=1794957:date=Aug 18 2010, 05:00 PM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Aug 18 2010, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol. gotta love the amateur psych. jealousy i'm sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I'm moreso puzzled that I've not seen any benchmarks stating that 2x HD5970s are faster than 3x HD5870s. Its £200 cheaper, it would use less power.. And if he is doing rendering you would of thought he would of gotten a mid-level or even entry level workstation GPU. FireGL or Quadro. Which would still work out cheaper and perform better.

Also the amount of VRAM a graphics card has is only useful depending on its bandwidth. That and as soon as you SLI or Crossfire a card, the RAM amount will not go up. AFAIK, you crossfire 2x 1GB cards, you still have 1GB to work with, not 2.

I love it when people spend thousands of dollars on hardware, and its well spent. i7 OC'd to 4.5GHz, HD5870s in crossifre OC'd past 1GHz, sexy cases and custom waterloops, That type of bragging that actually says more than "Hey I don't know a lot but I have a heap of money", are the type of rigs I take my hat off too and go "WELL DONE!"
    the "jealousy im sure" was sarcastic btw ;) i agree
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794955:date=Aug 18 2010, 10:54 AM:name=Ns_Penny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ns_Penny @ Aug 18 2010, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It all amounts to the FACT that your trying to put me down for being illogical with my pc system due to your deep inner termoil. If you were happy with yourselves (and your computers) you would simple observe my original ocmment and realise I was just giving my opinion on the FPS problem. The fact that you even replyed in an argumentative manner gives away your real emotions immediately. If I'm happy with the extra money I have spent on my system, WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah, we're just hardware geeks that feel the need to point out inefficiencies.
    But like I said, if your actually using all that horsepower for rendering, more power to you.
    edited August 2010
    You are all making fair points and you have a point as I'm clearly not as atune to my hardware as you guys are. But I do love computers I've built the last two myself after alot of hard research on the internet. I grew up on computers from sneeking onto my dads computer when I was a kid playing games like doom back in 93 up till now playing state of the art games as well as following a a common interst with you guys, NS2! gaming is a part of my life. If I want to play games on what i consider a fast system (I might not have done my home work quite so well and bought the more effecient x3 5870 setup) I will do.

Im not an idiot with too much money. I did mention that it took me TWO YEARS to save £3000 which i was going to ###### on a car but thought id rather not have something that i could break-down/crash and rust along with costing me more in fuel. So I spent my HARD EARNED MONEY on this computer.

TBH I probably could have got a more EFFCIENT setup if I had the level of knowledge you guys have. I spread myself lightly. For example you keep making me reply when im trying to finish an <a href="http://www.behance.net/GeBirch" target="_blank">Illustration</a> which is another of my many hobbies.

I promise I'll come to you guys when I next get a PC in five years time.
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794965:date=Aug 18 2010, 11:43 AM:name=Ns_Penny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ns_Penny @ Aug 18 2010, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example you keep making me reply when im trying to finish an <a href="http://www.behance.net/GeBirch" target="_blank">Illustration</a> which is another of my many hobbies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Damn, that is pretty awesome. I like the Falcon one.

/thread officially high-jacked