Keys activated, but cannot play prealpha

TraxusTraxus Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73455Members
edited August 2010 in Tech Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Can see 'black armor' under DLC</div>As far as I can tell, I have activated both keys successfully. I activated the first when i purchased the pre order and the second this morning. When I right click and go to DLC i see Natural Selection - Black Armor

When i double click to launch the game, a dialog box with a radio button pops up asking whether i want to play NS2 or run the Launch Pad

Regardless of which one i pick, after I click ok i get a brief mouse with an hour glass and another program appears to open on my task bar, but both disappear nearly instantly...

I read somewhere that people had to launch the pre alpha from its actual file location (instead of from within steam) but I cant figure out where the 1.5 gigs of NS2's files are located to try this... what gives?

Update: Confirmed that I have activated both keys, tried popping them into steam again and got an error telling me i already activated them..

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    You've posted in the forum for the old game, so this is less likely to be seen (and not just you, it looks like... :\). I'd fire an email off at support@unknownworlds.com.
    Anyway, I don't actually think your problem is with the keys, otherwise you'd get some other sort of error on Steam itself. I think the game's just not running for you right now (i.e. it's a bug). Post your problem to getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds.
    Either way you could try running it directly...
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2
    is where mine is located. Try it out.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Can you post the log.txt file in %appdata%\Natural Selection 2 on your computer?
  • TraxusTraxus Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73455Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792513:date=Aug 6 2010, 09:40 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 6 2010, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've posted in the forum for the old game, so this is less likely to be seen (and not just you, it looks like... :\). I'd fire an email off at support@unknownworlds.com.
    Anyway, I don't actually think your problem is with the keys, otherwise you'd get some other sort of error on Steam itself. I think the game's just not running for you right now (i.e. it's a bug). Post your problem to getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds.
    Either way you could try running it directly...
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2
    is where mine is located. Try it out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sent an email to support@unknown... Only got the canned response so far...

I actually found it in D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2

Located ns2.exe, tried to run it, got an error reading "This application has failed to start becasue PhysXLoader.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Going to give the reinstall a shot...

<!--quoteo(post=1792537:date=Aug 6 2010, 11:26 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Aug 6 2010, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you post the log.txt file in %appdata%\Natural Selection 2 on your computer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure where to find this?

I pasted that line directly into my windows explorer, it gave a long file path said it could not be found....

Tried the various application data folders under different users (ieC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data) but found no NS2 folder...
  • TraxusTraxus Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73455Members
    Reinstalled...

Same error, and the log file is nowhere to be found... now what?