New server - looking for info and admin

intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
edited August 2010 in NS General Discussion
Hey guys... Basically I have a beefy dedicated server on CentOS 5.3 x64 running a website game I'm developing (won't post link but if you want you can PM me).

With it running only Apache/MySQL as a web server for the game, I don't think it uses ANYTHING to run as its nowhere near popular enough yet (about 1-15 players online at any time browsing pages of the game)

So I'm looking at advertising the game using an NS1 or NS2 server. Something that appears in the server browser and a popular quick UK server for players to play on as I think good servers are quite scarse.

What I'd like to know is, is this viable to run NS1, or 2? on what I have, without lagging the game that it's running? and perhaps what would be the best way for me to get this setup and admined? I've played NS and CS for years and I'm sure I can find a clan to sponsor or some people who would love to admin a free public game server.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing from you :)

Specs are at the bottom of the post:

Processors: Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8200
Memory: 4GB RAM
Hard Disk: 2x 160GB 7,200rpm
RAID: No RAID
Bandwidth: 10,000GB Bandwidth Per Month
Port Speed: Dedicated 100Mbit Port

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    From a quick look-over I don't see a problem with the system for running a NS1 server. The NS2 server specs are currently unknown.

Really though the bottleneck for all servers is how well it handles network latency. Your CPU and RAM are almost never maxed out with a rig like that, but people still have lag 'cause you're servicing packets form 20+ users. Make sure your network card switch can handle massive independent queries.

I also have no idea on the bandwidth usage / month of servers for games.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    Managed to get it up through the guide supplied on this forum :)

78.129.163.20 - obv need to start getting players now and installing some admin features

So far hte pings are good... but thats only with 2 players online haha. Everything seems to be handling ok. Was expecting issues cause the OS is x64