Engine test ran, but not alpha

DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Anyone else have this problem?</div>I could just barely run the engine test on my outdated system. It was very laggy and had some problems with the dynamic lighting showing as black boxes and other glitches, but it still would load and I could run around the map slowly on lowest settings.

I remember they had to add support for older graphics cards for the editor and engine test, did this get implemented in the alpha too?

It seems odd that I could run the test but not a more updated version.

Also, what is the file name and location to adjust the settings for resolution? The alpha says it is loading with a black screen and then crashes with the error reporting pop up.

I had the same problem with the engine test until I manually edited the file for video settings, but I can't find the info on what the file is called.

I won't bother posting system specs, I know they are too low to run the game well, but it would be nice to at least see what the alpha looks like first hand, even if It's unplayable on this dinosaur.

Comments

• Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    If you could barely run the engine test that makes sense.
    I had steady 60fps in the engine test, now I get around 20fps.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    While the engine itself has gotten much better, the extra layers of game code slow things back down again.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1790206:date=Jul 31 2010, 08:45 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 31 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While the engine itself has gotten much better, the extra layers of game code slow things back down again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it that way, I may be out of luck until I can upgrade.

But I still would like to know where the config file is located. Maybe I can play around with it and still get something.
  • DrMonDrMon Join Date: 2010-03-13 Member: 70948Members
    Type %appdata% into a Run prompt, hit enter and look for the natural selection folder there.