Armory

TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
I was wondering if anything can be done about the.. arms that extend out when you get close to one because it get's a bit aggravating trying to walk past one, or around it with a skulk near and the arms constantly coming out and blocking your path. Especially if a com drops one near a wall and you try to walk past it but get blocked, then try to cut around it on the other side and.. getting blocked again. So maybe make it so you can walk through them or something? I can't really think of anything else that can be done, hence why I made this post.

***Edit***

Ok an idea just hit me haha, what if instead of it automatically extending you need to hit E for the arms to come out and you go into buy mode as well, and for healing and ammo dispensing it can be the same, just standing next to it does that, you don't need to have the arms come out for that.

Comments

• TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    i do agree the extending arms of the armory are.. a bit much.

I'd say why not perma extend them. Considering the arms are already extended as soon as a person comes near, it won't affect the floorspace needed. Having no collision just looks... weird.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788798:date=Jul 29 2010, 05:12 PM:name=TSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSS @ Jul 29 2010, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i do agree the extending arms of the armory are.. a bit much.

I'd say why not perma extend them. Considering the arms are already extended as soon as a person comes near, it won't affect the floorspace needed. Having no collision just looks... weird.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In that case I would say shrink the entirety of the armory because it would be to massive.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Well, I understand what you mean, but they do that automatically to heal and resupply you.

You don't have to press use for the armory to do those things.
    <!--quoteo(post=1788801:date=Jul 29 2010, 05:13 PM:name=Silver_Fox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silver_Fox @ Jul 29 2010, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I understand what you mean, but they do that automatically to heal and resupply you.

You don't have to press use for the armory to do those things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but what I am saying is, have them heal and resupply you no matter how close you are standing next to it, and if you want to actually buy something, then you press E on it, and THEN the arms will extend, this way it will stop the problem of the arms constantly extending out even if I want NOTHING from the armory, even health or ammo because I literally just spawned and i want to freaking move past the damn thing.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    the arms should extend as soon as someone uses the armory
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    You could just make it so that if you don't need a heal it doesn't extend the arms.

It would give a nice feel to the usage of it as well. A marine near the armory with it closed has full health and ammo. one near an extended side is buying, damaged, or out of ammo.

Plus it would allow attack and aid priorities to be shifted with out getting a health popup.
  • Alex2539Alex2539 Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72401Members
    Instead of extending the arms when you get near, it should extend them if you actually stop in front of it. That way if you're just zipping by, it won't stop you, but if you need to be healed it will still react without needing an extra button push.
    <!--quoteo(post=1788814:date=Jul 29 2010, 05:21 PM:name=Confused)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Confused @ Jul 29 2010, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could just make it so that if you don't need a heal it doesn't extend the arms.

It would give a nice feel to the usage of it as well. A marine near the armory with it closed has full health and ammo. one near an extended side is buying, damaged, or out of ammo.

Plus it would allow attack and aid priorities to be shifted with out getting a health popup.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying, I think this would be the best solution and would solve the getting stuck problem that it's causing now.. in alpha, imagine in a full game with aliens swarming your base and your constantly getting trapped in the arms of your own armory..
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Simply remove the hitbox around the arms so you can walk through them. It looks good, but getting trapped/stuck by them is common.