Few brief/scattered suggestions to improve atmosphere ...

dnleechdnleech Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39504Members
edited July 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
First I wanted to say that the game is coming along incredibly well, but I had a few suggestions to refine it a little bit. In no particular order ...

1) Even if it's very subtle, add an animation to the resource models that indicate they are mechanically doing something. A slowly moving pipe and/or pump and some blinking lights.

2) This is not so much a suggestion to add anything, but just to simply say that I think the armory animations are a little excessive.

3) Add a few blinking lights to the command chair model to indicate that it is active.

4) The overall atmosphere is fantastic, but it seems very static. I don't know if you are planning it, but I would suggest adding some spinning fans, flickering lights, and/or computer interfaces that have some sort of indication that they are on and monitoring something. Also there are some really neat thick cabling scattered around the map that you might try having the ends sparking with electricity or something like that. Random steam from piping? Just some thoughts.

5) More ambient sounds related to the objects around you. Possibly the large computer paneling would give off a soft electrical hum and the resource models making noises(marine - clunking sounds, alien - squishy/slithery sounds)?

5) I would definitely encourage you guys to add a randomly generated facial model to every marine. I don't know if even the slightest change to a model would constitute a completely different asset, but it would go a long way to differentiate everyone (i.e. standing in the ready room, it looks very strange to see cloned marines). Again, you don't even need to go as far as adjusting body types or anything like that. Just make some random facial models with different skin tones, etc.

6) I don't know how difficult it would be, but possibly add some cargo ships to the exterior environment that fly back and forth for more immersion.

7) The vents seem very odd for some reason and sort of tacked on. You might try making the vents different shapes or possibly have them half-open or have some piping hanging out.

That's all for now. I really love the art style! All the textures have scrape marks and indications of normal wear which help the immersive feeling. cheers

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    They are definately going to add more decorative improvements and the like once the gameplay is down and features are in. Don't forget dynamic infestation too! :)

I suppose these things will come during beta?
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can we please have nummeric ping displays?
    I allways hated those bars in half life and it was the first thing i changed when i learned of the -numericping command line.

I had some other requests, too, but most of them had to do with scripts and the rest, I forgot.