Hitching/stuttering partially figured out

Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Its graphics memory usage, check it out with r_stats 1</div>If you use r_stats 1 in game, you can see why its hitching so badly. The vertex buffer was always ~150MB, and texture memory usage for high detail setting was 960MB more. The "awful" setting was only 150MB usage.

So there we go. I have a 512MB card so under high the hitching was just awful, now I know why. When I switched it to the awful setting, so it was well under the 512, it was way way way smoother as expected.

edit- the below details were from playing on a server with ~10 people, not a local server.
An additional note, the framerate between the two settings didn't actually change more than maybe just a couple fps. Additionally, the drawcalls don't seem to impact performance. If I am in the spawn room as a marine and look at a wall, the draw calls can be like ~550, and then if I turn around and the drawcalls are like ~1200 the fps actually does not change. Its as though the calls are still happening even though they are not, or else the bottleneck is way way way before the video card.

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    thats why i have such problems with my nvidia quadro 140m that has 128mb memory.... disk is constantly spinning, must be the textures that need to be loaded. perhaps put them into ram if there is not enough place in gpu memory?
  • PepeNZPepeNZ Join Date: 2009-05-26 Member: 67485Members
    Im sure this will be fixed if not in the ear future definitely by beta release.
    Maybe its a situation where UW assumed that anyone willing to fork out $40 for a game that's not even in alpha would have like ultra high-end systems.
    Alternately perhaps they were hoping people would send feedback about issues with mid - low end systems so they can optimize the engine for it.

I know if i was to produce something i would create it for the high end and then scale it back.
    Much easier to do than the opposite i would think.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786890:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:22 PM:name=PepeNZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PepeNZ @ Jul 27 2010, 06:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im sure this will be fixed if not in the ear future definitely by beta release.
    Maybe its a situation where UW assumed that anyone willing to fork out $40 for a game that's not even in alpha would have like ultra high-end systems.
    Alternately perhaps they were hoping people would send feedback about issues with mid - low end systems so they can optimize the engine for it.

I know if i was to produce something i would create it for the high end and then scale it back.
    Much easier to do than the opposite i would think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well to put it in perspective crysis with very high or ultra textures is +- 100MB of this, and crysis on high is way way way lower like around ~500-600 MB total usage.
  • PepeNZPepeNZ Join Date: 2009-05-26 Member: 67485Members
    yeah thats a good comparison as thats a polished finished product and this definately isnt :)
    means with all the refinements they are bound to do its only going to get MUCH better.
  • lemmings2lemmings2 Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73230Members
    I mean, im not trying to say anything inflammatory here, but I think constantly exhausting the excuse that just because this is alpha certain things are irrelevant is kind of counter intuitive to the alpha process.

Mr. Epic raised a concern and then used another game to reinforce the point, and give some comparison. If he didnt raise the issue its possible no one would have known, but constantly allowing the excuse "Oh that will get fixed, this is just alpha." doesn't help anyone. It is our job as alpha participants to challenge the developers and so that they can take the game to the next level.
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786968:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:10 PM:name=lemmings2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lemmings2 @ Jul 27 2010, 07:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean, im not trying to say anything inflammatory here, but I think constantly exhausting the excuse that just because this is alpha certain things are irrelevant is kind of counter intuitive to the alpha process.

Mr. Epic raised a concern and then used another game to reinforce the point, and give some comparison. If he didnt raise the issue its possible no one would have known, but constantly allowing the excuse "Oh that will get fixed, this is just alpha." doesn't help anyone. It is our job as alpha participants to challenge the developers and so that they can take the game to the next level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah raising issues like this is fine.
    "its alpha and it will get fixed", just kind of pops out sometimes because there are so many threads like, "ZOMG! I paid $40 and the game is like this? WTF I CANT PLAY". So it starts to feel like everyone raising issues is just complaining.

But yes, thank you for this incite Mr. Epic.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1786968:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:10 PM:name=lemmings2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lemmings2 @ Jul 27 2010, 07:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean, im not trying to say anything inflammatory here, but I think constantly exhausting the excuse that just because this is alpha certain things are irrelevant is kind of counter intuitive to the alpha process.

Mr. Epic raised a concern and then used another game to reinforce the point, and give some comparison. If he didnt raise the issue its possible no one would have known, but constantly allowing the excuse "Oh that will get fixed, this is just alpha." doesn't help anyone. It is our job as alpha participants to challenge the developers and so that they can take the game to the next level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not trying to challenge the devs, I think they are challenged as is (pressure wise, I mean no insult). I just thought I'd share this bit, as it might help allay some concerns about the engine.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Actually, I can only play on ridiculously awful without crashing due to graphics memory usage, and I have 384 MB card. This is a major major issue.