Do buildings build themselves?

ShadowXORShadowXOR Join Date: 2002-11-27 Member: 10106Members
I'm in on the Alpha but wow, it was so bad I turned it off within 10 minutes. I know there is a lot of work to be done, so I'll be trying out each patch as they come until it's truly playable in any kind of fun fashion.

So I heard someone mention build-bots and no longer rushing to create a phasegate.

Is dropping a structure then having a marine build it gone? If so that is a huge step backwards. It's one of those small features that really unite the team and made the game feel unique.

Sure you can say it's one small feature but to me it's huge and representative of a change of mindset that could ruin the game for me. So please, tell me I heard incorrectly.

Comments

• f dotf dot Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73088Members
    Comm gets drones which build the buildings for you just like workers in a RTS.

Gorges still drop OC (Hydras) with an unlimited ammount but cost plasma(iirc).
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    in my 10mn testing alpha, when i build something, as a comm, its the MAC that do the building part, so maybe a marine can too.

btw is the gorge kinda useless / not-fun-anymore as he is at the moment or its me ? cuz not being able to plant RT or DC or even hive kinda suck. Hope that will change in the future ^^

as for the alien commander, i'd imagine more of an alien, that has access to more tools in his minimap, so he can give order. not a full time player. but maybe i misunderstood what they explained before :)

good day all

W8ting for the N3XT P4TCH :)
  • NemesizNemesiz Join Date: 2005-03-09 Member: 44519Members
    edited July 2010
    well as it stands at the moment, the commander cant build structures they have to use robots/drones which they construct and then use those as the builders (think of starcraft or most rts's that involve having an builder per say) as it stands i dont like that it removes the marines/gorge from being able to build or assist in a build.

I mean its fair enough to say well the robots/drones move realy quick and can pretty much cover half the map in the time it takes a marine to run round some coridors leading to fast building times (there pretty fast anyways takes around 4-5seconds for a robot/drone to build anything) but it kinda removes the imersion of trying to build a structure quick to avoid an unwanted/unseen death from behind.

I would like to see the commanders being able to build structures much like the old one, but if they decide to keep it that way it is, its just going to be a massive robot/drone rush at the start 1st one to get 6 builders out and to the resource nodes will have a big start (although the skulks would pick the marine bots off quick)
  • SheepishOneSheepishOne Join Date: 2008-08-18 Member: 64838Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786614:date=Jul 27 2010, 03:19 PM:name=Paranoyak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paranoyak @ Jul 27 2010, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in my 10mn testing alpha, when i build something, as a comm, its the MAC that do the building part, so maybe a marine can too.

btw is the gorge kinda useless / not-fun-anymore as he is at the moment or its me ? cuz not being able to plant RT or DC or even hive kinda suck. Hope that will change in the future ^^

as for the alien commander, i'd imagine more of an alien, that has access to more tools in his minimap, so he can give order. not a full time player. but maybe i misunderstood what they explained before :)

good day all

W8ting for the N3XT P4TCH :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well the Gorge gets his ranged attack, heal spray, OC's, belly slide and the crouch-shield. This is their stock skillset. I guess we'll wait for the upgrades to come out and see what else they can do. Honestly, I kind of like them. I think dynamic infestation, if it's successful, will be very interesting. If OC's can spread it, then the gorge might open up on a building/tactical level again.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786610:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:17 PM:name=f dot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f dot @ Jul 27 2010, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Comm gets drones which build the buildings for you just like workers in a RTS.

Gorges still drop OC (Hydras) with an unlimited ammount but cost plasma(iirc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah. Allowing a single gorge to spend all of your team's plasma will need to be fixed for sure.

This game needs to evenly distribute plasma to all aliens, but also allow an option for players to add their plasma, and all future plasma to a public pool, basically giving proxy to whoever is in hive or gorge (Unless of course I'm mistaken that those are the only two cases for use of plasma). So by default we'll have the system as it is, but if a griefer comes in and tries to use up all the plasma, you can start pooling your own plasma, rather then putting it up for them to waste.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    gorge either jumps ridiculously high, or the camera pans up too much
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The gorge is enter the fatty olympics he can win high jump and long jump.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I was under the impression that each alien player has their own plasma pool and there's one carbon pool for the commander(s).
  • FiresprayFirespray Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72930Members
    Got to agree, I miss marines building by themselves rather than a robot...just doesn't feel right. As he said it really does help a team unite.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I think we will kind of get that back as soon as people realize they need to attack the opposite sides's drones and guard their own ones. That will be the new team uniting crystallization point.
  • WalhallaWalhalla Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43506Members
    The Problem with the robots are after there build a Resstower the robots just can fly

Next Problem is, you can´t repair the Com Station

I thing its a problem that just robots can build, if the Aliens destroy the robots fast enough, the mariens can´t build resstowers
    backwards its the same