Server feedback

124»

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1864671:date=Jul 29 2011, 10:19 AM:name=maesse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maesse @ Jul 29 2011, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Comparing an E8400 to TNT2? Wut?

Either way, tick rate is basically server FPS and is currently limited by CPU. I don't think theres any settings you can play with currently that will result in a higher tickrate. The E8400 is a great dualcore CPU so I suggest just waiting for performance improvements from UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Still, it would be nice to have three major tickrate settings (30, 60, 90?) like Source eventually.
  • plopingoplopingo Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75662Members
    so the tickrate is set automatically by checking the server hardware specs ?
  • maessemaesse Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71213Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864684:date=Jul 29 2011, 05:37 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jul 29 2011, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still, it would be nice to have three major tickrate settings (30, 60, 90?) like Source eventually.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed

<!--quoteo(post=1864695:date=Jul 29 2011, 06:18 PM:name=plopingo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (plopingo @ Jul 29 2011, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864695"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so the tickrate is set automatically by checking the server hardware specs ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's set to 30 currently, but because the server is very CPU hungry it usually floats around 10-30 depending on how far into a game you are, player count and server specs. The server program doesn't know the specs of the computer, it just runs it as fast as it can (with a default max of 30)
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864695:date=Jul 29 2011, 08:18 PM:name=plopingo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (plopingo @ Jul 29 2011, 08:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864695"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so the tickrate is set automatically by checking the server hardware specs ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you didn't quite understand the concept of the tickrate: A 'tick' is basically all the calculations necessary to get from one state of the world to the next. And by that, I mean everything, like how far an object has to be moved, if someone is taking damage... . All these calculations need to be done and are always done every tick. Your CPU needs some time to do all this and will start the next tick when it's finished. The tickrate simply says how many ticks per second the CPU <i>currently</i> does. So it isn't "set", it's simply a calculation result that is telling you how fast your server currently is.

The only thing that could be set is a limit, how many ticks per second your server is allowed to do, so the CPU would just idle a bit before the next tick if it could be faster. But it currently can't be set, it's always 30.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864684:date=Jul 29 2011, 07:37 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jul 29 2011, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still, it would be nice to have three major tickrate settings (30, 60, 90?) like Source eventually.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, it wouldn't be because Source games operating at 66/100 ticks have barely any entities. Unless UWE makes frame computations concurrent which is hopeless case.
  • plopingoplopingo Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75662Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864764:date=Jul 29 2011, 11:04 PM:name=wulf 21)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf 21 @ Jul 29 2011, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you didn't quite understand the concept of the tickrate: A 'tick' is basically all the calculations necessary to get from one state of the world to the next. And by that, I mean everything, like how far an object has to be moved, if someone is taking damage... . All these calculations need to be done and are always done every tick. Your CPU needs some time to do all this and will start the next tick when it's finished. The tickrate simply says how many ticks per second the CPU <i>currently</i> does. So it isn't "set", it's simply a calculation result that is telling you how fast your server currently is.

The only thing that could be set is a limit, how many ticks per second your server is allowed to do, so the CPU would just idle a bit before the next tick if it could be faster. But it currently can't be set, it's always 30.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

" I think you didn't quite understand the concept of the tickrate " agree :p

Thanks for this information, very helpful for me ;)
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    edited March 2012
    Anyone else get a drop in tick rate on there server and is there anything that can be done for build 300 to stabilize it ? Tick drops down as low as 5 toward the end of a round.

16 slot Dedicated Server info: Server start out using 630mb RAM and its a steady 2KBps climb in RAM usage on average to 943mb . Server seems to be using two cores(3.0-3.4Ghz each) and 735MB of RAM (15GB free) 96MBps bandwidth is currently available with current load. Average cpu usage is 14%

64.120.10.242:27016 [KcK]Southern California

Thanks to any and all that may help enlighten the rest of us :)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Well the obvious answer is that as the round goes on, the number of entities that needed to be accounted for and amount of calculations to be done increase. I know there was also a memory leak in the last build that may or may not have been patched.
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    Is there any options to mess with the rates?
    I wonder how several servers out there have a 32 tick .
    Experimented with High/Realtime priority, and the processor affinity settings in the command line and found no increase or decrease for the tick rate.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    The highest tick servers overclock their CPUs to around 5GHz. That's where their performance comes from.
  • Hitman[GER]Hitman[GER] Join Date: 2011-11-29 Member: 135845Members
    Hello,

i have found errors in my server console

Changing setting 'lanGame' to: 'false'...
    Changing setting 'mapName' to: 'ns2_mineshaft'...
    Changing setting 'playerLimit' to: '12'...
    Changing setting 'game' to: 'NS2GmOvrmind'...
    Changing setting 'address' to: '95.156.231.90'...
    Changing setting 'port' to: '27015'...
    Press Tab to open the console window
    Press Ctrl-C to exit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Build 203
    Starting Natural Selection 2 (using NS2-GmOvrmind(v16))
    Failed to load Steam Service
    ServiceStart: failed to start
    BOpenService failed
    ServiceStart: failed to start
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4920
    Connected to Steam servers

Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/prototype_module/prototype_module.model
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.animation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.animation_graph
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.model'
    [19:03:52:039] NS2-GmOvrmind(v16): Initialized successfully.
    Loading 'maps/ns2_mineshaft.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/mining_rockbucket_animated.anim
    ation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan_blade_01_big.anima
    tion_graph'
    Error: PhysX: Adjacencies::CreateDatabase: can't work on non-manifold meshes.
    Error: PhysX: Gu::ConvexMesh::loadConvexHull: convex hull init failed!
    Error: PhysX: Error cooking body 5 of model models/props/refinery/refinery_rock_
    stalagtite_08.model