Selling Limited Edition Keys

Death_IncarnateDeath_Incarnate Join Date: 2005-02-19 Member: 41788Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Could be interesting</div>I'm tempted to buy 3 or 5 limited edition keys to sell later on....I figrue I'll give one to my brother who was a avid NS player. Then sell the rest on ebay or through the forums to poeple who missed out, of course with an inflated price. I'm assuming once I buy the game the key can sit in my email until it is ready to be activating for someone.

Comments

• AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Why are you telling the forums you're going to rip people off later down the road?
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    Darwin was wrong :)
  • Death_IncarnateDeath_Incarnate Join Date: 2005-02-19 Member: 41788Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781363:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:35 AM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Jul 21 2010, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are you telling the forums you're going to rip people off later down the road?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How is it ripping poeple off? I'm giving them somthing they won't be able to purchase ever again. If its a rip off then don't pay for it. On a side note I was wondering if anyone else has thought of this idea.
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781363:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:35 AM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Jul 21 2010, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are you telling the forums you're going to rip people off later down the road?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-Support the dev team by buying extra keys
    -Advertise them as no-longer available Special Edition keys sometime in the future
    -Sell to a buyer that agrees on the price on eBay

YOU'RE RIPPING THEM OFF, JACKASS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: It's a decent idea. But as it stands right now, you don't know any of these things:

-How popular the game will be
    -How good the game will be
    -And thus, how much those keys will be worth
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    there is no benefit to purchasing the SE post-alpha. the only perk is the global black marine model that's not really worth an "inflated price", but you may find 1 or 2 suckers.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    sounds like a good plan to me, and uwe will profit from it, because those SEs wouldn't be sold otherwise, and perhaps it even makes the game more popular.. go for it ;)
  • BoutrosBoutrosGhaliBoutrosBoutrosGhali Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33193Members, Constellation
    He was doing fine there until the big mistake...

<!--quoteo(post=1781357:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:15 PM:name=Death_Incarnate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Death_Incarnate @ Jul 21 2010, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->..of course with an inflated price.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would have been all for it until he came out with that gem
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781370:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:57 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 21 2010, 02:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*snip*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's great and all, but let's look at the facts.

1) The guy is a relative unknown.
    2) Ebay.
    3) "Inflated price".

Following logic, if the guy was trying to do the community favors AND support the dev team, he'd grab some extra keys and sell them back to the community, not let it ride on eBay, or mention an inflated markup. If those aren't red flags to you, you need some more coffee.

Sorry, but I work with a lot of people, and people are scumbags. I let them prove their worth before thinking otherwise. Hence, my initial post in this thread. I am completely for an honest attempt at this.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Business is business, nothing to be shamed of. Good idea, those who want and miss the oppoturnity its their bad.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Personally (and I don't speak for UWE in any capacity whatsoever, ask them directly):

If the SE was a <i>Limited</i> Edition, I'd be deeply, deeply unimpressed, because it's the same logic as the scum of the Earth that are ticket touts. Buy up the limited resource, sell it on at intentionally inflated prices. However, the SE is completely unlimited in number that could be produced, it's only controlled by when you made your purchase. If the original poster does this, and there's enough fools in the world, then perhaps those fools & their money deserve to be parted.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781384:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:14 AM:name=Shockwave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shockwave @ Jul 21 2010, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally (and I don't speak for UWE in any capacity whatsoever, ask them directly):

If the SE was a <i>Limited</i> Edition, I'd be deeply, deeply unimpressed, because it's the same logic as the scum of the Earth that are ticket touts. Buy up the limited resource, sell it on at intentionally inflated prices. However, the SE is completely unlimited in number that could be produced, it's only controlled by when you made your purchase. If the original poster does this, and there's enough fools in the world, then perhaps those fools & their money deserve to be parted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps all SE keys not used by the end of the SE red-lettered-timer should turn into standard pre-order keys :P

I mean surely we don't want some 10 year old to just pay $150 for black armor down the road :P
  • Death_IncarnateDeath_Incarnate Join Date: 2005-02-19 Member: 41788Members
    edited July 2010
    Some of you guys make me out to be some sort of bad guy leeching my way through society. To the people that see reason "Good Job" for being opened minded.

The way I look at it is I'm supporting NS2 development by buying extra copies. I'm also taking a chance assuming the game takes off and is good, if the game is a total bomb then no one would care. Just like the stock market, I'm investing in shares/keys and hoping for a better return value. By inflated price I'm guessing $60 for a forum dweller and with ebay it would be highest bidder.

As far an an unknown your right I used to play alot during 1.0 to 1.04 on the 3am big apple server, kinda of been in and out of ns since 2.0 through its current release, games changed alot. Just because I'm not a vocal forum socialite doesn't mean I'm not a avid ns player.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yah, this is going no where good.
This discussion has been closed.