Balancing the game

xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
Is there a point in balancing the game when all the features aren't in there? Or are we just testing for bugs/etc?

Edit: What I meant was should we focus our direction on balancing the game or should we concentrate on testing for bugs/etc?

Comments

• DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779998:date=Jul 17 2010, 02:46 AM:name=xtcmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xtcmen @ Jul 17 2010, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a point in balancing the game when all the features aren't in there? Or are we just testing for bugs/etc?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At the moment yeah, just testing all the features and reporting bugs and such. Really they'll probably have their hands full with what they can discover on their own, but extra eyes and computer specs will probably help them in unexpected and expected ways. It'll be klunky, I'm sure, like driving a car with no seats, hood and the exhaust pipe leads into the air conditioning... but I suspect there is still fun to be had!
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Make something playable in the alpha, balance/polish everything in the beta.
  • abYsssabYsss Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72433Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779998:date=Jul 17 2010, 08:46 AM:name=xtcmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xtcmen @ Jul 17 2010, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a point in balancing the game when all the features aren't in there? Or are we just testing for bugs/etc?

Edit: What I meant was should we focus our direction on balancing the game or should we concentrate on testing for bugs/etc?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just to tell you, your goal in the alpha will be about making the game crash as much as possible.
    In fact, if you wanna help them, you will probably spend almost no time actually playing and more time doing crazy things to break the game.
    Also important will be seeing how the overall performance is.

Once they are going into beta, balancing and things that are more about playing the game become important.

Short version:

Alpha: Testing if the content provided works in every possible way.
    Beta: Testing if the content provided works, makes fun/motivates, and is balanced.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1780015:date=Jul 17 2010, 03:23 AM:name=abYsss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (abYsss @ Jul 17 2010, 03:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to tell you, your goal in the alpha will be about making the game crash as much as possible.
    In fact, if you wanna help them, you will probably spend almost no time actually playing and more time doing crazy things to break the game.
    Also important will be seeing how the overall performance is.

Once they are going into beta, balancing and things that are more about playing the game become important.

Short version:

Alpha: Testing if the content provided works in every possible way.
    Beta: Testing if the content provided works, makes fun/motivates, and is balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the response, this is what I was wondering.