naming convention

DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
Has there been any though as to how maps should be named. Lots of folks are calling their maps 'ns2_name' or 'ns_name' which really isn't a necessary convention anymore, is it? Or maybe it is. If there are mods or alternate game styles having that could be useful, but I was wondering if there was any official thoughts or plans on this? I mean it would look a little odd if when we released combat maps and called them 'co2_name' or 'co_ns2_name', as it wouldn't be right to go with 'co_name'.

Comments

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't take my word on this but everything i've seen the devs put has always been ns_map.. Is that official? i'm not entirely sure, but my best guess would be that maps will be same as NS1, ns_mapname.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Obviously it's speculation, but yeah, most like likely ns_name or ns2_name.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    99% ns2_
    proven here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/6/design_of_ns2_tram" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...ign_of_ns2_tram</a>
    and logically for the sake of remakes.
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Twitter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twitter)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Checking out the new in-development version of ns2_mineshaft. It's really dark and ominous!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Twitter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twitter)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We put together a blog post on the design and look of ns2_tram.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's safe to assume that maps for vanilla NS2 will be named ns2_<whatever>.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited July 2010
    I think that just like games using the source engine the names will start with the 2 first (or similar) letters of the game(mode), and then "_mapname".

Normal maps will most likely be named ns_something, while mods will either use those maps, or custom made which probably like games such as gmod, use 2 first (or similar) letters of the mods name, like I said at start.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We've been using "ns2_mapname" as a convention so far.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Why no gameplay related names similar to TF2...
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    It's ns2 gameplay :P
    ..everything else comes later like co_ or siege_
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    true, but those are coming and we probably need a list :P

[bleh]
    koth
    pl
    plr
    convoy
    ctf
    [/bleh]
    flaytona
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I don't really understand why the naming convention of ns2_ still exists. New engine, new format with .level; it's unnecessary.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only thing i could imagine is for backwards compatibility in the future, with new game modes and such.
    But in the end you don't need it, thanks to lua.

Gamemode = *see below*
    "" RTS (standard RTS NS2 mode)
    "co" Combat
    "sg" Siege
    "xc" escape
    "or" overrun
    "su" suicide bombing

- you wouldnt even have to name the file like the map's name, but that would go against good programming practices.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    It's a dedicated server searching method that's so old yet so good. Look at how TF2 does it:

ctf_2fort
    pl_goldrush

And in NS2 terms

ns2 = Standard gameplay
    co = Combat (inevitable due to LUA)
    sg = Siege or some variant

It's a simple easy way to distinguish game modes.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yet, you don't have to.
    The server has to answer anyway, so it doesn't matter if you send 16 bits (2 letters) more or less.
    I rather the server sort it out through lua variables than mapnames as, especially with cross over maps, it can get messy.

Imo the best TF2 Maps are Payload Maps with Checkpoints, i.e. cranetop or how its named.
    You can't search for that type of maps as they are either CP_ or PL_, but nothing else.

And it gets really annoying with maps that have no actual game mode, like Achievement_, Surf_ and DM_ maps.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    ^ agreed. Game mode really needs its own category string for filtering.. and IMO they should all be prefixed ns2_.. but strictly filename. Don't even show ns2_ in the browser at all.