Stupid Question

thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
edited June 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
What's the optimal operating system for NS2? I am going to be running bootcamp on my Macbook pro, and I was wondering which windows OS I should get, XP? Vista? 7?. On the net there are still fanboys for each operating system, I would assume windows 7 correct? From what I've heard and seen Vista is a nightmare, and I already own XP and am framliar with it so that would be nice, can someone sell me on windows7?

Comments

• MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    7 Would be my advice too, its more than good enough and suffers none of the problems of Vista, works just as well as XP for me here (plus using the 64bit version lets me take full advantage of lots of RAM).
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2010
    Although I cannot answer your question directly, I have been using XP for quite some time and just switched over to 7 (64 bit) a few days ago. Seems that 7 handles the game really nice so I doubt this will be an issue given correct supporting hardware. I would advise against Vista though. Had partitioned my desktop to run Vista but after using it a bit preferred to stick with XP on my laptop (what I use the most). Being in the computer science field Vista has been a huge joke and once 7 was out it gained much more respect and I can understand why.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Win7+64bit ftw. Humongous video card also helps. Now if only there was a way to stop the Windows-Rot.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1773030:date=Jun 1 2010, 11:48 AM:name=thecowsaysmoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecowsaysmoo @ Jun 1 2010, 11:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the optimal operating system for NS2? I am going to be running bootcamp on my Macbook pro, and I was wondering which windows OS I should get, XP? Vista? 7?. On the net there are still fanboys for each operating system, I would assume windows 7 correct? From what I've heard and seen Vista is a nightmare, and I already own XP and am framliar with it so that would be nice, can someone sell me on windows7?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I do almost all of my development on a Macbook Pro running Windows Vista.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1773058:date=Jun 2 2010, 12:28 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jun 2 2010, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do almost all of my development on a Macbook Pro running Windows Vista.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

all this trash talk about vista and it turns out the core of the game is developed on a vista machine.... hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm did not see that one coming =/

but from what i understand windows 7 = vista without the bugs so it sounds like 7 would be the best bet.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
  • WunschkindWunschkind Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70658Members
    From my understanding 7 is just a more polished version of Vista. (I've had XP32, Vista x64 and now I run Win7x64)
    It mainly uses less RAM (Vista's Aero - DWM - used to keep copies of all windows on the screen in both video & system memory, now they're just in vid mem).
    Many things the inital release of Vista did wrong were fixed with SP1 (like: Extremely slow file copying), it's bad reputation did not recover though ;)

If you've got 4+GB of RAM they're both equally fast and very snappy.

Don't get XP, it is old, performs worse on modern hardware (multi-core CPUs, SSDs and mainly lots of RAM) and is less secure.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    There's really nothing wrong with Vista. It was mostly poorly marketed and preloaded onto a lot of OEM machines (Dell, HP, etc) that simply didn't have the juice to run it well. It was also hampered by ugly release bugs. That being said, at this point, 7 is basically the further development of Vista. Kinda like Vista was a stable beta of 7 or 7 is like Vista SP3 :P If you're going to buy a new OS, 7 is a good choice. There's really no reason to get anything else.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1773115:date=Jun 2 2010, 12:40 PM:name=Karrde)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karrde @ Jun 2 2010, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's really nothing wrong with Vista.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

'Tis true!
    I've seen people go in to buy a laptop and walk right out because it had Vista on it. There is nothing wrong with Vista right now (assuming your computer can actually run it). The initial release had tons of bugs and limited support for third-party stuff, but the latest version seems to do quite fine, now that most major software actually supports it (Windows gets a bad reputation when someone elses product doesn't work with their operating system, unfortunately).
    I also agree though that if you are getting a new Windows machine, Windows 7 is the way to go. Even in its beta state, it was beautiful - and 100x faster than Vista I'm sure.

And besides I'm still running XP on my main machine and likely will be running it for some time to come. I'm a late adopter and don't want to install Windows 7 on my machine until I'm 100% sure all of my programs will run on it properly. I have "modern" hardware and I'm running quite fine, thank you... And is Windows 7 really that much more secure? Take out UAC and I don't think that much has changed. As long as you're not doing anything stupid and have proper security in place, I don't see any issues.

I too was surprised he developed on a Mac+Vista though.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    im running vista on a hp laptop and its fine (once ive disabled and deleted the hp crap)
  • ToHiForAFlyToHiForAFly Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71516Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1773058:date=Jun 2 2010, 05:28 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jun 2 2010, 05:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do almost all of my development on a Macbook Pro running Windows Vista.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why the hell use a macbook pro when you still use Vista?