UWE Stocks

JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
I wonder when UWE is going to enlist on the (New York?) stock exchange?

Comments

• marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    Not any time soon, would be my guess. The company is privately owned, not publically owned/traded.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Ig you have 50k or something to spend im sure the you could be an Angel investor...
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771740:date=May 20 2010, 10:53 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ May 20 2010, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder when UWE is going to enlist on the (New York?) stock exchange?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Never.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1771740:date=May 20 2010, 11:53 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ May 20 2010, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder when UWE is going to enlist on the (New York?) stock exchange?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not as if you can just walk up to reception and say "I feel like enlisting". Do you have any idea what needs to be done before they get to that stage (assuming they wanted too, which I highly doubt) :P
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    Going public will ruin everything for them.
    Board of Directors! PFT!
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    You need to be....a little bigger :P Even Valve is privately traded.
  • fleetcommandfleetcommand Hungary Join Date: 2010-05-20 Member: 71809Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I can't help it but every time I see this topic I see it as "UWE Socks". Maybe they should open a web store selling them :) And "UWE Panties" or "UWE T-shirts" :)
  • BreadManBreadMan Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10854Members, Retired Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1772110:date=May 24 2010, 10:54 AM:name=fleetcommand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fleetcommand @ May 24 2010, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"UWE Panties"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My name is BreadMan and I approve this message.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    If I owned a company, I'd prefer it to remain private (no publicly traded stock). The only real reason to go public is to get extra investor money by selling stock. However, UWE short-circuited that by getting its fans to just give them money without incurring stock liability to the would-be stockholders. Provided they get the money they need to stay in operation, this is immensely more desirable from the UWE perspective.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772110:date=May 24 2010, 12:54 PM:name=fleetcommand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fleetcommand @ May 24 2010, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't help it but every time I see this topic I see it as "UWE Socks". Maybe they should open a web store selling them :) And "UWE Panties" or "UWE T-shirts" :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.cafepress.com/thensstore" target="_blank">http://www.cafepress.com/thensstore</a>

no panties yet, but i know they're an option from cafepress
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Yeah I just checked, you need like 86k of equity (here in Finland) before you can enlist on stock exchange. Is it government regulation or why isn't there a stock exchange for smaller companies? As I do trade stocks myself the lack of competition of stock selling places is probably one for reason brokerage fees. In my bank its 10 euros (12 euros) per trade. I don't know for sure but I reckon that's quite a big profit margin in the age of digital commerce (normal commerce with Visa has 10th of that). Besides it kinda effectively limits trade for smallers amounts of stocks.

I mean surely UWE and a lot of other smaller startup companies would benefit for selling shares in exchange for possible dividends in the future? Especially now with the age of digital commerce, selling those shares would be rather easy. Now 10 000 people preorderd. That's nice. But suppose even 50 people would be ready to invest, say 600 dollars in the company. That's 30k, surely you can hire somebody to do something useful with that?!

Someone is going to point out that share holders could start making stupid decisions with power over the company but I don't see (unless there's government regulation) why shares would have to automatically give right to make decisions in a company? I mean, yeah that's how it usually works but I think it'd done more harm than good for UWE. Why can't you sell shares that don't give you such rights. In the end, its up to Flayra and co. whether company will make profit or not.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    I would rather have UWE develop the game then use 1+ years to go public.
  • MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    Jiriki: most stock exchanges are digital now, but even the ones that aren't, charge a fee to be allowed access to either the digital networking buy/sell system or (if they are not digital) to the trading floor itself. As such, these fees cover the fees charged by the stock exchange, plus some profit as most stock exchanges are now for-profit entities.

UWE would want to stay private for as long as possible so that when they do go public, their IPO price would be the highest possible--thereby making Max and Charlie and any of the original devs super fantastically rich.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Stock exchanges are all about confidence and deliverance. As much as I like the efforts of UWE, their current public and business model around NS2 leans towards a lack of this.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1772799:date=May 29 2010, 09:36 PM:name=MasterPTG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MasterPTG @ May 29 2010, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jiriki: most stock exchanges are digital now, but even the ones that aren't, charge a fee to be allowed access to either the digital networking buy/sell system or (if they are not digital) to the trading floor itself. As such, these fees cover the fees charged by the stock exchange, plus some profit as most stock exchanges are now for-profit entities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Of course they charge a fee, its business. I was just wondering how trade of a digital item can cost 10 euros (or 12 dollars) per transaction when in the case of commodities its not even close to that (I think its 50-80c per transaction for Visa etc.). How many copies of NS would have been preordered if you'd have to pay 10 euros extra to the debit/credit card company? But this is just a side question, not really relevant to my topic.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE would want to stay private for as long as possible so that when they do go public, their IPO price would be the highest possible--thereby making Max and Charlie and any of the original devs super fantastically rich.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah you're right but its not like they have to sell their whole company. They can still sell shares later on (or create new ones) either for personal profit or for extra capital for future production.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather have UWE develop the game then use 1+ years to go public.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What are you talking about? This is exactly the reason I want them to "go public". If they'd sell shares, they could have more capital and we'd get the game sooner. Its mutual benefit.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772804:date=May 29 2010, 04:26 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ May 29 2010, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of course they charge a fee, its business. I was just wondering how trade of a digital item can cost 10 euros (or 12 dollars) per transaction when in the case of commodities its not even close to that (I think its 50-80c per transaction for Visa etc.). How many copies of NS would have been preordered if you'd have to pay 10 euros extra to the debit/credit card company? But this is just a side question, not really relevant to my topic.

Yeah you're right but its not like they have to sell their whole company. They can still sell shares later on (or create new ones) either for personal profit or for extra capital for future production.

What are you talking about? This is exactly the reason I want them to "go public". If they'd sell shares, they could have more capital and we'd get the game sooner. Its mutual benefit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

most of the people who pre-ordered the game feel like they own a piece of UWE already and are pressuring them to release it... i cant imagine the pressure they would get if they had real investors breathing down their back.

keep the company private or you'll end up with another half-assed/appeal to the masses EA game.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1773034:date=Jun 1 2010, 03:21 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Jun 1 2010, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->keep the company private or you'll end up with another half-assed/appeal to the masses EA game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this

think back on the NFS games of the past 5 years or so... arguably good but incomplete
  • MotherGooseMotherGoose Join Date: 2002-03-12 Member: 308Members, Constellation
    that cafe press link is not official is it?

those designs are TERRIBLE.

i would like a pair of UWE Socks.

please advise.
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    it would be good if that cafepress stuff was updated to have ns2 designs, im going to i40 and it would be good to have a ns2 shirt to wear and be noticed to generate some free publicity at such a event.