Different forms of infestation

RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
edited May 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
While I still don't know how this stuff will work exactly, yet as a marine I'd be very grossed out by this gunk and would want to wipe it off of my boots right away. Which had me pondering. What if there wasn't only one kind of infestation? What if there was one that darkened the surroundings or one that was really sticky and gooey? "I know I wouldn't escape from even a Onos while trudging through this god-awful corridor. Well, unless I had a jetpack." Ouch, there may even be a kind of infestation with spines. But of course there needs to be a reason for infestation to have different properties. Perhaps if alien structures do produce the foul stuff, each structure may have infestation with its own special properties or they can be upgraded with one. Or it could be some kind of alien commander thing that it upgrades all infestation with a property. Or even, wow that would be wild, there were different Kharaa clans that had different perks like infestation types, etc. Bah, I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Carry on Pvt.

edit: fixed errors

Comments

• SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Humm you could have an upgrade I suppose, Like one for the <u>Whip</u>, Radius around it can apply an effect to the marines of a "Sticky Ground" so its harder to escape from the <u>Whip</u>
  • stereoastereoa Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71702Members
    Good idea! Maybe the movement chambers produce a speed boosting climate for aliens and make things slippery and difficult for marines?
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    I love a variety of environments and atmospheres. I also love different strategies and game play choices. This could work to create both. I support this in some form for sure.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It would make the infestation clearing flamethrower really useful.
  • GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
    so are we sure infestation is even still in the game? i just hadnt heard anything about it for a while. it sort of faded into the shadows, and no one talked about it :P which i thought was weird considering how hyped it was in the beginning, to the point that it was at the end of every video, integral to the revealing of the name "natural selection 2" at then end of the videos.

then one day, there was a new video...and no infestation at the end! they took out the sound effects of it and everything! but i didnt hear anything about it! just poof gone! i realllllly hope its in there, and if ive just missed announcements or some such, id love to hear about it!

+1 vote for dynamic infestation in release!

ps, i like the ideas, would be fun to have different properties, as long as it didnt hinder the marines too much. more like minor inconvienences that are the last things you want to deal with when fighting an alien. kind of like the straw that broke the camels back. :)
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    Grave, they have spoken on this before.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=105038&st=3620&p=1755425&#entry1755425" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1755425</a>

found by by searching infestation + cory

After looking through the results myself and reading up on Khaara origins, having multiple infestation types doesn't make sense with the current backstory and would have to have some changes to it. The Khaara came to be as they are because of mutation from infestation, they don't produce infestation. =/
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Many relationships in nature are symbiotic. I don't see why the Kharra, having been corrupted by the infestation, now have the ability to manipulate it to a limited extent.

P.S. I like the idea of multiple infestation types as well.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    This idea is full of win. You have my permission go go ahead.

That will be all, thank you.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Then we need to change the model of the chambers. Would hate to place a chamber in the corner only having it sniped by a rambo so he can move through without difficulties.
  • GenomaxterGenomaxter Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21597Members
    now that would truly be a dynamic infestation.
    I love the idea!
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    At this point. Seeing as how they've been so quiet about it for a while now, I'll settle to having the one kind still be in the game.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    it is a cool idea though
  • GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
    [quote name='Razor' date='May 13 2010, 03:10 AM' post='1771041']
    Grave, they have spoken on this before.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=105038&st=3620&p=1755425&#entry1755425" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1755425</a>

found by by searching infestation + cory

thanks for that!