PayPal vs Google Checkout

SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
I been looking into these two for payment methods my self for my own projects.
I belive Paypal is more expensive than Google Checkout.

Both Paypal & Google Checkout have the same price structure for quick buy buttons etc:

Less than £1500 3.4% + £0.20
£1500 - £5999.99 2.9% + £0.20
£6000 - £14999.99 2.4% + £0.20
£15000 - £54999.99 1.9% + £0.20
£55000 or more 1.4% + £0.20

The difference is that Paypal in small print has a £20 monthly fee ontop of the charges:
<!--QuoteBegin-paypal+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paypal)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There is one low monthly fee of £20 and low transaction charges of 1.4 - 3.4%* plus 20p, depending on sales volume (see table below)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only small print I found with google is a 1% extra charge for foreign currency..
<u>(Paypal is 3% - For international payments we charge a 2.5% FX fee and a 0.5% cross border fee (where applicable).)</u>.

<!--QuoteBegin-google+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (google)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Orders from buyers whose billing address is outside the country of your Google Checkout account will be assessed an additional 1% processing fee. Cross-border orders are noted within your account on the Order Details page.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Fraud Chargeback Fees</b>
Google cherges £7
Paypal - I cant find..
PayPal offer a fraud filter for an extra 5p per filtered transaction and this only reduces fraud (how effectively is unknown) I think google do this anyway.
Both have fraud protection as standard.

Using Google Checkout instead of PayPal looks like it saves you 1.5% to 2% for foreign transactions and saves you £20 a month?

Anyone confim that and think NS2 should also be sold via Google Checkout and even PayPal scrapped?

Comments

• MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    No, because Google checkout doesnt accept Maestro cards anymore (last time I checked/tried anyway) which rules out a pretty large number of UK/European customers.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    I wouldn't worry about Maestro cards. Yes they are popular in Europe, but they are a very poor substitute to credit card for online shopping, and most European online stores don't even support them ( e.g. Komplett doesn't support Maestro )
  • Water_BoyWater_Boy Join Date: 2003-08-19 Member: 19951Members, Constellation
    also, most banks are currently rolling out VISA debit's to replace their maestro's or atleast in the UK they are, all the benefits of a VISA credit with none of the debt :D
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1769659:date=May 4 2010, 03:45 PM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ May 4 2010, 03:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't worry about Maestro cards. Yes they are popular in Europe, but they are a very poor substitute to credit card for online shopping, and most European online stores don't even support them ( e.g. Komplett doesn't support Maestro )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The question is do UWE want to limit themselves by ignoring those who do have only a maestro card? Thats a fair number of people imo and could cause some missed sales, regardless im all for additional extra ways to buy the game, just dont ignore those of us who dont have credit cards for whatever reasons :)

Once NS2 gets on Steam this will be a pretty moot point anyway as Steam supports a pretty wide range of billing options :D
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1769709:date=May 5 2010, 07:42 AM:name=TheReaper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheReaper @ May 5 2010, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question is do UWE want to limit themselves by ignoring those who do have only a maestro card? Thats a fair number of people imo and could cause some missed sales, regardless im all for additional extra ways to buy the game, just dont ignore those of us who dont have credit cards for whatever reasons :)

Once NS2 gets on Steam this will be a pretty moot point anyway as Steam supports a pretty wide range of billing options :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you dont need a card to open a paypal account, just a bank account.
  • ValoValo Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46102Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1769709:date=May 4 2010, 04:42 PM:name=TheReaper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheReaper @ May 4 2010, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question is do UWE want to limit themselves by ignoring those who do have only a maestro card? Thats a fair number of people imo and could cause some missed sales, regardless im all for additional extra ways to buy the game, just dont ignore those of us who dont have credit cards for whatever reasons :)

Once NS2 gets on Steam this will be a pretty moot point anyway as Steam supports a pretty wide range of billing options :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i think one of the major uk banks (natwest) is starting to phase out maestro, replacing it with visa electron.
  • hiloboyshiloboys Join Date: 2008-05-27 Member: 64340Members
    I can help ya with that since I work with anti online fraud for a living. Go with google check out.

First off paypal has a $25.00 per chargeback fee. (Even if the charge being reversed is $1.00)

Secondly. Paypal has a very strict 0 liability for Virtual Item Fraud.

Aka if you don't have a tracking number for the item sold, you as the business lose out. All virtual item fraudulent claims are by default given to the purchaser. Basically all virtual item businesses are screwed with paypal. And to top all of that off. The person has 6 months from date of purchase to contest the charge(s) and get a refund if the seller does not have physical tracking number or some type of physical proof.

If you really want to use the versatility of paypal with international customers (the only reason to use them to begin with) id suggest some type of company such as Trustwho that guarantees less than 1 % chargebacks or they will cover the entire cost including the paypal fees. Basically they physically call the purchaser, verify them with whatever they do to verify and have recorded proof of purchase they use incase any chargebacks happen.

The company I work for so far since we started using their services has had 0 chargebacks in the past 3 years. (Used to be upwards of 25% chargebacks before we started using them.)

Trust me if you don't need paypal, dont use them. If you do, get protection like trustwho. NCSoft suffered HUGE when they didnt listen. Wanna know why Aion died 4 months after release? They didnt have paypal protection and over Tens of thousands of accounts were purchased from bot farming companies with fraudulent paypal accounts and/or refunds. On top of having to refund all of the money and ban all of the bots, they had to pay $25.00 EVERY chargeback.

Hope this helps.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Cool, Thats good to know, I knew Paypal was hiding chargeback fees somewhere, thats is megar steep!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1771649:date=May 19 2010, 09:21 AM:name=Valo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valo @ May 19 2010, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think one of the major uk banks (natwest) is starting to phase out maestro, replacing it with visa electron.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In the banking industry we're phasing out visa electron.

EDIT:

I can make it clearer, most if not the major ones are planning on using Visa and Mastercard. Current systems see Mastercard favoured for Credit cards and Visa for debit, this is the beginning of a part-standardisation to make things simple for UK banking. Not all are subject to this, and it is currently a plan being implemented and I don't remember the "due date" for it; however any bank that signs up to the banking code, so all major banks, where there system can currently support will move to this plan or upgrade it to this by a certain time.

Solo <b>is</b> being removed as it currently tracks an old system and costs too much money across the sector. Visa Electron is being removed as it's on a different system to Visa and is actually identical with different registration, so it makes no sense to do so. Although the roll out of removal is extremely slow, the bank I'm working for is still currently using it for certain accounts.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2010
    www.paypalsucks.com
  • GNS_HarrisonGNS_Harrison Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72648Members
    edited July 2010
    If you are going to be doing virtual services or any intangible items, I would recommend you to stay away from Google. That is from my personal experience, I have stopped using them.

It is very sad to know that up to this date that even though the internet was a new change on purchasing things online it can still come out to be a fraud or a scam order. However if you are selling tangible items or physical items you will be safe.

Google won't support you and tell you to basically "you lost, stop asking".