Making Glass

Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
From this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008/10/unknown_worlds_videocast_5" target="_blank">video</a> it looks like we can put glass in. I don't see any kind of texture or prop. Can we do it with the tools we have now?

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I'm afraid not. The kind of semi-transparency that glass requires isn't currently working in the engine.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1769102:date=Apr 29 2010, 02:37 AM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Apr 29 2010, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008/10/unknown_worlds_videocast_5" target="_blank">video</a> it looks like we can put glass in. I don't see any kind of texture or prop. Can we do it with the tools we have now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That "glass" looks like it is actually a hallway with holes in the geometry and Window props/geometry infront of these holes. Either there is light in the "skybox" (cinematic file) or there are spotlights outside of the map geometry that is shining in through the hole. This is all very possible with the editor atm, but as Insane mentioned already, actual shader transparency isn't possible yet.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Semi-transparency will be introduced with the first ns2 expansion pack and another bunch of preorders worth 250k.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2010
    It also shows ya volumetric lights (atmospheric in the editor), but that has been disabled as well in our version of the editor/engine

Max is mean, I mean he is turning off features we really want :P
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    There's not glass in the video. Glass is not possible yet, transparency map is not coded in the shader, but they said it's coming. Creating a material without a diffuse map isn't possible either so don't count on trying to simulate glass either, I tried. Haha ! ;)
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    But what about making a model with one on it? or maybe thats not possible either =/
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    You can't, it just doesn't support that kind of transparency at all (yet!).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    And all of this means, the marines can't even get a nice cold glass of beer (off duty of course :P)
  • ArkArk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68489Members
    edited April 2010
    I suppose you could try and fake the reflections if the engine as any cubemap support yet?