Unofficial Steam Achievements Thread

resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
edited April 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Community Thought Up Achievements so the Dev's have a choice</div>I know it's pre-alpha, but is it way too early to think up Steam Achievements?

You know the drill: PUN INTENDED TITLE and/or REFERENCE, then the REQUIREMENT

Marksman - Killing 20 Skulks with Pistol
Last Resort - Killing 50 Skulks with Knife
Chopping Time - Destroying 20 Alien Structures with the Axe

etc

Think Weapons, Upgrades, Activities that you can do (like building, welding..), etc.;
Remember also that Achievements also have a side-effect of encouraging certain gameplay like teamwork over solo play, attacking specific structures (like resources nodes) for points or 'recognition'/awards and so on, so don't leave those out :)
And, if you can make the traditional achievement boxes with photoshop, illustrator, etc submit them here too!

Comments

• ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You think, archiments like in Team Fortress 2 ?

mh, would be a funny thing :)
  • KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    <b>Skin and Teeth</b> - Kill enemies whilst below a certain amount of health
    <b>Rambo</b> - Kill x amount of enemies single handedly without reloading with the minigun
    <b>Death from above </b>- Kill an enemy whilst falling.
    <b>Spelunking </b>- Die from falling
    <b>Fair play </b>- Evened the teams x amount of times.

Various building achiements for building structures.

<b>Military Strategist</b> - Win 50 games as commander
    <b>Sun Tzu</b> - Win 100 games as commander

What about titles aswell. i am sure people would enjoy running around with some sorta title like

Khaz "Rambo" Modan

or

KhazModan - Strategist.

Probably too MMO though
  • ShzarShzar Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21098Members, Constellation
    I think achievements should reward exceptional playing. Things like "Kill 100 opponents" are fine too, but anyone can do those given enough time, where things like "Kill 10 opponents in one life" commemorate excellent rounds and require at least a modest familiarity with the game.

POCKET GORGE
    As a gorge, heal 1000 points of damage on a fade or onos in a single life.

TASTY LEMMINGS
    As a skulk, use cloak to sneak attack and kill 5 marines in the same area in a single life.

ECONOMIC WARFARE
    Build a Resource Tower/Collector in a round before firing/biting/spitting.

NO TIME TO LOSE
    Lead your team to victory in less than three minutes.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    42 - win a game where you are #1, had fun, wasnt cause of the game ending as killing objective is lame, had 42 kills, 42 deaths, fired 42 shoots, took 42 hits, used 3.14 different guns, and played for 1337 seconds.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    This is a good idea, but how does the Steam Achievement stuff work ? Does UWE have to provide their Achievements or is Steam making them ?

So basically how much influence can we have on this, because nothing sucks more like those retarded kill 1000000000000000 enemies Achievements, which just tell people that you wasted a lot of time killing people and maybe totally not getting the point of the game.

I'm for as many nice and help the players to learn achievements that we can think of and those posted above are quite nice ! Keep it up !

KHARAA WATCH (Bay Watch, in case this pun sucks ...)
    As a gorge heal a heavy wounded enemy that has been under fire recently or is under fire.

LUCKY LERK (Lucky Luke, if you might not get my poor puns :)
    Hit a marine with X spikes, before he or she deals any damage to you

WELD UP ! (SUIT UP ! ... okay this one sucks)
    Weld x structures / players / doors as commander or player

LOYAL (I'm out of puns now -.-)
    Follow X amounts of orders from your marine commander

OBEY !
    Follow X amounts of orders from your hive mind

STICKS AND STONES DON'T BREAK MY BONES
    Block X amount of damage with your Onos Shield (whatever it is called)

SUPPORTER
    Spend a certain amount of ressources on Collectors or marine supportive gear, before spending any on life forms or weapons

The HIVES (yeah it's a great band !)
    Build a certain number of hives

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE
    Stay in the air with your Jetpack without touching any obstacles for X seconds.

I'M A LUMBERJACK AND I'M OKAY (Monty Python ofcourse) [note: one of the less usefull Achievements, sadly]
    Kill x number of Kharaa lifeforms and / or buildings with an axe.

HOLD ON I'M COMING !(great song)
    Handing out medpacks to your marines while they are under attack and critically low on life as a marine commander (if medpacks as we know them are still in)

NAILED IT ! (if they make the Onos or was it Lerk impale marines against walls) [note: one of the less usefull Achievements, sadly]
    Nail a marine against a wall as Onos (Horn) or Lerk (Spikes)

GORGE OUS (I most likely failed to spell that right -.-)
    Slide a certain distance on your belly as a gorge.

JERK ! [might be a stupid idea, because you should kill gestating life forms, so the first part isn't that usefull]
    Kill X gestating life forms or kill X recently spawned life forms ( if you do so you are just a jerk :P )

That's about what I came up with,

please don't do things like

Kill 10 Gorges with a Shotgun, because thats just not a nice thing to do (poor gorgies) also it's a boring Achievement, it's imho way more fun to be rewarded for something innuative you did, maybe even not on purpose and in the best case the Achievement might hint the player at things like this that are just useful for playing the game.

PS: Wasn't there already a thread on I&S about this ?
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    How about u do only achievements on lame console and don't f*** up the normal PC release.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768883:date=Apr 28 2010, 12:32 AM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about u do only achievements on lame console and don't f*** up the normal PC release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Achievements are fun as long as they don't actually have any impact on the game. No unlocks, no nothing. Just something neat to look at.

Also, you guys are all missing graphics with your achievements. Where are the 64 x 64 icons?!
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Flaming rage removed. Play nicely. - JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    THey should also only encourage sensible play. No crap like "get 100 <type x> kills" or you'll have devastation on severs with people playing for achievements instead of to win.

It should be sensible stuff like "win 5 maps on ns_bast2" and "build 1 resource tower on every map" or "kill a resource tower on every map". Something that if a player takes a detour during a single round to perform it doesn't disrupt the team objective for more than a minute.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It would be pretty cool if the Achievements were like Medals, similar to Rainbow Six Vegas 2 where you get an achievement and when you go look at it, it's a medal.

"The Enemy Approaches!" - Parasite 10 enemies as a Skulk.

"This is my Hive. There are many like it, but this one is mine." - Kill one Heavy Armor that is attacking the hive by yourself.

"My shrink says I need an outlet for my aggression." - Single-handedly kill an Onos.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I completely forgot about the potential for achievements. This should be great fun.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    achievements = wreak NS2

cant think of a dummer thing to do.. oh i know. get extra points for camping...

the only achievements that could be used would have to be all team based, like build 'x' many structures.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    collector: 100 res join in a alien game without using them for anything :S

greenpeace: get the commands to recycle everything in ms
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768893:date=Apr 28 2010, 02:27 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Apr 28 2010, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"My shrink says I need an outlet for my aggression." - Single-handedly kill an Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now this is the kind of achievement that we don't need.
    It distracts from the actual gameplay and is an invitation to join an achievement server to kill an afk onos.
  • KashmirKashmir Join Date: 2009-08-31 Member: 68659Members
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Given the last couple of posts, yeah I think Achievements have the potential to ruin the game if not done properly.

Must read lightly.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    I thought the previous thread determined that achievements could kill the mp experience.

Unless it was like those 1 time only things like.

Into the spray. As a Gorge, healspray a buddy.
    Commander's view. Command for the first time.
    Dedicated Marine. Finish a game without leaving the Marines.
    Dedicated Kharaa. Finish a game without leaving the Kharaa.

ect. That kinda stuff.

Sure it isn't really achieving much but it's promoting good play.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768899:date=Apr 28 2010, 11:21 AM:name=whocareswc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whocareswc @ Apr 28 2010, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->achievements = wreak NS2

cant think of a dummer thing to do.. oh i know. get extra points for camping...

the only achievements that could be used would have to be all team based, like build 'x' many structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh god, tin foil hat much?
  • Water_BoyWater_Boy Join Date: 2003-08-19 Member: 19951Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768891:date=Apr 28 2010, 01:04 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Apr 28 2010, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->THey should also only encourage sensible play. No crap like "get 100 <type x> kills" or you'll have devastation on severs with people playing for achievements instead of to win.

It should be sensible stuff like "win 5 maps on ns_bast2" and "build 1 resource tower on every map" or "kill a resource tower on every map". Something that if a player takes a detour during a single round to perform it doesn't disrupt the team objective for more than a minute.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what he said, they ruin games because people disapear off doing "achievements so i look cool, hey check my e-penis" etc, not fun!
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    Although achievments like that can be used to good effect. (Hear me out.)

Achievment for playing this at least one time(all seperate achievments):

Skulk
    Gorge
    Lork
    Fade
    Onos
    Marine
    Commander
    H.E.X.O. (Heavy Exoskeleton)
    J.P. (Jetpacker)

These are like the, do these playstyles, but they promote playing everything the game offers.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    Could someone explain the point of achievements to me?

I am a little confused about how achievements are supposedly "fun", I don't see the fun in pointless, meaningless and useless "rewards" that does nothing. So many times I've seen games that has achievements, but they don't improve gameplay, they are just there to be there, what is the point? Only time I've ever seen achievements done well, is in WoW, where certain ones gave you hints on how to beat an encounter differently, but that was always a group effort.

I guess the reason is that collecting stuff somehow caters to our brain, we just want to collect it all, but to what purpose? Maybe I just haven't seen enough games use achievements well, so please give some examples of where achievements improves overall gameplay.

If you read this post, you are now awarded with 25 x [Virtual Internet Cookie], awesome, right? :D
  • shoestershoester Join Date: 2003-10-30 Member: 22147Members
    edited April 2010
    Veteran - Spawn camp the entire alien team 5 maps in a row

Bdrop - Bunny hop a marine down a long corridor and chuckle at their horrible skill.

Rambo ultimatum - Destroy 25 aliens in a single life.

Base ###### - Build base.

"Can't aim? No problem!" - Miss all 30 bullets with the lmg and all (12?) shots with the pistol on a single target, throw a hand grenade to get the kill.

"The Legend of Hellabean" - Kill yourself, and two other allies on mines when trying to destroy a phasegate.
  • KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    what about anti-achievements

Call them ASBO's (Anti Social Behaviour Orders)

WTJer joining the winning team whilst a part of the losing team
    Spawncamper

cant really thing of anything else atm, but these are basically badges of dishonour so simply by playing nice you dont accumulate them.

bit of a nanny state idea i know. let the community police the servers and all that.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    Some great ideas already, but also some really vile comments too.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1768904:date=Apr 27 2010, 09:05 PM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Apr 27 2010, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now this is the kind of achievement that we don't need.
    It distracts from the actual gameplay and is an invitation to join an achievement server to kill an afk Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First, if there's an AFK Onos, he probably deserves to die.

Second, it's not really supporting the idea of going out and killing x amount of aliens. Plus, it's really not that easy to kill an Onos by yourself. It takes a full HMG clip + Weapons 3 to kill an Onos by yourself. This will probably change in NS2 though.

And third, you usually see people running after an Onos if they start to retreat. So it's not really supporting the idea of running around the level looking for Onii, especially since most Onii come late game.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768975:date=Apr 28 2010, 09:44 AM:name=shoester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shoester @ Apr 28 2010, 09:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"The Legend of Hellabean" - Kill yourself, and two other allies on mines when trying to destroy a phasegate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It has to be a lerk and two fades to qualify
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hive Five: As a gorge, build 5 chambers near a hive.

Or something else. I just want to use Hive Five lol.
    <!--quoteo(post=1769027:date=Apr 28 2010, 05:38 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Apr 28 2010, 05:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hive Five: As a gorge, build 5 chambers near a hive.

Or something else. I just want to use Hive Five lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about build 5 hives in one game?
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1769023:date=Apr 29 2010, 12:21 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Apr 29 2010, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First, if there's an AFK Onos, he probably deserves to die.

Second, it's not really supporting the idea of going out and killing x amount of aliens. Plus, it's really not that easy to kill an Onos by yourself. It takes a full HMG clip + Weapons 3 to kill an Onos by yourself. This will probably change in NS2 though.

And third, you usually see people running after an Onos if they start to retreat. So it's not really supporting the idea of running around the level looking for Onii, especially since most Onii come late game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) That's not much of an achievement though, is it?
    And by "achievement server" I meant a server where people only go to complete achievements, so the onos wouldn't move on purpose.

2) It's supporting the idea of fighting an onos all by yourself, which is a really stupid thing to do.

3) You said "single-handedly", that rules out teamplay.

I'm not really focused on this particular example.
    My point is, for a team-based game like NS2, achievements should only reward teamplay.