Light options

pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by NatureGermany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
<div class="IPBDescription">..to adress all kinds of lights</div>Although it's obvious that the editor is "still under construction" and we can't have every fancy feature, yet, I'd like to gather people's opinions on what option they'd like to have for the lights.

Basicly I've created this thread, because I've noticed phong/highlight/reflection on textures/models from lights that are supposed to be invisible, because their sole purpose is to just create some ambient or radiosity lighting.

So these are my suggestions for light options in addition to the current option "cast shadows [true/false]":

-no phong/specular map (especially useful for ambient and radiosity lights, which don't really represent a real light source)
-only lit props or world geometry or players(?)
-quality (determines when the detailed shadows fade away depending on view distance)

What are your suggestions?

Comments

• SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited April 2010
    -Need an option like "is distant" for odd ball single lights that need to cast a vital shadow regaurdless of distance from it.

-I guess flashing lights etc are all cinematic related

-Exposure true/false : If set to true looking at the light directly is dazzling like HDR. Excellent for the one off bright skylight or landmark.
    -- Exposure max intensity.
  • GenomaxterGenomaxter Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21597Members
    I couldn't agree more Barlow. Was thinking the same thing. But i think your first one is the most important imo.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Indeed very useful. I was going that direction with the "quality" option, but being able to set the exact distance yourself is, of course, much more useful.
  • taledentaleden Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15252Members, Constellation
    It seems to me that the disappearing-shadows phenomenon is related to the light's own range -- if I set the max distance super high, I can make the shadows stay visible as far away as necessary, depending on lines of sight to the shadow. You then have to adjust the intensity and angles (you can use decimals for both) to compensate and get the look you want, but it's working so far for me.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Rather than a toggle I would suggest instead that you simply add a specular intensity/colour setting, so that you can adjust the specular power and colour independent of the lighting power and colour, that's how most lighting implementations do it.
  • BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768240:date=Apr 22 2010, 05:31 AM:name=taleden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taleden @ Apr 22 2010, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems to me that the disappearing-shadows phenomenon is related to the light's own range -- if I set the max distance super high, I can make the shadows stay visible as far away as necessary, depending on lines of sight to the shadow. You then have to adjust the intensity and angles (you can use decimals for both) to compensate and get the look you want, but it's working so far for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, only problem is that the edges become very edgy and not as smooth as a spot light with lower range.
  • ToranaA9XToranaA9X Join Date: 2010-04-15 Member: 71420Members
    I'd like to see volumetric lighting.

Been trying to work out how to create a beam of light and have failed in all attempts so far. (anyone got any suggestions on how to fake it?)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1768378:date=Apr 23 2010, 11:50 AM:name=ToranaA9X)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ToranaA9X @ Apr 23 2010, 11:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see volumetric lighting.

Been trying to work out how to create a beam of light and have failed in all attempts so far. (anyone got any suggestions on how to fake it?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it is implemented currently
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768378:date=Apr 23 2010, 10:50 AM:name=ToranaA9X)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ToranaA9X @ Apr 23 2010, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see volumetric lighting.

Been trying to work out how to create a beam of light and have failed in all attempts so far. (anyone got any suggestions on how to fake it?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Model it, or use spark faces with a mostly-seethrough texture, but I don't think alpha mapped textures are supported yet so you might not be able to.

But that's how most games do it, you can get a pretty good effect using that method.
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768383:date=Apr 23 2010, 01:39 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Apr 23 2010, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it is implemented currently<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This, sort of.

Lights are equipped with an 'atmospheric' flag. Some of the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008/10/unknown_worlds_videocast_5" target="_blank">early engine videos</a> showed off it's effects.

It's not currently in the public releases of the engine for being buggy/broken. It is implemented, just not fit for public (ab)use.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1768240:date=Apr 21 2010, 08:31 PM:name=taleden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taleden @ Apr 21 2010, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems to me that the disappearing-shadows phenomenon is related to the light's own range -- if I set the max distance super high, I can make the shadows stay visible as far away as necessary, depending on lines of sight to the shadow. You then have to adjust the intensity and angles (you can use decimals for both) to compensate and get the look you want, but it's working so far for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would recommend against doing this. You're just making a work-around for something that is going to be fixed by the time your map is actually being used.
    The proximity based shadows are just an optimization they made for the engine test because they haven't had the time to implement a more correct solution yet. It's not going to stay this way.

Proof: <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/proximity_based_shadow_casting" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t..._shadow_casting</a>
  • taledentaleden Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15252Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768413:date=Apr 23 2010, 10:53 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Apr 23 2010, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would recommend against doing this. You're just making a work-around for something that is going to be fixed by the time your map is actually being used.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh I totally agree, it's a hack of a workaround and as soon as the engine bug is fixed, I'll change my spots back. I've just been doing this in the mean time so I can continue lighting the room and be able to see from a distance how the shadows are going to fall.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1768397:date=Apr 23 2010, 03:38 PM:name=Private)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Private @ Apr 23 2010, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768397"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This, sort of.

Lights are equipped with an 'atmospheric' flag. Some of the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008/10/unknown_worlds_videocast_5" target="_blank">early engine videos</a> showed off it's effects.

It's not currently in the public releases of the engine for being buggy/broken. It is implemented, just not fit for public (ab)use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed, that is what I meant :P