NS2 Alpha test team

FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
edited April 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey all,

In lieu of the new engine release, I would like to create a team that will test the NS2 Alpha when it is released. Its a casual group that will just hunt for bugs and push the engine to its limits. While I still respect competitive play, I don't think I have the time anymore to dedicate to a team, so this group will be mainly for fun and bug hunting.

Anyone who would like to participate just post in the thread, I'll see if I can get a TS3 server up for testing.

The team so far:

FireWater
Wolf
Andrew
Thunderbuns
and QWERTY

Comments

• SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I'm game, Running servers for just about any game i will find the crawly critters.
    I can provide a dxdiag if needed and also host 50 slot TS3 server on my blade when needed.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey John,

I'm always up for bug hunting again, will remind me of the 1.04 days. I'm game.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Yeah sounds good, especially if we can get a server host, though my instinct tells me that there will probably not be a dedicated server module for the community in Alpha. Though if I am wrong its nice to have a backup plan! :)

Both of you guys would be welcomed additions to the team

So Far its

FireWater
    Wolf
    Andrew
    Thunderbuns
    and QWERTY
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Sounds like a great time to me Firewater, you can count me in.
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
  • SuicideSuicide Join Date: 2010-04-20 Member: 71467Members
    I will help with the alpha testing if you need another.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    i am definitely in but i will be testing more the server side of things.
    If they do drop a dedicated server i could host but may be a high ping for you all on the east coast as i am about 100yrds from the pacific ocean.

I am assuming it will most likely be a listen server but sometimes a high ping in the mix can be beneficial to finding bugs do to latency spikes.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I'm definitely interested, but I've got quite a bit of things to figure out in my life and I don't really know how much time and energy I've got for NS2 once the alpha is out. I'll definitely consider this once the alpha is out.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    I can host a euro server for you guys if we get dedicated server files for the alpha :)
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Everyone who plays the alpha will be the bug hunting "team". What is the point of this?
  • DrakonDrakon Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12069Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768074:date=Apr 20 2010, 09:13 PM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Apr 20 2010, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone who plays the alpha will be the bug hunting "team". What is the point of this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Specifically hunting down bugs is not always a fun task and many players will want to play the alpha version of the game rather than do this.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768083:date=Apr 21 2010, 11:21 AM:name=Drakon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drakon @ Apr 21 2010, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Specifically hunting down bugs is not always a fun task and many players will want to play the alpha version of the game rather than do this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess I am assuming that everyone who will be participating in the alpha understands that bug hunting is the entire purpose.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768090:date=Apr 21 2010, 03:42 PM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Apr 21 2010, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess I am assuming that everyone who will be participating in the alpha understands that bug hunting is the entire purpose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dude thats a nice idea, but I reckon there will be a loud minority who don't.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    With school I can't guarantee I'll have a lot of free time to do bug-hunting. But, I will host a server on the US east coast for anyone involved in this.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768074:date=Apr 20 2010, 10:13 PM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Apr 20 2010, 10:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone who plays the alpha will be the bug hunting "team". What is the point of this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The point is while everyone "understands" they just want to play the game early and probably won't provide viable feedback.

This is an organized group that can report bugs as a group with controls rather than have everyone scattered about doing their own thing.
  • FlyD4wnFlyD4wn Join Date: 2010-04-22 Member: 71484Members
    Im in for this, I love bug huntings..

Just need to wait a few more days for my alienware to return since it died on me :(

Cyas!
  • Mr H-KMr H-K Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70199Members, Reinforced - Gold
    think the vast majority of people who ordered the special edition to get the alpha will be looking for bugs, as the vast majority are veterans. no need to start a glorified group of bug hunters.
    i think you missed the point. An organized group to submit multiple bugs in a single report witch i'm sure any development team would appriciate.

One report containing repeated duplications of multiple bugs vs. fifty single bug reports that are mostly one time glitches. Every game has glitches but most of the time they can't be duplicated. Personally if i get glued to a wall after a jump off a platform i would repeat the move 20 times to give a percentage of what happened and weigh out the instance defining a catagory of engine bug or map bug. (same applies to animation sequences)
    Do you see clearly now of what he is trying to do now?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Mr H-K)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr H-K)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->think the vast majority of people who ordered the special edition to get the alpha will be looking for bugs, as the vast majority are veterans. no need to start a glorified group of bug hunters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    People have different working methods. Some just play the game and report whatever they come across, others might sit in vent, speculate the bugs, try to recreate them in group and so on. For example I find the latter approach far more interesting and meaningful than just playing a bugged game. It's just a personal preference, not necessary anything to do with glorifying.
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    If you need help bug hunting just let me know. I love fooling around in levels trying to figure out stuff.
  • PhasePhase Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23149Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    I personally hate Teamspeak so if you would like to use my vent server feel free. It's a 100 slot vent and if you want to use it for the release just pm me and I'll make you guys a channel and give you admin to that channel.

I don't know how much time I will have for the alpha when it's released but would love to help.

Just toss me a PM on these forums if you want to use it.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768285:date=Apr 22 2010, 07:39 AM:name=Mr H-K)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr H-K @ Apr 22 2010, 07:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->think the vast majority of people who ordered the special edition to get the alpha will be looking for bugs, as the vast majority are veterans. no need to start a glorified group of bug hunters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1768325:date=Apr 22 2010, 02:28 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Apr 22 2010, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People have different working methods. Some just play the game and report whatever they come across, others might sit in vent, speculate the bugs, try to recreate them in group and so on. For example I find the latter approach far more interesting and meaningful than just playing a bugged game. It's just a personal preference, not necessary anything to do with glorifying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And some people DON'T EVEN POST THE BUGS!!!

And having a team of players to specifically hunt bugs, stop gameplay and recreate them, is AWESOME!

Since I'm sure Alpha will pop when I'm less time consumed by school, I'll throw in my name as a helper. Plus, I'm a West Coaster, so yay high ping to you East Coasters and Euro servers!
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768333:date=Apr 22 2010, 03:43 PM:name=Phase)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phase @ Apr 22 2010, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally hate Teamspeak so if you would like to use my vent server feel free. It's a 100 slot vent and if you want to use it for the release just pm me and I'll make you guys a channel and give you admin to that channel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I once did use vent untill they released TS 3, Totally re-writen in "LUA". hows about that. Give it a try, you may just just be surprised it has way more features including avitars and file transfers and is totally modable and skinable.

Best of all the free servers are 512 slot rather than vent's 8 slot freebie.

EDIT:

If anyone wants to jump on my TS3 server to check out the new features connect using my old vent redirect @:

snvent.zapto.org
    Port 9987
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768354:date=Apr 22 2010, 07:40 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Apr 22 2010, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I once did use vent untill they released TS 3, Totally re-writen in "LUA". hows about that. Give it a try, you may just just be surprised it has way more features including avitars and file transfers and is totally modable and skinable.

Best of all the free servers are 512 slot rather than vent's 8 slot freebie.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hm, maybe I should try this magical TS3 you speak of.
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    edited April 2010
    I can host and will help with testing. I currently run PUG servers for NS1 and have a box (quad core and decent amount of ram) waiting to run NS2 dedicated whenever released or i can script or write something to make it pull / listen without running the actual video due to render device error. It's a windows box.

I also have a vent already up dallas13.nationvoice.com port 3826. It's a 35 man mainly for when PUG's or other events are going on. Also current match server is 209.239.120.121 default port NS1, out of St. Louis.
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    im down for this too firewater
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    I'm in. I'll OC my system, so I can get the best, and the worst results :]
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Count me in. I'm a good bug hunter :)