XCOM FPS

AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited April 2010 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">by 2K studios, makers of BioShock</div><a href="http://kotaku.com/5516654/x+com-is-back" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5516654/x+com-is-back</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->X-Com, the classic 90's turn-based strategy game pitting mankind against alien invaders, is set to make a comeback as a first-person shooter, courtesy of the 2K studios behind BioShock 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ugh.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>combining research and planning elements</u> not with overhead, turn-based strategy sections, but with first-person shooter action.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hmm... well, it's a start.

Comments

• PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    edited April 2010
    So basically bioshock 3 with more RPG/RTS elements and set in space?

I like it so far.

Although, why drag xcom into it, if you could just do something new?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766831:date=Apr 14 2010, 07:42 AM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Apr 14 2010, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So basically bioshock 3 with more RPG/RTS elements and set in space?

I like it so far.

Although, why drag xcom into it, if you could just do something new?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, basically. Sounds like it might be a fun game, but it's really not XCOM at all, and I'm not going to look at it like an XCOM game.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    It's basically rape in my mind. I don't want another alien invasion FPS, that's not what Xcom was. They shouldn't have attached to the Xcom name, it's just going to be a disappointment to the real fans.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    And interesting for all those who never played the original but have been flooded with praises from said fans.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767057:date=Apr 15 2010, 08:26 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Apr 15 2010, 08:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And interesting for all those who never played the original but have been flooded with praises from said fans.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ya, I guess that's the market they are aiming for. Just like Bethesda with Fallout. Sure it's a good game, but it's not as good as the original fallout games were.

Putting things in first person real time perspective doesn't immediately make things better.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767008:date=Apr 14 2010, 09:13 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Apr 14 2010, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's basically rape in my mind. I don't want another alien invasion FPS, that's not what Xcom was. They shouldn't have attached to the Xcom name, it's just going to be a disappointment to the real fans.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess so..

but man.. if it would just happen to be the perfect X-COM: Enemy unknown FPS remake.. ! But it's not gonna happen.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    Slapping an old and popular and critically acclaimed brand on a new game/movie = guaranteed sales, even if the new game has little to nothing to do with the IP. Of course it also means more funding, which increases the chance that it might actually turn out good...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I have low hopes.

Then again, I never played XCOM. So... yeah.

In 2K's defense, they had a solid run with Bioshock. Then they gave the IP to some other dev team and they screwed up Bioshock2....
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1767206:date=Apr 16 2010, 01:39 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Apr 16 2010, 01:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have low hopes.

Then again, I never played XCOM. So... yeah.

In 2K's defense, they had a solid run with Bioshock. Then they gave the IP to some other dev team and they screwed up Bioshock2....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even if off-topic, how do mean? Unless you refer to the Bioshock1 ingenious storytwist, but that's hardly fair to compare. It's not like you can pull something equally awesome off again that easily. I found the game varied, fun, interesting weapons/plasmids which rewarded planning and absolutely gorgeous.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767228:date=Apr 15 2010, 08:25 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Apr 15 2010, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even if off-topic, how do mean? Unless you refer to the Bioshock1 ingenious storytwist, but that's hardly fair to compare. It's not like you can pull something equally awesome off again that easily. I found the game varied, fun, interesting weapons/plasmids which rewarded planning and absolutely gorgeous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, 2K is responsible for Bioshock. Many claim it's just a System Shock 2 rip-off and a poorly done one, and thus XCOM will equally stink in terms of a remake.

Frankly I thought Bioshock1 was excellent. It was pretty, had solid gameplay (except for those respawn thingies), and the twists were pretty excellent. Bioshock2.... didn't pan out too great.

So, 2K has a track record of 1 out of 2 in terms of making a good FPS/RPG that steals concepts from a previous work. Then again, what doesn't steal from previous works....
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    This is how I feel!

<a href="http://nerfnow.com/comic/283" target="_blank">http://nerfnow.com/comic/283</a>
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    We might as well admit it, we'd fall for 2K-tan anyway.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    <!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->Man, I've been waiting for an X-Com FPS for YEARS.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
    Semi-related.

Bioshock MMO

<a href="http://kotaku.com/5517592/rumor-bioshock-the-mmo" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5517592/rumor-bioshock-the-mmo</a>

I have no positive experience with games going from classical sp/mp to MMO so while it's still a rumor, I hope it never happens.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1767265:date=Apr 16 2010, 10:48 AM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faskalia @ Apr 16 2010, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is how I feel!

<a href="http://nerfnow.com/comic/283" target="_blank">http://nerfnow.com/comic/283</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In the comments we find..
    <a href="http://kotaku.com/5518361/another-new-x+com-game-and-its-not-a-shooter" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5518361/another-new-x+co...s-not-a-shooter</a>
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2010
    Meh, never played x com, don't know anything about it apart from that everyone seems to love it as much as civilisation and starcraft, two games which I see no value in at all.

2k's pretty good though, they make some good games, should be worth a look.

I hope by 'planning and research' they don't mean that stupid stuff they do at the beginning of ghost recon games because that's crap.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767356:date=Apr 16 2010, 03:51 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 16 2010, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, never played x com, don't know anything about it apart from that everyone seems to love it as much as civilisation and starcraft, two games which I see no value in at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Man you've missed a lot about PC gaming buddy.. ;)

Btw, dunno what's the hype about bioshock, it's no where near being an extraordinary game.
    Mmmm, well, independently the switch to FPS isn't a horrible thing. If I could still have a brilliant strategic game, tonnes of side goals, research, base defense, air combat, procedural map generation, the complete and total sense of global scale... and then the tactical sections were in first person view and allowed me to shoot aliens first hand. That would be AWESOME. I'd have nothing against that at all.

What I'm expecting though, is a moderately decent tube shooter. Worth buying, sure, maybe, why not? But worth putting the Xcom name on? Hell no.
    Hmm, Swiftspear has a point there. Well, two points. There actually is potential for the game to be good. And it probably won't be.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767375:date=Apr 16 2010, 09:33 PM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Apr 16 2010, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man you've missed a lot about PC gaming buddy.. ;)

Btw, dunno what's the hype about bioshock, it's no where near being an extraordinary game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I started on an old amiga, but I stayed with that until I got my first PC around the time of age of empires 2. I know I had heroes of might and magic 2 when it was new out.

Generally though I dislike old games, most of them have glaring flaws which make them unplayable as I've become accustomed to the new, better desgined games.

Only old games I like are ones like zelda link to the past, mario 3 and mario world, sonic I guess isn't bad although I never played it much due to not having a sega. Age of empires 2 is still good and I would probably still enjoy heroes 2. Oh and maybe contra although i've never played that, it seems to have all the elements of a good platformer.

Turn based strategy though is usually annoying, in most cases it's a limitation because you could do it much better in real time, although with things like total war it works well because you need to scale it from one territory to half the world and TBS is a good way of doing that. It also works well in heroes 2 because heroes 2 is just like chess with more interesting pieces.

Starcraft looks like the old cnc games and I never liked those, I only started to like them around red alert 2 and I can't even stand to play that any more. Old RTS games are painfully primitive, in fact most old games are painfully primitive, they are only fun if you don't know better or if the concept has a lot of emergent depth or is constantly engaging, like a platformer.
    Turn based strategies are some of the most fun games I've ever played. I HIGHLY disagree that "in most cases it could be done much better in real time" real time has a PLETHORA of limitations that turn based games get to entirely ignore.

Don't get me wrong, I love real time games too, but TBS is something special.
    edited April 2010
    TBS is useful for two reasons, one if you have a processing limitation, such as in real life where you have to do dice rolls or whatever, and two if you have to scale wildly between amounts of activity over time.

If you have to do very little some of the time and an awful lot other times then you need to be able to control the timeflow in order to prevent the game from being too slow or too fast, you can either do that with variable time controls in RTS, or you can make a TBS which simply involves clicking the commit button when you're done.

If you aren't going to do that then there's very little difference between TBS and RTS and you may as well make an RTS because they lend themselves more easily to graphical appeal.

It's almost universally bad in old games because old games tend to lack the complexity required to necessitate TBS controls.
    You're comparing two genres as if they were one, which they aren't. The acronym APM illustrates this. TBS is about making the right decisions. RTS is a mixture of making the right decisions and fast decisions. In RTS you can have the right strategy, the right build order, the right mix of units, but you can still lose to someone who builds twice as fast as you but makes mistakes, simply because he can overrun you with superior numbers. You might inflict heavy casualties on him with your superior tactics, but once his river of units sweeps you away he'll still have won, and there's no such thing as a pyrrhic victory in gaming.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767660:date=Apr 17 2010, 10:32 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 17 2010, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you aren't going to do that then there's very little difference between TBS and RTS and you may as well make an RTS because they lend themselves more easily to graphical appeal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wut.....

Someone clearly doesn't understand the genres.
    I preferred when Fallout brought itself into real time for the fallout tactics title. In fallout you only ever controlled 1 character, your team mates were automated, so I agree, in a case like that real time would have been better. Turn based really only allowed for exploits. Stuff like running from one cover to another completely unharmed because no other character could shoot at you moving.

But I can think of MANY MANY examples where turn based gameplay makes the game better rather than worse. Most x3 games would be impossible in full real time.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    To point out something about 'cover-exploit' strategies, Swiftspear... In Jagged Alliance 2, they implemented an interrupt system where based on the character's level and reflexes, they had a chance of stopping the current turn in order to do some action, usually with about 3/4 or 1/2 as many action points available during a normal turn, so you could really only shoot or duck or something. It worked pretty well, but was a bit annoying when the enemies got interrupts and blammoed your characters from some hiding place you didn't see, or when you walk around a corner and the enemy has better reactions then you, and your guy gets a chest full of shotgun.

While talking about Jagged Alliance 2 I'll point out that it's squad-based control system worked really, really well and felt basically like an ancestor of X-Com style squad gameplay.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767682:date=Apr 18 2010, 11:00 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Apr 18 2010, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're comparing two genres as if they were one, which they aren't. The acronym APM illustrates this. TBS is about making the right decisions. RTS is a mixture of making the right decisions and fast decisions. In RTS you can have the right strategy, the right build order, the right mix of units, but you can still lose to someone who builds twice as fast as you but makes mistakes, simply because he can overrun you with superior numbers. You might inflict heavy casualties on him with your superior tactics, but once his river of units sweeps you away he'll still have won, and there's no such thing as a pyrrhic victory in gaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

RTS is only about making fast decisions if the interface is badly put together or the game is excessively complex, a good interface and well designed game will not strain the abilities of realtime games.

Hence, if you have an overly complex game, use TBS, if you don't, use RTS.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1767780:date=Apr 19 2010, 03:43 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 19 2010, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RTS is only about making fast decisions if the interface is badly put together or the game is excessively complex, a good interface and well designed game will not strain the abilities of realtime games.

Hence, if you have an overly complex game, use TBS, if you don't, use RTS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh...

I'm going to have to revoke your opinion badge.

RTS games require as much quick thinking and fine control as any other kind of game. Watch a reply of any pro-level RTS game and you'll see what I mean. You obviously haven't played ANY RTS at anywhere near even the mid-level playing tier.

--Scythe--
    Scythe is mah hero!