Shoutout to the musicman!

2»

Comments

• Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    I wish they could get the guy who did Fallout and Torment to throw in some tracks. I love his stuff.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1766954:date=Apr 14 2010, 08:38 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Apr 14 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are "stingers" something like the music that play in Left 4 Dead when a Tank is coming or a Witch is near/startled?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems more like the short riffs(?) that are played when a Hunter/Smoker/Boomer spawn, though many never notice them in the middle of the moody music l4d has otherwise.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1766946:date=Apr 14 2010, 07:15 PM:name=Genomaxter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Genomaxter @ Apr 14 2010, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you mean you will or will not have background ambient type sound tracks/loops? (aka white noise)
    something to be played at low volume?

I guess I'm not understanding what you saying you <i>will</i> be releasing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's happening is that David is creating a regular game sountrack. This will then be be used as the basis from which the elements of dynamic/ambient music that you'll actually hear in-game will be extracted. The idea is that it will be more responsive and less intrusive than a regular soundtrack, but retain a consistency of style. We'll also release the original soundtrack separately for you to buy.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766986:date=Apr 14 2010, 05:19 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Apr 14 2010, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's happening is that David is creating a regular game sountrack. This will then be be used as the basis from which the elements of dynamic/ambient music that you'll actually hear in-game will be extracted. The idea is that it will be more responsive and less intrusive than a regular soundtrack, but retain a consistency of style. We'll also release the original soundtrack separately for you to buy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like you're modeling something like a toned down version of the <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/developer-diary-dead-space/34942" target="_blank">Dead Space soundtrack</a>.

I really liked that soundtrack. So anything that works like it gets my seal of approval.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    As much as I liked the music from NS1, it was really hard hearing the Skulk footsteps when a game started and the music was still playing, so you pretty much had to turn it off. I really hope they try and fit as much music in there where it will not become intrusive, such as the ready room for example or the first 10-15 seconds of a match, before any confrontation.
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    a "stinger" is more like a single short atmospheric and musical sound so , like in doom3 when an imp jumps out from under the stairs, there is a horror metalic screech that acompanies it.

the l4d music is more like a motiff or musical theme for each character,
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Even the ones that are like <5 seconds long?
  • princessprincess Yaaar&#33; Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Great menu music. Interesting to hear the full soundtrack will be sold too :)
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like I said in the getsatisfaction feedback site, the main menu theme makes me think of Diablo when the singer starts coming in alongside the stringed instrument. Despite a genre difference, this is a good thing.

I like the idea that there will be a full NS2 soundtrack, and how clips will be used in the game. It's almost like we're getting an awesome soundtrack "inspired by NS2."

I'll admit I'd rather the stingers be kept short for the most part. Would add a nice touch when a skulk leaps onto your face. However, when an Onos starts barreling through Marine ranks, I'd love to have a more intense theme play for the players on the front lines. Wishful thinking, of course. :)
    Hm... maybe with a bit of file replacement I can get the L4D Tank theme as the Onos stinger...
  • F O XF O X Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70652Members
    Very talented artist!!!

Go to his website! => <a href="http://david-john.com/" target="_blank">http://david-john.com/</a>
  • DJ NiemsDJ Niems Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71518Members
    If you're interested in DnB and David John's music:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109461" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=109461</a>
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    It definitely has a more urgent feel to it. I bet it'd feel right in place as loader music
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope that there will be option to have server music playing while we join, like in half life 1 mods.