Computer specs question

AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
My laptop lags when entering certain areas in some maps, at turret farms and when many people are shooting while playing NS. I can play smoothly enough if I avoid some areas so it hasn't been too much of an issue, but I was wondering if I could play NS2 with what I have.

This is what Windows Performance Index tells me I have.

Processor Intel® Core™2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Graphics Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
Gaming graphics 256 MB Total available graphics memory

and for further details on graphics -
Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
Total available graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
Dedicated system memory 64 MB
Shared system memory 192 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1867
Primary monitor resolution 1024x768
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

If its not possible to play NS2 with these, are there any quick fixes that doesn't involve me getting a new computer? Thanks.

Comments

• BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    think the biggest problem is the intel gfx, they plain suck, like really really bad

then again, the specs quoted a long time ago were pretty low, so you might be lucky

there is no quick fix tho, either your computer runs it or it doesn't, 2 gb might be improved with 3, and u could run winxp to get some more performance, but those don't make much difference tbh
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I'm thinking that with this IGP, you won't even be able to launch the game. Much less run it smoothly. Then again, last time I tried playing a game on a computer with IGP, it was maybe 5 years ago. And Half-Life didn't even run.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1762943:date=Apr 6 2010, 11:24 AM:name=Aeglos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aeglos @ Apr 6 2010, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My laptop lags when entering certain areas in some maps, at turret farms and when many people are shooting while playing NS. I can play smoothly enough if I avoid some areas so it hasn't been too much of an issue, but I was wondering if I could play NS2 with what I have.

This is what Windows Performance Index tells me I have.

Processor Intel® Core™2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz
    Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
    Graphics Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
    Gaming graphics 256 MB Total available graphics memory

and for further details on graphics -
    Graphics
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
    Total available graphics memory 256 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
    Dedicated system memory 64 MB
    Shared system memory 192 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1867
    Primary monitor resolution 1024x768
    DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

If its not possible to play NS2 with these, are there any quick fixes that doesn't involve me getting a new computer? Thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If HL lags for you in any way, I hate to say it, but I doubt NS2 will be bearable for you. It may run related to the min specs, but you're going to be looking at 5-10 fps tops. IF that.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762948:date=Apr 6 2010, 04:54 PM:name=Cyanide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyanide @ Apr 6 2010, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If HL lags for you in any way, I hate to say it, but I doubt NS2 will be bearable for you. It may run related to the min specs, but you're going to be looking at 5-10 fps tops. IF that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    HL works terribly with modern computers anyway, so I doubt it's any kind of indication here. For example my laptop runs HL2 singleplayer more comfortably than some of the overlcrowded NS and Co maps nowadays.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    edited April 2010
    IGPs have been getting a lot better recently. I still don't think it is going to cut it though. I'd say most of your HL/NS issues are related to just bad interactions between the IGP and HL. Assuming fo course it actually does have 256 mb of dedicated vram and not shared with system ram. But yeah, like I said, I don't think it's going to be enough. I'm betting my laptop will have a tough time outputing good performance. And I have a C2D T7700 2.4 ghtz, 256 mb Nvidia 8600m GT. In the future, when another computer is purchased, make sure it has a dedicated video card and not just an integrated one. Though it's nice to have both since if the GPU dies you have a backup plan while you replace it (though it's hard to replace them on laptops)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762960:date=Apr 6 2010, 12:13 PM:name=Karrde)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karrde @ Apr 6 2010, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assuming fo course it actually does have 256 mb of dedicated vram and not shared with system ram.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unlikely.....

Get a dedicated card if you can.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    it dosnt make sense that ns1 would lag for you with those specs... u might need to do some spring cleaning on your laptop and clear out all the junk...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Judging from the integrated graphics it kinda makes sense...
    why anyone who ever has any intention whatsoever of gaming would ever buy a computer with intel gfx is beyond me really
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762979:date=Apr 6 2010, 03:07 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Apr 6 2010, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why anyone who ever has any intention whatsoever of gaming would ever buy a computer with intel gfx is beyond me really<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Noobie mistake, and it came with the motherboard! Money savings!

There's also a reason Intel "owns" over 50% of the graphics chip industry. Most people don't need a dedicated board.
  • Ns_PennyNs_Penny Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71167Members
    I'm so glad i don't have to worry about specs for another year or so. Just got myself a pair of 5970's in crossfire / 6GB 2000Hz RAM / Intel i7 960 3.2 overclocked to 3.8. Crysis STILL chocked it out on full detail is parts though so i hope crysis 2 will run!! NS2 looks more doom 3 era gfx with better lighting effects so i dont think it'll be massively demanding.

Pe@ce.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762983:date=Apr 6 2010, 09:17 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most people don't need a dedicated board.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

huge statement!! .. personally i have never heard of anyone who is playing any sort of newish ( 4 year old game ) without a dedicated graphics card...

they are cheep.. i bought a 8800 gt for 60 bucks a few months ago..
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762998:date=Apr 6 2010, 06:13 PM:name=whocareswc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whocareswc @ Apr 6 2010, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->huge statement!! .. personally i have never heard of anyone who is playing any sort of newish ( 4 year old game ) without a dedicated graphics card...

they are cheep.. i bought a 8800 gt for 60 bucks a few months ago..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, but how many people play any sort of newish game? Very few people are PC gamers.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1763000:date=Apr 6 2010, 06:35 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Apr 6 2010, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, but how many people play any sort of newish game? Very few people are PC gamers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

makes me sad that the section of pc games in my local games store is getting smaller and smaller.

mostly based on the misconception that pc gaming is more expensive... when if you add up the price of any two consoles and a handheld you are about on par with the price of a decent gaming rig.
    <!--quoteo(post=1763003:date=Apr 6 2010, 05:55 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Apr 6 2010, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->makes me sad that the section of pc games in my local games store is getting smaller and smaller.

mostly based on the misconception that pc gaming is more expensive... when if you add up the price of any two consoles and a handheld you are about on par with the price of a decent gaming rig.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. Also, see the following list for yummy misconceptions!
    <ul><li>PC Gamers are elitist snobs</li><li>There's only crappy console ports on PC</li><li>Setting up games on a PC is HARD, whereas a console is EASY</li><li>Building/buying a computer is HARD</li><li>You need all these shiny peripherals for PC Gaming (as if consoles don't???)</li></ul>
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Integrated graphics, man, it's been at least a decade since I've used a PC with that.

"Integrated graphics" pretty much means "I can render your desktop but that's it". You can find laptops these days with dedicated video for around a weeks pay. Unless you don't work, it should be really easy for you to pickup another budget laptop which will run ns2 comfortably.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1763012:date=Apr 6 2010, 06:03 PM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Apr 6 2010, 06:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Integrated graphics, man, it's been at least a decade since I've used a PC with that.

"Integrated graphics" pretty much means "I can render your desktop but that's it". You can find laptops these days with dedicated video for around a weeks pay. Unless you don't work, it should be really easy for you to pickup another budget laptop which will run ns2 comfortably.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, if you make $600 a week you can. Cheapest I found on the Egg was about $600. Realistically this is about the lowest you can go: <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115727" target="_blank">Link</a>.

You could just build a computer for $1000 that can max anything out and use Neweggs no interest no payments for 12 months deal if you were really worried about it.

Edit: <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220701" target="_blank">Better computer better warranty</a>.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Thanks for the help. So this means that I'm looking at a new computer if I want to play NS2 right?

I guessed as much. I do not and did not expect my computer to run any recent games. I was just hoping that I could fix the problem easily. If it was a desktop, I would have just got a graphics card but no such solutions for a laptop I guess.
    no, first u try if it runs :P
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1762985:date=Apr 6 2010, 04:26 PM:name=Ns_Penny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ns_Penny @ Apr 6 2010, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm so glad i don't have to worry about specs for another year or so. Just got myself a pair of 5970's in crossfire / 6GB 2000Hz RAM / Intel i7 960 3.2 overclocked to 3.8. Crysis STILL chocked it out on full detail is parts though so i hope crysis 2 will run!! NS2 looks more doom 3 era gfx with better lighting effects so i dont think it'll be massively demanding.

Pe@ce.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dude, that PC just thinking about it hurts my wallet.

I hope you get good mileage out of your 1300 dollar video card investment alone. Also, you need to clock your i7 more. :)
  • Ns_PennyNs_Penny Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71167Members
    Well im a graphic designer so its an investment to last me the next five years. I dont want to push the proccessor to far 3.8 is enough as its only running on one of those corsair mini-water cooling H50 units not a full water cooling unit. I spent £3200 UK Sterling on the pc and its already out of date as they released the 6 core processor just a few days after:( PCs are always out of date. I was told the the extra radeon was a waste unless im running in 2560x1600 but im gettin over 160 FPS in BC2 with max detail and around 60-80 with just one so its just haters saying its a waste cos the fps proves otherwise.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    Sorry friend, I have the same setup on my laptop - exact same integrated graphics. The Spark Editor won't even open, which probably means you won't be able to play NS2. Even if NS2 did open up for you I can guarantee you that it won't run fast enough for you to be able to actually play the game.

Furthermore, (sorry to be the bearer of bad news) that 945 express graphics chip won't display NS2 correctly since it lacks the necessary shaders, etc.

You'd be best off buying a new computer from Dell that has a PCI Express slot and immediately upgrading the graphics card. (I'm more than happy with my PNY 9800 GT and it only cost me $90.)

Try this: <a href="http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/ltd/en/us/dhs/inspiron_570_dddobd5?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs" target="_blank">http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.a...;l=en&s=dhs</a>

$719 from Dell w/ Free Shipping

Cheers,
    Cody
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    But I wouldn't buy a better computer right now. If your computer is generally suiting your needs for say the next 4 months or so, you'd do better to wait. Here's why.

First off, you're going to want to build your own rig. It requires a little more time on your part, but this is far and away the cheapest way to do it. Buy it as parts and put it together yourself. I've never done it (my current comp is a laptop and I needed gaming and portability), but it's not that hard.

Second, wait, because processors and GPUs will have come down in price. Always better to spend less and get more.

DX11 cards are also coming out now. In a few months, hopefully they work out some of the inevitable kinks. Though personally, I prefer OpenGL :P
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    the only thing that seems out of date is the graphics card, just get one of those. check to see what sort of graphics slot you have. you can get a decent one that should be good enough for ~40 bucks
    <!--quoteo(post=1763126:date=Apr 7 2010, 01:10 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Apr 7 2010, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the only thing that seems out of date is the graphics card, just get one of those. check to see what sort of graphics slot you have. you can get a decent one that should be good enough for ~40 bucks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He has a laptop with integrated memory, he can't upgrade his graphics card.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    oh, I missed that tidbit.

and you can actually buy a new computer capable of running ns2 for around 400 dollars. it won't be fancy, but it'll work.

Newegg has combo deals for motherboards/processors for 160 for both with a quad core amd. (2.5 gHz x4)
    40 bucks for memory, (1 gig)
    40 for a decent video card, (512mb)
    20 for power supply,
    30ish for case,
    20 for dvd burner,
    40 for hard drive (100gig)
    ____
    350 total, then you need a mouse/keyboard/monitor.

120 for monitor (19" widescreen)
    5 for mouse
    5 for keyboard
    ____
    480 for a complete new system capable of running ns2, as well as anything else.
    Aren't there ExpressCard graphic solutions out there? Somewhat of a lame fix, but perhaps sufficient... It was called something like Graphic Station or something, and done by Gigabyte or Asus. Or another taiwanese company.

But then again, ExpressCard is slow as hell (PCI express 1x I believe) so don't expect miracles. Might be cheaper, but it will be horrible price/perf speaking.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm definitely going to be looking into getting a new computer sometime within the next year. Unfortunately, Newegg does not seem to ship overseas. Not that I'm even vaguely familiar with pricing, but those quotes up there do seem cheaper, by a hundred or so, than what I'm expecting even after accounting for exchange differences and possible shipping charges.

Pity about my laptop though. It still runs perfectly fine for everything else I need it to do.
    Where do you live? There are probably much better alternatives to Newegg if you're in Europe.
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    i'll be hopefully running it on the new macbook pro when it comes out :]