New life form idea

xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
<Any ideas for a name of this life form?>

Armored Strider(4 legged unit with thin legs. Maybe similar to a spider)

The role of this life form is to provide support on the front lines during the early game. Relative to NS1, lerks are usually about by 1 or 2 minutes and fades are usually out by 4 or 5 minutes on average.

The passive ability of this life form is a rapid regeneration rate. The regeneration is very similar to the Starcraft 2 Roach, not quick intervals where this life form heals 10 hp every 2 seconds. The regeneration rate only affects the hit points and not the armor points. Although the regeneration rate is high, this life form is relatively fragile. It would need concentrated focus fire to counteract the rapid regeneration to bring this life form down. This life form functions more of as a defensive unit to compliment skulks. No longer players that play the fade be pressured to constantly battle on the front line while lerks gas from afar. This life form is noob friendly as all it really functions as is an early game meat shield. As the game progresses on, shotguns, hmgs(or whatever upgrade is on for the current NS2 build) and gls will have no problem taking down these life form until hive abilities become unlocked. This role does not overlap the fade or the lerk and it provides a quick fix early game since onos are not available right away to function as the rightful role as a full on meatshield, heavy armor counter, and structure destroyer.

Relative to NS1,

Cost : 40 res
HP: 230
AP: 80 (+50 with carapace)
Size:
Movement speed: As quick as a fade with celerity.
Hive 0: Acid Spray. Shortrange but not melee. Travels in a projectile motion. Similar to gorge bile bomb. Does not splash. 50dmg
Hive 1: Exoskeleton Exploit. While mouse1 is being held down. All damage is done to armor. Energy is reduced quickly.
Hive 2: Spike Shotgun. Midrange, slow. shoots 10 spikes at a time like a shotgun. each spike does 10 damage.
Hive 3: Rebirth. Morph into an egg for a short amount of time and come out with full hp, armor, and energy.

These are only ideas. Input your own ideas, change them around, think about alt fires, criticize about how OP or UP or useless they are. etc.

I just think that aliens are in need of a new life form. The learning curve for the fade is steep and players, especially newer players to the franchise should not be limited to the fade as a main combat lifeform.

Comments

• Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    40 res = not noob friendly.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    New lifeform = not developer friendly.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited April 2010
    OP, you are a few days late on April Fools Day.

Acid Spray = Web ideas.

Exo. Exp. = Gorge ability (guess troll creativity meter was broken for you, such a shame).

Spike Shotgun = Lerk suggestions.

Rebirth = ROFL (it will never happen).

Calling it strider (unoriginal name) plus fast natural regen plus fastest movespeed (and cheaper to morph to) in the game = Someone is a late for April 1st.

Believe me, I am the mastah trollah.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    The gorge is an early game support/tank ???
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    not to mention there are no tier 3 abilities anymore.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Again, I stated that the stats are relative to ns1.

The main idea is to have a life form who has a combat role to take early game pressure off the early fades. Fades have a high skill curve and many newer players find it hard to play something different that they have never experienced in their life. The life form can be easily taken down by marines with focus fire.

I don't know what is currently in the ns2 build so I'm posting an idea for a new kind of life form since ns2 is a new game and is in need of something different from the first game such as additional life forms.

So no, I'm serious and I am not trolling.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited April 2010
    The only thing I agree on is that the aliens really need another combat-based lifeform in general, something to take the edge off of Fades.

Looking at NS1, the aliens all work 'most ideally' in the very beginning of the middle-game. You have maybe one fade, a handful of skulks, a lerk or two, a gorge. But Gorges are obviously not a useful unit for anything more than siege-breaking, Onoses are too expensive (and too worthless without piles of upgrades anyway), Skulks drop dramatically in effectiveness the longer the round goes on, and Lerks are just a support unit foremost. The only 'soldier' class the aliens have for the middle-end game are Fades. Part of the reason they had a godly reputation was because they had to do high damage, be quick, and be resilient to gunfire because they had to be designed in a way that allows them to actually SURVIVE to the end-game. Breaking the Fade's role into two later lifeforms ensures an easier transition (and not the 'lol skulks lol skulks OMG FADE WE LOSE') as well as just some goddamn diversity. Team Fortress Demoman vs. Soldier, if you will.
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1762715:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:08 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Apr 4 2010, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, I stated that the stats are relative to ns1.

The main idea is to have a life form who has a combat role to take early game pressure off the early fades. Fades have a high skill curve and many newer players find it hard to play something different that they have never experienced in their life. The life form can be easily taken down by marines with focus fire.

I don't know what is currently in the ns2 build so I'm posting an idea for a new kind of life form since ns2 is a new game and is in need of something different from the first game such as additional life forms.

So no, I'm serious and I am not trolling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I lol'd.

It is not a new life form, it is just the best picks for the classes already in the game from the I&S forum.

The leech idea was pretty good, being a team support guy (ammo person in BF2) by latching onto players and stuff.

What this game lacks, is a Lurker type of class from Starcraft 1.

The game also lacks a Hydralisk type of class.

If you notice, both classes are Ranged Ground, but fairly fragile.

A Roach(SC2) type of class for NS2 could be interesting(which is basically SC2's version of the Lurker, with its underground movement and healing abilities.)

So I propose, a Ranged(but not infinite) Ground Class Kharaa. Allow it to move "underground" through Dynamic Infestation, with a possible attack when "Burrowed".

That is pretty much the only class that can really fit in.

Skulk = Hit & Run/Zergling
    Gorge = Healer/Drone
    Lerk = Air/Mutalisk/Defiler
    Fade = Main Fighter/(No SC equivalent, Blink is kind of like Burrow.)
    Onos = Tank/Ultralisk
    ????? = Ranged Ground Support/Hydralisk/Lurker/Roach(SC2)
  • GingerGiantGingerGiant Join Date: 2010-04-03 Member: 71157Members
    edited April 2010
    Fades kinda look like hydralisks with legs.

I think a well-built map could allow early-game classes to be much more useful in the late game. If things are built right, I think every class could be effective throughout the entire game.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1763165:date=Apr 7 2010, 11:18 PM:name=GingerGiant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GingerGiant @ Apr 7 2010, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades kinda look like hydralisks with legs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Basicly, every alien class is based on StarCraft units.
    Fades are basically the Hydra shape, but with the Stalker's(SC2) Blink ability(I'm expecting NS2 Blink to be like the NS 1.0 version). But only melee combat.

I'd love to see NS take on a Ground Ranged Burrower class, with some support abilities like the Defiler(SC1) or Infestor(SC2) or the Queen(SC1+SC2).

It <b><u>WOULD</u></b> be a completely different playstale of what we have already seen or been playing.

This class would only be possible with Dynamic Infestation, and would be much weaker off it. Think like the Spine Crawlers from SC2, but if they could attack off the Creep... just much slower and weaker.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    yes and lets give the marines goliaths and vultures to add new dimensions, if we rename them i dont think it'll be caught by blizzard!!
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    Fades look nothing like Hydralisks, unless the only feature you care about is the fact that they have claws.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762724:date=Apr 5 2010, 12:12 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Apr 5 2010, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only thing I agree on is that the aliens really need another combat-based lifeform in general, something to take the edge off of Fades.

Looking at NS1, the aliens all work 'most ideally' in the very beginning of the middle-game. You have maybe one fade, a handful of skulks, a lerk or two, a gorge. But Gorges are obviously not a useful unit for anything more than siege-breaking, Onoses are too expensive (and too worthless without piles of upgrades anyway), Skulks drop dramatically in effectiveness the longer the round goes on, and Lerks are just a support unit foremost. The only 'soldier' class the aliens have for the middle-end game are Fades. Part of the reason they had a godly reputation was because they had to do high damage, be quick, and be resilient to gunfire because they had to be designed in a way that allows them to actually SURVIVE to the end-game. Breaking the Fade's role into two later lifeforms ensures an easier transition (and not the 'lol skulks lol skulks OMG FADE WE LOSE') as well as just some goddamn diversity. Team Fortress Demoman vs. Soldier, if you will.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too. Agreed on entertaining the idea of a new alien class, yet I did not like this idea very much. I've always wondered why the idea of a new alien lifeform was never entertained by the devs. Makes perfect sense to at least try an add something.

On one hand the NS1 formula is pretty tight and balanced, while on the other there is a huge skill and team cost barrier between playing skulk and then lerking/fade. Would be nice to spend something like 20 res on something that can last a bit more than a NS1 skulk/lerk yet is not as powerful as a fade. Then again, the new skulk is supposed to be beefier and longer lasting so I'm not going to push for this idea on vanilla. Maybe the tweaking on the current classes will be enough.

These forums go ape ###### over the smallest details being changed so a new lifeform would could all sorts of chaos.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1763208:date=Apr 8 2010, 02:21 AM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Apr 8 2010, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes and lets give the marines goliaths and vultures to add new dimensions, if we rename them i dont think it'll be caught by blizzard!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/a/a3/Exorcist_Assault_Marine.jpg/180px-Exorcist_Assault_Marine.jpg" target="_blank">Oh</a> <a href="http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper" target="_blank">irony.</a>
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1763487:date=Apr 9 2010, 12:23 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Apr 9 2010, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/a/a3/Exorcist_Assault_Marine.jpg/180px-Exorcist_Assault_Marine.jpg" target="_blank">Oh</a> <a href="http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper" target="_blank">irony.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know right. Trust me, and any one that isn't complete gullible or brain dead, most if not all game companies are basically copying eachother.

The base copy are these few to start with(there is more):
    Starcraft 1/Half-Life/Diablo 1+2/Quake/Team Fortress(QWTF LOLZ)/Command & Conquer(original one)/Gran Turismo(all racing games wish they were thi)/Street Fighter/Final Fantasy(for the consoles only)/Pokemon(handheld RPGs, Zelda fits here as well)/Mario(every platforming game known to exist).

I think I got it all.

And I know I am probably missing some(maybe), but you get the idea. Most games fall into one of the categories above.

I still think for an NS2 Expansion Pack, the Kharaa(Aliens) should get a Ranged Ground Class/Lifeform, with Burrow Abilities that make use of Dynamic Infestation.

I want my Lurker/Roach equivalent for NS2. =D