Natural Selection 2 News Update - _____, revealed

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762573:date=Apr 4 2010, 08:40 AM:name=Terranigma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terranigma @ Apr 4 2010, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One point which somewhat confused me in NS1 already: the eyes of the Gorge are outside his head (<i>Well, just where you would expect to find eyes</i>) but when you actually play one and can see the world through <i>its eyes</i> - Why the hell can I see my tongue, teeths and whatsoever. I mean, alright, it's a nice gimmick but well, wouldn't it make more sense to put the eyes at this spot where you expect them (<i>Somwhere in its throat</i>). Aliens suffer from a somewhat weird physique. Eyes are on the outside but you can see the inside of their mouths. Scary.
    ô.ô<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

maybe the eyes are for looking - but the mouth has other sensory organs which are used for navigation and hunthing - you know like snakes detect heat either their tongues..

or its just looks cool and no explaination is needed as it is a computer game :P
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I didn't actually like the idea of a gorge slide when I first heard it, but after watching it I'm all for it. That looked really cool and kind of adds some fast paced action to the gorge, which was traditionally slower.

Very cool.

PS: I hope I didn't just get april fool'ed.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Belly slide has been around and commented about for ages, though right? Anyway, it gives the gorge a movement mechanism which is a huge plus. Hopefully skilled movement will allow gorges to use damage soak less and therefore get more heals per energy on their team-mates.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1762590:date=Apr 3 2010, 05:15 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Apr 3 2010, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Belly slide has been around and commented about for ages, though right? Anyway, it gives the gorge a movement mechanism which is a huge plus. Hopefully skilled movement will allow gorges to use damage soak less and therefore get more heals per energy on their team-mates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It hadn't been confirmed to be in the game before. Now it has.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762573:date=Apr 3 2010, 05:40 PM:name=Terranigma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terranigma @ Apr 3 2010, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One point which somewhat confused me in NS1 already: the eyes of the Gorge are outside his head (<i>Well, just where you would expect to find eyes</i>) but when you actually play one and can see the world through <i>its eyes</i> - Why the hell can I see my tongue, teeths and whatsoever. I mean, alright, it's a nice gimmick but well, wouldn't it make more sense to put the eyes at this spot where you expect them (<i>Somwhere in its throat</i>). Aliens suffer from a somewhat weird physique. Eyes are on the outside but you can see the inside of their mouths. Scary.
    I hate to break it to you but if you want your game to match up with how it works in real life, you're going to have to play a game without space aliens.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762573:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:40 AM:name=Terranigma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terranigma @ Apr 4 2010, 07:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One point which somewhat confused me in NS1 already: the eyes of the Gorge are outside his head (<i>Well, just where you would expect to find eyes</i>) but when you actually play one and can see the world through <i>its eyes</i> - Why the hell can I see my tongue, teeths and whatsoever. I mean, alright, it's a nice gimmick but well, wouldn't it make more sense to put the eyes at this spot where you expect them (<i>Somwhere in its throat</i>). Aliens suffer from a somewhat weird physique. Eyes are on the outside but you can see the inside of their mouths. Scary.

The Skulk, Lerk, and Gorge all have "bite cam" where they see from inside their mouths. From what I've heard, the reason for this is because views down their actual noses are <i>really</i> boring. Also, since it blocks your view for a split second when you bite as a skulk, spamming bite would make it harder to see. I'm not sure if that was intentional or a byproduct or an intentional byproduct, but that's what happens.

TL;DR: The view is from the mouths on certain aliens because it's super boring otherwise.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    It's not just that the bite cam is less boring. It serves to make battles more engaging because you get better feedback about the success/failure of your bites, and its sort of like tunnel vision. You lock your camera onto your enemy as you bite.
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1762573:date=Apr 3 2010, 06:40 PM:name=Terranigma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terranigma @ Apr 3 2010, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens suffer from a somewhat weird physique.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b> Aliens </b> ... weird physique.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Aliens</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    And if the camera realism is what you want, skulk view should turn when it's wallwalking and upsidedown. We all how confusing that is *_*
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    search friday update

"friday update" not found.

exit
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Again, mouth viewport is another gameplay aspect that took over realism, obviously.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    I didn't read the past few pages, but fade's shadow near the end = WOOT.
    Fade reveal soon!
    Also, engine test release in 5 days = Day Off Work!
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    All we need anymore is a Onos with Bellyslide :)
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762642:date=Apr 4 2010, 05:07 PM:name=oma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oma @ Apr 4 2010, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All we need anymore is a Onos with Bellyslide :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And walking off with his tentacles... now that I would pay to see.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    lol, Totally awesome! The speeds of the movements and animations seem just slightly off, but the overall feel is just awesome.
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1762644:date=Apr 4 2010, 10:23 AM:name=Tom Hoen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tom Hoen @ Apr 4 2010, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And walking off with his tentacles... now that I would pay to see.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ..or they could add skill which would allow onos to climb and hang on trees with his tentacles like tarzan :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1762664:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:20 PM:name=oma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oma @ Apr 4 2010, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->..or they could add skill which would allow onos to climb and hang on trees with his tentacles like tarzan :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be more like a wrecking-ball then Tarzan though!
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I actually thought the audio was the best part of the video. Made it for me.

The slappy sounds of his belly on the stairs and the groaning when the part fell on him are the best.
  • Dj_ESideDj_ESide Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35337Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Can't wait to try everything in NS2, The graphics is amazingly breathe taking, sounds are awesome and Unknown Worlds has not let me down yet! Outstanding Job!!
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1762682:date=Apr 4 2010, 04:49 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Apr 4 2010, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually thought the audio was the best part of the video. Made it for me.
    The slappy sounds of his belly on the stairs and the groaning when the part fell on him are the best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, from what we've heard so far, NS2 sound effects really are superb. They surpass big name studios easily.
  • StinkyStinky Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63182Members
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited April 2010
    Yah Know, I'm kinda sad theres no anti-UWE posts in this thread (that I can see)...Its almost like the debates about how stoooopid some anti/flame posts were that made the whole 'post your comments' threads fun.

The best part to I, was the intial few seconds, seamless corridor creep, no stuttering, well done guys, looks a gem!
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762287:date=Apr 2 2010, 02:56 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Apr 2 2010, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OMFG!!!! I cannot stop laughing. The devs definately have an amazing sense of humor. Can't wait to see the fade reveal. It will be epic for sure. They should do it in the style of close up camera angles like the nano suit in that Crysis intro movie.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The sense of humor was a dead give away when you see the pic of them with your cash in hand when you pre-order...lol
    BTW: the price was cheap considering i played (and still do) the hell out of NS1...damn, i still run 3 servers for it!
  • HobsonHobson Join Date: 2010-04-05 Member: 71176Members
    Allow for some sideways movement and jumping while sliding and i can think of some great ways to make gorge races fun and exciting
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    loooooool
    This rocks. More vids like this plz :D
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    my only complaint was that the ns1 gorge is cuter

can't wait for ns_rampsiege007
  • hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Great details.
    And size of skulk is perfect compared with gorge in the wallpaper release.

VERY NICE !
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    That was -
    Adorable
    Hilarious
    A Tease

I loved the fade shadow at the end. Nice work, and thanks for having a great sense of humor, guys.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    edited April 2010
    Double posted. My apologies.