Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Engine Test Status

Comments

• legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    I would expect that eventually most the die hard NS fans will get to test drive the new engine.

At first they will let few people and expand exponentially. No reason to get grumpy over not being one of the first people.

It's inevitable most of the people who read the forums will probably get to test the engine sooner or later =)

<b>Charlie I swear if I don't get one of those invites in my email I DON'T even know.
    </b>

Edited for maximum lol's.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761569:date=Mar 28 2010, 07:16 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Mar 28 2010, 07:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is in the mailist list if you want to see it. Also it is almost month old so if you pre-ordered during that time you wont get the mail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just be glad you haven't been waiting as long as alpha NS1 ;]
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
  • PsYcH0_Ch!cKeNPsYcH0_Ch!cKeN Join Date: 2009-12-11 Member: 69601Members
    There still seems to be a lot of confusion and jumping to conclusions going on here. "Engine Test" does not equate with "Alpha". They're not the same. Really. While it's all still speculation here on everyone's part as to the actual content of each, I would put my money on the <i>Engine Test</i> simply allowing you to walk and/or fly around a level and that's it. It's just to make sure that the engine actually works on everyone's PC's, not to allow people to start playing the game. The <i>Alpha</i>, when it comes, may have one or two weapons (possibly), a player model or two and likely some netcode, much like the old NSTR. The <i>Beta</i> will be 75-90% of the whole game, albeit in a buggy state.

Engine Test -> All pre-orders. Where technology testing is concerned, the wider the test base, the better.
    Alpha -> Special Edition orders only.
    Beta -> All pre-orders.

Special-Editioners will still get our exclusive Alpha, so please calm down. Knee jerk reactions don't make us any less "special".

And while we're on the topic, I'm frankly disgusted at the ballooning number of complaints and <i>demands</i> I've seen on these boards in the last few weeks. It's infinitely clear that those people have never been involved in any sort of software development before, let alone game development or even modding. Game development involves an incredible amount of hard work and the less people you have working on something, the harder it is. Unless you've experienced it for yourself, you truly have no idea. You can set dates with the best of intentions, but Murphy's law is never far away and more often than not, the best of intentions will still go awry. The first engine test email did not specify any dates, yet people have been jumping up and down like spoilt children and raking UWE over the coals, claiming lies, vapourware and incompetence. I'm honestly amazed that UWE continue to provide as much information as they do in the face of it. They're certainly under no obligation to do anything other than to provide what was promised to pre-orderers and we should be grateful that they continue to be as open about their development process as they are. Very few other companies even come close.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    edited March 2010
    Actually, they are beating the <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time" target="_blank">VALVe Time</a>, they used the 2 march the word "Shortly" that means "In six months" for VALVe.

If the engine test comes out the 9 April, it makes a month and a week, neat.

UnknownWorlds is the future giant game industry!
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1761607:date=Mar 29 2010, 04:02 AM:name=PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN @ Mar 29 2010, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And while we're on the topic, I'm frankly disgusted at the ballooning number of complaints and <i>demands</i> I've seen on these boards in the last few weeks. It's infinitely clear that those people have never been involved in any sort of software development before, let alone game development or even modding. Game development involves an incredible amount of hard work and the less people you have working on something, the harder it is. Unless you've experienced it for yourself, you truly have no idea. You can set dates with the best of intentions, but Murphy's law is never far away and more often than not, the best of intentions will still go awry. The first engine test email did not specify any dates, yet people have been jumping up and down like spoilt children and raking UWE over the coals, claiming lies, vapourware and incompetence. I'm honestly amazed that UWE continue to provide as much information as they do in the face of it. They're certainly under no obligation to do anything other than to provide what was promised to pre-orderers and we should be grateful that they continue to be as open about their development process as they are. Very few other companies even come close.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In other words, The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men!
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1761616:date=Mar 29 2010, 01:26 PM:name=Gregzenegair)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gregzenegair @ Mar 29 2010, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, they are beating the <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time" target="_blank">VALVe Time</a>, they used the 2 march the word "Shortly" that means "In six months" for VALVe.

If the engine test comes out the 9 April, it makes a month and a week, neat.

UnknownWorlds is the future giant game industry!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is so true ;) I Luv it! Haha

Engine Test: 04/09/2010 - 06/09/2010
    Alpha release: 06/09/2010 - 09/09/2010
    Beta release: 09/09/2010 - 02/09/2011
    Final: 02/09/2011
  • sloppy_joesloppy_joe Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11527Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761607:date=Mar 29 2010, 05:02 AM:name=PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN @ Mar 29 2010, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There still seems to be a lot of confusion and jumping to conclusions going on here. "Engine Test" does not equate with "Alpha". They're not the same. Really. While it's all still speculation here on everyone's part as to the actual content of each, I would put my money on the <i>Engine Test</i> simply allowing you to walk and/or fly around a level and that's it. It's just to make sure that the engine actually works on everyone's PC's, not to allow people to start playing the game. The <i>Alpha</i>, when it comes, may have one or two weapons (possibly), a player model or two and likely some netcode, much like the old NSTR. The <i>Beta</i> will be 75-90% of the whole game, albeit in a buggy state.

Engine Test -> All pre-orders. Where technology testing is concerned, the wider the test base, the better.
    Alpha -> Special Edition orders only.
    Beta -> All pre-orders.

Special-Editioners will still get our exclusive Alpha, so please calm down. Knee jerk reactions don't make us any less "special".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think your right! The engine test to me means they're working out the bugs with everyone's help, without any network code or some. As far as the public demands most haven't created any parts of a game: maps, models, sounds, code, engine etc and are ignorant of the time and work involved. But that's the internet.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1761676:date=Mar 29 2010, 01:42 PM:name=sloppy_joe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sloppy_joe @ Mar 29 2010, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think your right! The engine test to me means they're working out the bugs with everyone's help, without any network code or some. As far as the public demands most haven't created any parts of a game: maps, models, sounds, code, engine etc and are ignorant of the time and work involved. But that's the internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^that
    It doesn't help to release an exclusive alpha to people if the game somehow doesn't work for half the users right? They wanna make sure the game can at least turn on on a wide variety of machines. Not that I'm an expert, but this engine test will probably help things like hardware/compatibility issues and get them taken care of right away.

First we make sure the engine runs w/out blowing up, then we worry about giving a customer the gas pedal.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's a step in the right direction. I'm just bummed the release date keeps getting pushed back. Last year, they said the release would be "Fall, 2009". Then late last year they changed it to "Shortly after the new year (2010)". Now it's looking like final release will be Q4 2010 or even 1H 2011. How could they manage to underestimate the time by so much?
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1761683:date=Mar 29 2010, 09:17 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Mar 29 2010, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a step in the right direction. I'm just bummed the release date keeps getting pushed back. Last year, they said the release would be "Fall, 2009". Then late last year they changed it to "Shortly after the new year (2010)". Now it's looking like final release will be Q4 2010 or even 1H 2011. How could they manage to underestimate the time by so much?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    by getting an incredible amount of money from pre-orders that has allowed them to include many scrapped things like dynamic infestation and other features

(the amount of money has allowed them to develop further, making the game better because a lot of important aspects remain in the game while otherwise they would have been removed or not put in in the first place
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761683:date=Mar 29 2010, 09:17 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Mar 29 2010, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a step in the right direction. I'm just bummed the release date keeps getting pushed back. Last year, they said the release would be "Fall, 2009". Then late last year they changed it to "Shortly after the new year (2010)". Now it's looking like final release will be Q4 2010 or even 1H 2011. How could they manage to underestimate the time by so much?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because all things are done simply when they are done.

As you make any complex thing, you realise ways to improve bits you've already done, there is always room for improvement and you can either go back and improve the earlier stuff and lose time, or you can settle for your imperfect implementation.

Really I could spend years doing that if you let me, I would imagine most people are the same.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761689:date=Mar 29 2010, 11:44 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Mar 29 2010, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->by getting an incredible amount of money from pre-orders that has allowed them to include many scrapped things like dynamic infestation and other features

(the amount of money has allowed them to develop further, making the game better because a lot of important aspects remain in the game while otherwise they would have been removed or not put in in the first place<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dont lie to yourself, it is very sad. Pre-order money probably did give them an excuse to prolong the game production but in truth they just were not ready. They made chambers concepts!!! <--- !!! last month or so and have yet to reveal everything that is included in the game.

Most likely they were planning on releasing half-assed version on fall 2009 and the alpha would have been actually a engine test or anything similar. However the popularity of pre-orders exceeded estimates by far and that would have been dissappointment for "special" orderers.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1761765:date=Mar 30 2010, 12:25 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Mar 30 2010, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dont lie to yourself, it is very sad. Pre-order money probably did give them an excuse to prolong the game production but in truth they just were not ready. They made chambers concepts!!! <--- !!! last month or so and have yet to reveal everything that is included in the game.

Most likely they were planning on releasing half-assed version on fall 2009 and the alpha would have been actually a engine test or anything similar. However the popularity of pre-orders exceeded estimates by far and that would have been dissappointment for "special" orderers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    trolling is actually much more sad

they <b>revealed</b> the chamber concepts last month

I choose to spend my life being optimistic and actually believing there is good in the people that brought you the game you spend half your life on for free, you choose to spend the other half of your life whining because your every need isn't catered to.

I believe I enjoy my life quite well just the way it is, hopefully all this trolling gives some joy to yours as well
  • centaur2048centaur2048 Join Date: 2009-03-24 Member: 66886Members
    I just started polishing up my Lua so I could hit the ground running :) I plan on building out singleplayer tech for you as much as I can without C++ access.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    The elitist SE pre order customers who are complaining that the engine test will be available to standard pre orders as well just baffles me.

<i>_it is not an alpha, nor a playable version of the game at all_</i>

Us special edition pre-orders will get the first playable version of the game, as always promised. The engine test being available to all pre-orders can only benefit everyone, escpecially the special edition pre-orders as it will minimize time needed to release the alpha.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1761784:date=Mar 30 2010, 05:29 PM:name=centaur2048)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (centaur2048 @ Mar 30 2010, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just started polishing up my Lua so I could hit the ground running :) I plan on building out singleplayer tech for you as much as I can without C++ access.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you. <3

Good news, by the way, the *entire* game is said to be built in Lua. Only the rendering, networking, physics and sound engines are hard-coded.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I can see it coming NS2 RTS only 2vs2 commander matches. SWEEET
  • WunschkindWunschkind Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70658Members
    Whining about non-SE-preorders participating in the engine test only shows that you are immature.

I pre-ordered the SE because I wanted to support the devs. I'd be fine if the alpha would be released to all preorders + all I got was "eternal gratitude". ;)

Anyway: I'm eager to see how the engine performs on my PC (C2D 2,66@3,2Ghz, 6GB RAM, Win7x64, NV 9800GTX XXX, RAID0). It'll show me how much I have to spend when the game gets released! ;-)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited March 2010
    *bark* SE players are crying for nothing because this will benefit everyone, including the "special" orderers *bark*

I read the news a few times but only now did i notice this line:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. In addition to <u><b>helping us smooth out any problems</b></u>,

2. <u><b>anyone that's downloaded the Spark Level Editor can see their creations in game</b></u>,

3. <u><b>and aspiring mod makers can experiment with the included Lua code</b></u>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To summarize... we're all getting the engine AND we can make MINI-MODS in lua (if i read the third line right), AND test custom maps.

The result is going to be intense... Of course this is all limited by how extensive the "included lua code" can be modified. But if this means we can have NS2-mario-cart-edition now, then NS2 has arrived imo :P

(i wonder if this engine test will support multiplayer...)

Edit: i missed this:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the engine test is a runnable version of the engine designed to help us tune the performance, compatibility, and <u><b>networking</b></u> prior to the release of the Natural Selection 2 alpha<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So there is a chance their will be some sort of networking abilities (hopefully not limited to bug-reporting and update-downloading lol)

This is going to be very good for mods, and i'm sure we'll see a noticeable increase in people making/downloading/commenting on custom maps before the "game" actually arrived lol. This <i>is</i> what i thought the alpha was going to be... but this recent change of events implies that the "Alpha" is the "game" itself "NS2"... separate from the engine which i can't believe we're getting in a few days!

Green armor has pwned j00 alpha!!!1 (had to say it xD)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1761874:date=Mar 30 2010, 04:29 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 30 2010, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The result [of Lua modding] is going to be intense...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes. And I am already planning to get my work done so I can be on the forefront of this revolution.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess they never thought that It would that long to develop an Indie Game ^^
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    Hurry up guys! Fall 2009 is almost here! :p
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    edited March 2010
    I can't wait for custom mods like "rotating door mod", "train mod", "flashing light mod" or "water mod"

Yeah this game needs entities !
    I'm so looking forward to the Fade reveal tomorrow.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    dont get ur hopes up.
    <!--quoteo(post=1762067:date=Apr 1 2010, 02:15 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Apr 1 2010, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->dont get ur hopes up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Word. :D
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Good thing that its possible to make NS1 with NS2 engine and graphics too.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    Im also not expecting a Fade reveal, but if today's update is an Aprils fools joke I will punch someone.
  • torisutantorisutan Join Date: 2009-07-13 Member: 68126Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762109:date=Apr 1 2010, 09:02 AM:name=linfosoma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (linfosoma @ Apr 1 2010, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->today's update<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    are they doing an update today instead of tomorrow?