In-Game configurable weapon accuracy

FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
edited March 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
This is a rough idea, but what if you had a hmg and you could configure the weapons bullet spray cone.

So if your in close quarters you would want it like NS1 has it, shooting all over the place like a shotgun... But if the targets are farther off, that you can constrict the weapons spraying cone. This can be done either by making the gun shoot at a slower rate of fire, or keep the high rate of fire and say something like the barrel is being stabilized in that mode.

This idea is inspired by the problem of arming everyone with hmgs in NS1 and suddenly it's harder, for the entire team!, to HIT and KILL 1 alien that is just a little ways off. And yet someone with a lmg can take out the wounded fade and ultra long range. (Perhaps in NS1 the hmg and lmg accuracies should of been switched... i mean the hmgs inaccuracy would of be good for close quarter skulk fighting, and the lmgs accuracy would of been best for the end game).

This can be applied to the shotgun also. It's possible in reallife in a couple of ways, by either changing the ammo or using a tighter choke tube. But it can be, for sake of game-play implementation/simplification, just a button you press to make your gun go from smooth bore to a tight choke. Then we don't need to worry about about different ammo types.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    They've mentioned something about deploying guns before.

Beyond that.... I'm not sure we want to go too far. I know lots of games enjoy doing the whole double-shot with the shotguns to pump out more damage with a larger spread. Another simple system is burst fires versus auto, but that's more about assault rifles and not giant machine guns.

I think it adds a bit too much unneeded complexity in general.
  • Battle-BugBattle-Bug Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70523Members
    To me, it sounds like inaccuracy = accuracy. I don't like the idea of trading accuracy for the possibility of lucky shots. Where is the reward for the skilled players with superb aim (skill)?

If you could adjust it by range, then I wouldn't see the problem with it. If you set it at max spray at 0m and min spray at 30m, then you'd get what you're talking about. If I don't like this idea, I can set it to min spray at 0m and min spray at 30m for best accuracy all around. Covering fire = max spray at 0m and max spray at 30m :)

What if instead, you could choose from three different spray cones. The first was symmetrical (circle) and the other two were ovals. One oval is oriented vertically and the other is oriented horizontally.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Basic tenet of RTS games broken.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    A sniper rifle by any other name is still a sniper rifle.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited March 2010
    I think the point of an arsenal weapons is for each individual weapon to have certain advantages and disadvantages within certain situations. Configuring spray types and accuracy, if EVER implemented, should only apply to the new MG, within a very limited 2-option set. And still, I would disagree with that implementation.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759537:date=Mar 15 2010, 04:56 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 15 2010, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>This is a rough idea, but what if you had a hmg and you could configure the weapons bullet spray cone.

So if your in close quarters you would want it like NS1 has it, shooting all over the place like a shotgun... But if the targets are farther off, that you can constrict the weapons spraying cone. This can be done either by making the gun shoot at a slower rate of fire, or keep the high rate of fire and say something like the barrel is being stabilized in that mode.</i>

<b>This idea is inspired by the problem of arming everyone with hmgs in NS1 and suddenly it's harder, for the entire team!, to HIT and KILL 1 alien that is just a little ways off. And yet someone with a lmg can take out the wounded fade and ultra long range. (Perhaps in NS1 the hmg and lmg accuracies should of been switched... i mean the hmgs inaccuracy would of be good for close quarter skulk fighting, and the lmgs accuracy would of been best for the end game).</b>

<u>This can be applied to the shotgun also. It's possible in reallife in a couple of ways, by either changing the ammo or using a tighter choke tube. But it can be, for sake of game-play implementation/simplification, just a button you press to make your gun go from smooth bore to a tight choke. Then we don't need to worry about about different ammo types.</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<i>YAY REALISM MODE THREAD ACTIVATED... AGAIN.</i>

<b>Are you being paid to troll these forums? I would like a link for the profits.</b>

<u>LOL Z!!!, Slug/Sabot Rounds. You would cry if someone like me had access to those, or a Sniper Rifle. Like really, be more creative. I saw this coming, and I give you 0/10... wait -10/0.</u>

(Your <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Face<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> after being <!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Punched<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> = <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->Green Smiley<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->)
    <!--quoteo(post=1760012:date=Mar 19 2010, 02:03 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Mar 19 2010, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>YAY REALISM MODE THREAD ACTIVATED... AGAIN.</i>

<b>Are you being paid to troll these forums? I would like a link for the profits.</b>

<u>LOL Z!!!, Slug/Sabot Rounds. You would cry if someone like me had access to those, or a Sniper Rifle. Like really, be more creative. I saw this coming, and I give you 0/10... wait -10/0.</u>

(Your <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Face<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> after being <!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Punched<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> = <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->Green Smiley<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think this is the way to go about things right now. We've already refuted FocusedWolf very clearly and he seems to have not done anything to counter our arguments and reinforce his claims.

Ironically, this is probably a better candidate for troll feed than the previous posts in this thread.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    I am having fun with it(that is my defense). =D
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    how about we not even respond to fw threads? they're all stupid.
    <!--quoteo(post=1760742:date=Mar 22 2010, 09:44 PM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Mar 22 2010, 09:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about we not even respond to fw threads? they're all stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was 3 days dead. Enough already.