Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Level Processing

1235»

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759636:date=Mar 16 2010, 02:47 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Mar 16 2010, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO, they made a horrible mistake when they changed how cloak worked.
    If cloaked aliens were 100% invisible, the argument of "if you won't want to be seen, then use cloak." can be used here.

At any rate... isn't it possible to query the settings of the monitor? If so, adjusting in-game brightness (not adjustable by players) could be done based on the contrast and gamma of the monitor which would help keep things "fair"...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can try, but it wont be reliable 100% of the time. There is no real solution, if people want to mess up their screens for advantage they can and will. What can be done is to try to encourage people to NOT do that by keeping the dynamic range quite high. Nobody wants half of their screen clipped so they can make out hidden characters a little better. Something like this, a disincentive, should remind people that they are ruining their experience in some way.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759627:date=Mar 16 2010, 06:42 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 16 2010, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how you come to that conclusion. There is no bounce solution right now, everything emanates from a point spherically based on radius or from a point in a cone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But its cones look damn sexy
    <!--quoteo(post=1759635:date=Mar 16 2010, 07:45 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Mar 16 2010, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More fiction. View models are covered by mp_consistency.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I spent the entire portion of my NS career playing with BrigadierWolf's <a href="http://sleekupload.com/uploads/render_28.png" target="_blank">custom weapon replacements</a>. If they rolled out a patch long after NS became completely irrelevant to the average gamer, it was long after damage was done.

EDIT: Actually I recall the specific lack of a whitelist was the exact reason mp_consistency was rarely used. Maybe you don't recall these forums being chock-full of high-poly high-res and high-fidelity replacements for everything from phase gates to lork sounds, but most people saw, ironically in the context of this thread, the negatives of cheating d-bags being outweighed by the benefits of a more customizable experience.

So there you go. mp_consistency is always on, but make a whitelist of approved reskins, sounds, and model replacements. The best of both worlds, unless suddenly your invisible skulk jaws become not-invisible.

The same thing happened with blockscripts. Breaking everyone's badass vox menus and ###### outweighed turning off 3jump.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--quoteo(post=1759643:date=Mar 16 2010, 04:47 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Mar 16 2010, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: Actually I recall the specific lack of a whitelist was the exact reason mp_consistency was rarely used. Maybe you don't recall these forums being chock-full of high-poly high-res and high-fidelity replacements for everything from phase gates to lork sounds, but most people saw, ironically in the context of this thread, the negatives of cheating d-bags being outweighed by the benefits of a more customizable experience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Competitive play used mp_consistency 1. I assumed you were referring to competitive players with your "pr0" denigration, but perhaps I was wrong.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759644:date=Mar 16 2010, 09:16 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Mar 16 2010, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Competitive play used mp_consistency 1. I assumed you were referring to competitive players with your "pr0" denigration, but perhaps I was wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he's referring to ragey people that were in the vets program, most of those just made clans to get the icon. Granted there were some real ones though.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759627:date=Mar 16 2010, 10:42 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 16 2010, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how you come to that conclusion. There is no bounce solution right now, everything emanates from a point spherically based on radius or from a point in a cone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, you got me on a technicality. This engine produces better <i>shadowing.</i> Correctly shadowing a model (versus a brush) in goldsrc was a hack. The light value of a model used to be based on whatever the center point light value was. Hence if the butt of a skulk was in the dark and the nose was in the light it didn't matter: the whole model was lit according to where the belly was. I guess I haven't fooled around with it enough yet, but I'm sure I had my green marines torso in the shadow of a crate the other day, while the top half was lit properly but I could have been seeing things. I'm at work right now so I can't confirm this is the case. :(
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759589:date=Mar 16 2010, 08:09 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Mar 16 2010, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759589"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now correct me if I'm wrong, but what you want (and this is based on the NS1 gamer base) is that a marine should be able to make out nearly instantly a skulk, wherever his placement. What you believe the more casual players want is Doom 3 lighting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What I would want is to be able to make a skulk out in every position of the map without the aid of a flashlight, with the possible exception of the Hive room. Doom 3 lighting is excessive in every regard, much like how "well lit" has been exaggerated in this thread. I'd rather have skulks ambush marines due to the models / architecture on the map and not the lighting. I get the sense people who want a dark and shadowy environment want that so aliens can use the shadows for cover. I'm against this. Why? Because lighting is easily changed, whether or not it's an option in NS2's setting menus or not. I want a level playing field and relying on lighting for gameplay reasons isn't a good idea.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's insulting to insinuate that people who like to keep their game atmospheric are casual or newcomers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To insult you was not my intention. I said "If someone wants a dark and shadow filled game but still rages every time they die (Temphage) then they need to play on more casual servers or not take the game so seriously." If you rage because you died and are blaming it on the fact that the other player's screen is brighter then you need, for your own sanity, to play on a more casual server or a server for newcomers as it's likely they will be using default or darker than average settings. If you don't go into a rage and just wait to respawn then it doesn't really matter where you play. Just because a player wants to play with darker settings doesn't mean they're less skilled. I suggested moving to a less competitive environment because the person I was talking to clearly doesn't want to play with those who have a higher brightness and not for any other reason
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759643:date=Mar 16 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Mar 16 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I spent the entire portion of my NS career playing with BrigadierWolf's <a href="http://sleekupload.com/uploads/render_28.png" target="_blank">custom weapon replacements</a>. If they rolled out a patch long after NS became completely irrelevant to the average gamer, it was long after damage was done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I light of this statement, you are didn't play on competitive servers, because where ever you where playing didn't have mp_consistancy on... if your that concerned, you should have played on a server that had all this stuff set up so you didn't have to worry.

maintaining a whitelist would be extremely time consuming, and very arbitrary, what if some one wants a smaller gun model because they like the way it looks... where do you draw that line? You can't do so in a way that makes every one happy... the best solution is to play the game they way it was intended, just like you are saying all the time.... You can't say the customization you want is "legit" and at the same time say the customization SentrySteve wants is bad, at least you can't do it with out having to draw very arbitrary lines in the sand.

The main point SentrySteve is trying to make is this:

Gamma is impossible to control, a determined player can make changes to his system outside the NS2 framework that affect gamma. So instead of trying to control it, make the adjustment accessible for players who want it higher, or lower without having to resort to ridiculous measures. Gamma varies a lot from display to display, and lighting conditions, I adjust the brightness of my display 3 or 4 times a day.

here is an allegory for you: Adjusting mouse settings, like acceleration and sensitivity, confers an advantage! If player X spends hours changing his mouse sensitivity perfecting it, he may have better aim then other wise. Mouse settings should be locked to prevent this unfair advantage.

^^sounds terrible, its a little extreme, but it is in fact very similar.

<!--quoteo(post=1759643:date=Mar 16 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Mar 16 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The same thing happened with blockscripts. Breaking everyone's badass vox menus and ###### outweighed turning off 3jump.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

PS: Blockscript only blocks input commands... (though maybe it used to be worse and block everything?)

PPS: You seem to be confusing general jack-asses with serious competitive players. There is some overlap there sure, but all the things you complain about are really feasible in a competitive setting with the appropriate server plugins. You make yourself really bad by slinging mud on the competitive community based on the actions of people who are <b>NOT even in the group you are lampooning!</b> Players with custom models, black walls etc are not competitive players because those sorts of things are easily detected... Those people are just cheating jerks. You can legitimately complain about scripting and gamma tweaks, ui tweaks etc, because many competitive player use them. If you don't like them fair enough.

Try not to make yourself sound really ignorant. As it stands you just sound really prejudiced, uninformed, and paranoid. Internet Redneck style....
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759535:date=Mar 16 2010, 01:49 AM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Mar 16 2010, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No hate for them, I have hate for people who do a lousy job and needlessly give us a hard time. If you have a wide screen, you should get more horizontal area at the cost of vertical area. If you have a 4:3 you should get more vertical area at the cost of some width coverage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A wider monitor should have a wider view because that's what's expected from a wider monitor. What you are describing is a zoom.

The SC2 GIF you're linking to looks to me like they based the design on what it would look like on a 4:3 monitor and then adjusted the view according to other monitors, which is not only perfectly fine but probably also the best way to do it.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    The higher your FOV setting the further away things in the distance are.
    The Wider your screen the closer they are so you need a higher FOV else you will feel you are running very slowly.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759681:date=Mar 17 2010, 07:51 PM:name=lwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lwf @ Mar 17 2010, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A wider monitor should have a wider view because that's what's expected from a wider monitor. What you are describing is a zoom.

The SC2 GIF you're linking to looks to me like they based the design on what it would look like on a 4:3 monitor and then adjusted the view according to other monitors, which is not only perfectly fine but probably also the best way to do it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm pretty sure there is some vertical loss with a widescreen setup, but it's marginal.
  • Billy_BlazeBilly_Blaze Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759546:date=Mar 15 2010, 11:51 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Mar 15 2010, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Troll mode, <b>engage!</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Come now, don't you see how calling everyone who ever wore a clan-tag an ***hole and then beginning your next sentence with "Don't be offended" is slightly contradictory? If a thread gets you wound up, go take a nice walk. Get some air. Light a cigarette if that's your thing; posting bile filled offensive posts serves you as poorly as it does everyone else on the board. If you actually want to contribute to a thread, keep a nice tone. If you want to troll, go comment on youtube videos or something. Your message isn't stupid, so try not to ruin it by ranting like an angry child.

<!--quoteo(post=1759293:date=Mar 13 2010, 08:48 PM:name=JazzX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JazzX @ Mar 13 2010, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->She sells coherent hierarchical culling algorithms by the sea shore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Made me chuckle - thanks!

As for the video itself, I'm really pleased to see UWE staying true to their word (but then when did they not) and catering to consumers with low-end PCs as well - not to mention that the tech of it seems fairly brilliant. I love to see the way you guys have gone about everything, from NS1 through the process of becoming an indie game developer to this video specifically. <b>Love.</b> Keep up the excellent work guys!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759688:date=Mar 17 2010, 01:54 PM:name=Billy_Blaze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Billy_Blaze @ Mar 17 2010, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love to see the way you guys have gone about everything, from NS1 through the process of becoming an indie game developer to this video specifically. <b>Love.</b> Keep up the excellent work guys!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was just thinking the same thing the other day, it would be very neat if you guys made "the making of" video, where you kinda show how the game came about from concept to final product, share stories about how UWE started and how you found eachother.
    maybe release it only for SE edition? anyway I for one would love to see this happen.
  • Billy_BlazeBilly_Blaze Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759689:date=Mar 17 2010, 08:42 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Mar 17 2010, 08:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was just thinking the same thing the other day, it would be very neat if you guys made "the making of" video, where you kinda show how the game came about from concept to final product, share stories about how UWE started and how you found eachother.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's a great idea and second it very much - maybe save it for when the game has been released, though, and make it a bit more of a polished product? The story and process is certainly inspiring enough to warrant it to me!
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759689:date=Mar 17 2010, 11:42 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Mar 17 2010, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe release it only for SE edition?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ha ha ha ha *cough* ha ha ha that's a stupid idea. The video would be put on YouTube before anyone could even watch it.

Also, while this could be an interesting video, putting ANY thought into it until WELL after NS2's release is a waste of UWE's time, considering the fact that, oh, they have a GAME to launch.

Think before you just spout ideas.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759643:date=Mar 16 2010, 04:47 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Mar 16 2010, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I spent the entire portion of my NS career playing with BrigadierWolf's <a href="http://sleekupload.com/uploads/render_28.png" target="_blank">custom weapon replacements</a>. If they rolled out a patch long after NS became completely irrelevant to the average gamer, it was long after damage was done.

EDIT: Actually I recall the specific lack of a whitelist was the exact reason mp_consistency was rarely used. Maybe you don't recall these forums being chock-full of high-poly high-res and high-fidelity replacements for everything from phase gates to lork sounds, but most people saw, ironically in the context of this thread, the negatives of cheating d-bags being outweighed by the benefits of a more customizable experience.

So there you go. mp_consistency is always on, but make a whitelist of approved reskins, sounds, and model replacements. The best of both worlds, unless suddenly your invisible skulk jaws become not-invisible.

The same thing happened with blockscripts. Breaking everyone's badass vox menus and ###### outweighed turning off 3jump.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ya i've only encountered 1 server that forced player models and stuff (and it's a bot server)... before that i believed that being able to replace all models was normal. Ive got my own collection of custom weapons, player models, props made from various sources that i've used most of my time playing ns.

If NS2 started being 100% consistent in every server, i'd say that would suck hardcore.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759716:date=Mar 17 2010, 09:01 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Mar 17 2010, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ha ha ha ha *cough* ha ha ha that's a stupid idea. The video would be put on YouTube before anyone could even watch it.

Also, while this could be an interesting video, putting ANY thought into it until WELL after NS2's release is a waste of UWE's time, considering the fact that, oh, they have a GAME to launch.

Think before you just spout ideas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

quoting myself "show how the game came about from concept to final product" in other words when the game is done hence "<b>final product</b>"

think before you post or ohh should I say be smart @$$
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759681:date=Mar 17 2010, 05:51 AM:name=lwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lwf @ Mar 17 2010, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A wider monitor should have a wider view because that's what's expected from a wider monitor. What you are describing is a zoom.

The SC2 GIF you're linking to looks to me like they based the design on what it would look like on a 4:3 monitor and then adjusted the view according to other monitors, which is not only perfectly fine but probably also the best way to do it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not zoom. Most games have just too narrow FOV anyway so I am saying its unfair that you need a "wide screen" to be able to play games at a reasonable FOV anymore. I say that a 4:3 screen should have the same large fov as the widescreens (or very close to it) with the acknowledgment that by doing so you lose a lot of horizontal resolution and you deal with the inverse fish-eye problem. With the widescreen you would have the same or perhaps slightly greater FOV allowing for greater horizontal resolution and coverage at the expense of a little of the vertical coverage.
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1759721:date=Mar 17 2010, 09:50 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 17 2010, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ya i've only encountered 1 server that forced player models and stuff (and it's a bot server)... before that i believed that being able to replace all models was normal. Ive got my own collection of custom weapons, player models, props made from various sources that i've used most of my time playing ns.

If NS2 started being 100% consistent in every server, i'd say that would suck hardcore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope everyone use same models and weapons since it means one thing: balanced. It is no sense to have different models and colors since it can be an advantage.
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2009/3/occlusion_culling" target="_blank">Click.</a> March 5, 2009.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760233:date=Mar 20 2010, 02:13 PM:name=zh`)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zh` @ Mar 20 2010, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2009/3/occlusion_culling" target="_blank">Click.</a> March 5, 2009.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OMG ITS A REMAKE OF A PREVIOUS PODCAST!

If they do a skulk reveal soon then, we'll know something fishy is going on!
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760423:date=Mar 21 2010, 02:37 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Mar 21 2010, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OMG ITS A REMAKE OF A PREVIOUS PODCAST!

If they do a skulk reveal soon then, we'll know something fishy is going on!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Owned, friend said something like that too now I know why lulz :)
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Previous podcast told you how it worked. This update showed you in real-time, how the engine works and how it is going to ease performance on your computer. You also got to have a look at art assets in-engine. It was a lot more informative from a players stand point, will also help some people when creating their own Spark levels knowing they can add a little bit more.