Steam Sale Monday->Friday

NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
Monday was Hitman games for 66% off, today is Battlestations Midway. Something I've never heard of but sounds interesting. Who knows what wed->friday will bring?

Comments

• DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    Yesterday was also Deus Ex for $5, but I'm sure everyone has that by now.

Sort of a tangent to the thread, but what is this RUSE open beta Steam is pimping? Is it worth the bandwidth to download and check out?
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    I tried the Order of War demo back when it first came out and thought the gameplay was good. Felt a lot Ground Controly. But it's a WW2 game and it's still 19 € with the discount, so I think I'll still pass.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758440:date=Mar 9 2010, 06:38 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Mar 9 2010, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sort of a tangent to the thread, but what is this RUSE open beta Steam is pimping? Is it worth the bandwidth to download and check out?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

RUSE = sorta like board-game strategy (except real-time). Except you can bluff your opponents using special powers. Haven't tried, but it sounded interesting.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758446:date=Mar 9 2010, 07:59 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Mar 9 2010, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RUSE = sorta like board-game strategy (except real-time). Except you can bluff your opponents using special powers. Haven't tried, but it sounded interesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've tried it.

A bit different from a normal RTS... it definitely feels a lot less micromanag-y somehow, to the extent that it's difficult for me to know what to do with my units sometimes. It is a very interesting concept though... I don't think it's worth $50 but I rarely think that of games these days. If you're a WW2 fan and an RTS fan, pick it up if it goes on sale.

The gameplay kind of feels like a mix of Diplomacy (Board Game) and Supreme Commander (Total Annihilation)
    edited March 2010
    Tomb Raider and the Last Remnant on sale today. The Last Remnant was a fun game, basically a Final Fantasy game with another name. But FFXIII just came out so if you feel like a flashy JRPG, that's where you'll be going =p

re: my earlier derail, the Ruse beta is pretty fun vs. the easy AI, though I know I'd be toast vs. a real person. RTS games are haaard... all I can think to do is churn out 100000 tanks and hope the enemy walks into them. I like how it tracks your actions per minute. Pro RTS players have like 100+ APM. Mine? 5.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758718:date=Mar 10 2010, 08:32 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Mar 10 2010, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pro RTS players have like 100+ APM. Mine? 5.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait, I have higher APM than someone??? SCORE!!!

I blame twitch shooters and micro-ing in DotA.
    half price on Batman and Just Cause today. Just Cause sounds interesting, got mixed reviews, I might cave and buy it. Batman: AA however, is a must-have, imo.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    It's weird.

If you buy Batman: AA it costs $24.

If you get the bundle with Batman: AA and Just Cause it costs <i>$22</i>

They are basically giving away Just Cause. Why? I am... confused.

I am definitely getting Batman and apparently Just Cause as well because I save $2 that way? Okay.. By the way, check out the Just Cause Trailer...

HE RUNS ON A FIGHTER JET. I mean, while it's flying. He's just running on it. How? Also he surfs cars <i>through the air.</i>
    edited March 2010
    haha, I didn't even notice that, so basically they GIVE you 3 bucks to take Just Cause. Too bad I have Batman already. They're probably trying to get people to play Just Cause so they get psyched for the sequel which is about to come out
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758718:date=Mar 10 2010, 09:32 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Mar 10 2010, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tomb Raider and the Last Remnant on sale today. The Last Remnant was a fun game, basically a Final Fantasy game with another name. But FFXIII just came out so if you feel like a flashy JRPG, that's where you'll be going =p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->The one thing about Last Remnant is that you'll probably want to look up some of the mechanics online before you really start playing it, because very little about them are explained in the game. It's handy because the enemies scale based on...something I can't remember...and you want to make sure you don't accidentally grind the wrong way (it makes more sense if you have played the game) and make some of the bosses too hard. Though the PC version added some nice things to the console version.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759027:date=Mar 12 2010, 01:19 PM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Mar 12 2010, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's APM ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Action(s) per minute
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    Todays bundle is pretty nice, essentially making Just Cause free if you want to get Arkham Asylum :D
    Argh... such a good deal, but I STILL DON'T HAVE TIME TO PLAY THEM!!!!!!

Must... fight... deal-whoring.... asian side.....
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759081:date=Mar 12 2010, 03:15 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Mar 12 2010, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Argh... such a good deal, but I STILL DON'T HAVE TIME TO PLAY THEM!!!!!!

Must... fight... deal-whoring.... asian side.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can not fight it. Give in to the dark side.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Damnit... I have Batman already. :/
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759165:date=Mar 13 2010, 12:06 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Mar 13 2010, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damnit... I have Batman already. :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I kind of wonder who doesn't. People whose system can't run it perhaps. It's a stellar game even if you don't give a ###### about Batman. Perhaps especially so, I hear that some of the fans were disgruntled about Bane's treatment.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited March 2010
    Bought!

Now, I need to finish off ArmA, ArmA2, World of Goo, Assassin's Creed, Psychonauts, Deus Ex 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age (again), Burnout Paradise, Dead Space, GTA4, Mirror's Edge, Mount and Blade, PoP2, PoP3, Red Faction: Guerrilla and DoW2.

Oh, and WoW. Gotta finish that.

--Scythe--
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759175:date=Mar 13 2010, 12:58 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Mar 13 2010, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kind of wonder who doesn't. People whose system can't run it perhaps. It's a stellar game even if you don't give a ###### about Batman. Perhaps especially so, I hear that some of the fans were disgruntled about Bane's treatment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't see why, Bane's treatment seems fine, really. Except venom maybe, since he's supposedly been off it since his second appearance (ish).
    <!--quoteo(post=1759176:date=Mar 13 2010, 07:02 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Mar 13 2010, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bought!

Now, I need to finish off ArmA, ArmA2, World of Goo, Assassin's Creed, Psychonauts, Deus Ex 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age (again), Burnout Paradise, Dead Space, GTA4, Mirror's Edge, Mount and Blade, PoP2, PoP3, Red Faction: Guerrilla and DoW2.

Oh, and WoW. Gotta finish that.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to the "so many awesome games, so little time to play them" club! At least I've already gotten through Goo. It was awesome. And luckily I'm not a completion ######, so that cut down the time required by huge amounts.

I've found that due to my lack of time I'm suddenly way more careful about my game purchases since I know I can't play every bargain game out there. And thus, I only buy games that are highly recommended to be worthwhile. Weird. Just two years ago I was playing through nearly a game a weak and dove into some serious wtf games that I played for the heck of it (Far Cry 2... blegh). Then again, it was also during that time I replayed Deus Ex and found a copy of Giants Citizen Kabuto, both of which are awesome.
    the cruel irony of life is that when you're young, you have too much free time and not enough money to buy all the good games. then when you grow up, you have enough money and not enough time to play all the good games =/
    <!--quoteo(post=1759277:date=Mar 13 2010, 06:47 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Mar 13 2010, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the cruel irony of life is that when you're young, you have too much free time and not enough money to buy all the good games. then when you grow up, you have enough money and not enough time to play all the good games =/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, as a kid, I never could get to the point where you get the pistol in HL1, nor beat the training mission for Deus Ex.

As an adult, I breezed those parts easily. And I appreciate them way more.

Guess my logic powers weren't all there as a kid...
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    To be fair, the training mission for Deus Ex was a pain in the ass, at least, the 'stealth' part was. And I blew myself up with a LAM at least once. And the first time, I blew off my legs in the last area.