NS2 price on Steam

2»

Comments

• ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758605:date=Mar 11 2010, 04:26 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 11 2010, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The income rate in the UK is twice what it is in the US.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol what?

<!--quoteo(post=1758617:date=Mar 11 2010, 05:11 AM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Mar 11 2010, 05:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why should you pay more total taxes when you make more money just because you make more money? Its part of the deal, they can do it and you can deal with it. If you want to pay less, move to india and have at it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Walk down to your local games retailer only for them to base the price of the game on how much you earn. Lower class folk driving BMW's around because they are cheaper for low income earners.

Europeans get screwed harder than Australians. It has already been covered on how to get around the stupid regional pricing. I know plenty of people on forums that use the trick regularly and no one has said anything about getting banned
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    That's quite a strange setup I must admit. As an Australian I've always been delighted with Steam because it lets me get games so much cheaper; for around US$55 I can get a new-release game that would cost me between AU$90-$100 retail. The only exception to this was the Borderlands fiasco, but that's another story.

You can always get a friend in the US (or for that matter, Australia) to buy the game for you and gift it to you, then just wire them the money. That's how most Aussies, including myself, got around the ludicrous censored version of L4D2.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758605:date=Mar 10 2010, 07:26 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 10 2010, 07:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it unjust? The income rate in the UK is twice what it is in the US. (If someone is making 10 USD an hour, the same job in the UK makes 10 GBP an hour)

It's like saying it's unjust that mcdonalds charges 5 pounds for a cheeseburger meal in the UK when they only charge 5 dollars for the same thing in the USA.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So what makes you an expert on how the world economy works?

But let's just for a second say you are right, how will you explain that all other online distributors and retail shops sell the games a lot cheaper than steam?
  • DadayaDadaya Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39540Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1758698:date=Mar 10 2010, 08:02 PM:name=Aezay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aezay @ Mar 10 2010, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But let's just for a second say you are right, how will you explain that all other online distributors and retail shops sell the games a lot cheaper than steam?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Err, competition? While I can't honestly say I understand why the two prices are equivalent (even though the GBP seems to be working as intended...) I can pretty safely assume that enough people are buying these games at the 1 = 1 price, steam is in it to make money after all. It sort of feels like a 37% "convenience tax". If other companies offer an accurate conversion, then they are the competitors offering a product at a cheaper price, that's really all there is to it.

It really should follow market trends for currency conversions, it is just silly otherwise.

Anyone else get the feeling this is just a huge screw-up and Steam just doesn't want to say "oops." Do you think they'd feel like if they changed it now they'd have a ton of retro-pay to dole out?
  • 3ncode3ncode Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758605:date=Mar 10 2010, 06:26 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 10 2010, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it unjust? The income rate in the UK is twice what it is in the US. (If someone is making 10 USD an hour, the same job in the UK makes 10 GBP an hour)

It's like saying it's unjust that mcdonalds charges 5 pounds for a cheeseburger meal in the UK when they only charge 5 dollars for the same thing in the USA.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I fear you may have missed the post that stated .. 1€ ≠ 1$ .. I would have assumed that with your amazing understanding of the British economy you would know that the UK doesn't use the €... Or maybe your just talking utter nonsense? Ah yes that's it!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758881:date=Mar 11 2010, 03:43 PM:name=3ncode)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3ncode @ Mar 11 2010, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I fear you may have missed the post that stated .. 1€ ≠ 1$ .. I would have assumed that with your amazing understanding of the British economy you would know that the UK doesn't use the €... Or maybe your just talking utter nonsense? Ah yes that's it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What an offensive little post you got there. Yes, I know that the euro is not used in the UK. That's why I said "pounds" and "GBP" in mine. I'm not sure what your point is other than to flame. I have lived and worked in both the US and the UK, and have first hand experience of the income rates in both and the cost of living. There is a reason I prefer to work for UK clients than US clients. I can bump up the price while the client still feels they are getting a deal.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758884:date=Mar 11 2010, 11:53 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 11 2010, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What an offensive little post you got there. Yes, I know that the euro is not used in the UK. That's why I said "pounds" and "GBP" in mine. I'm not sure what your point is other than to flame. I have lived and worked in both the US and the UK, and have first hand experience of the income rates in both and the cost of living. There is a reason I prefer to work for UK clients than US clients. I can bump up the price while the client still feels they are getting a deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem is that the discussion is not about GBP vs USD. My post was offensive because you are stating totally random arguments unrelated to the actual topic to vent some seemingly pent up aggression about the current state of the US economy. That is my point, the flame was simply meant to get your otherwise tunnelled attention ;).
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Again with the flame. I don't think you understood my point if you think my attention is tunneled. My point of GBP vs USD translates to EUR vs USD. The same concepts apply. Game Cost / Cost of Living should stay constant regardless of where you live.
    The only reason I am citing GBP vs USD examples is because this is where my experience lies.... So, unless you think this debate only applies to EUR vs USD, and not selling a product in the global marketplace in general, I don't see what the issue is.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758893:date=Mar 12 2010, 01:19 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 12 2010, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again with the flame. I don't think you understood my point if you think my attention is tunneled. My point of GBP vs USD translates to EUR vs USD. The same concepts apply. Game Cost / Cost of Living should stay constant regardless of where you live.
    The only reason I am citing GBP vs USD examples is because this is where my experience lies.... So, unless you think this debate only applies to EUR vs USD, and not selling a product in the global marketplace in general, I don't see what the issue is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Flame... ?

Fair point although I still think it is utterly flawed. Still, I'm done bothering.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758893:date=Mar 12 2010, 02:19 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 12 2010, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Game Cost / Cost of Living should stay constant regardless of where you live.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm no expert on economy, but it doesn't take a an expert to see that is a flawed reasoning.

For various services and goods, it makes perfect sense they might be more expensive in Europe than the US. Games on the other hand needs to compete on a global scale, you cannot have different prices depending on what region they are sold in. And if they did have different prices, it would be that games produced in the US are "cheap" and games produced in Europe would be "normal", seen from a European viewpoint. Whereas from an American viewpoint it would be US games that are "normal" and European games that would be "expensive".

We live in a globalised world now, when it comes to buying bits, you do not want to pay more than what others can get it for, that only leads to piracy.
  • KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    i could buy a house in USA with a week wages in the UK:S

probably not ^^

but everything over there seems like half the price as here. but damn your funny power plugs

anyways is it not to do with other overheads like taxes in the country or the cost of getting it rated in the UK or something

cost of localisation might be a factor too but ofc wont affect US->UK although you spell things wrong:P

LASER not LAZER as LASER is an acronym "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation" amongst others

maybe you heard einstein say Stimulated like Ztimulated.

ok that was on/off topic a bit. meh.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758960:date=Mar 12 2010, 04:47 AM:name=KhazModan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KhazModan @ Mar 12 2010, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LASER not LAZER as LASER is an acronym "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation" amongst others<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do realize we use the word lazor completely ironically, right? "Correct" English is still laser.