Make Alien and Marine pop up maps look different

yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
I like the aesthetic marines currently have for their maps NS1. Chunky, without any unnecessary architectural lines, and blue. They should keep something like what they have in NS1.

There's a problem in that aliens have the exact same pop-up map. I propose they get at least a background color change (In my opinion, to orange) and perhaps a style difference in the line thickness/color.

I imagine that marines are reading floor plans in their HUD's whenever I press "c" on the keyboard, that's what the style seems to indicate (It's blue with very exact white lines). I'd like for the alien map to be a little different, but not so much that it becomes unreadable. Just to give the aliens a different feel.

Comments

• FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Lol i never realized that.

Maybe the aliens shouldn't have a pop up map. Instead the in-game hud would have to direct the aliens... perhaps by writing on the ground and walls info for getting to places or something.

We can keep it specific to the type of alien you have... so if it's a gorge, then it will direct you to un-capped res. If your a skulk, then it will direct you to places where other skulks have died. If your wounded then it will direct you to the nearest gorge or hive.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    I agree with the change to include nuanced art styles in the pop-up maps. As a player who first suggested that Windows95 progress bars have no place in gestation eggs and only finally seeing the change many years and patches later, I know the frustration of how these small things can sometimes starkly break immersion.

@Focused: the pop-up map was never intended to be intrinsically unique to each side. It was birthed for the sole reason that new players found it hard to navigate and predict NS1's sometimes intricate maps. In that light, it should be as similar as possible on both teams.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I think it's a good idea.
    Of course the mini-maps shouldn't be that different or it just confuses the hell out of new players, when they have to learn the mini-map of one map twice.

Maybe it would already help to show DI (progress) on the minimap, so you can see which parts are kinda alien territory.