Evolutionary points vs. hive requirement?

TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
edited February 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
Alright well admittedly I don't completely know how alien upgrades and ###### are going to work, but here's what's on my mind -

One of the more silly things I found about NS1 was the 'hive requirement' for certain abilities. It was artificially limiting and, to be honest, most Hive 3 abilities weren't worth it at all. The biggest payoff was in the 3x3 upgrades, Xenocide, and Charge (for destroying buildings, it was utterly worthless against marines). Nobody gave a damn about Web, or Acid Rocket, and while I'm sure people are going to bore me with anecdotal evidence about how they totally pwnz0red the entire marine team with web once, the point is it was hardly a game-breaking ability like Xenocide or Babblers were.

Anyway, why not give all alien lifeforms a handful of weapons/abilities and let players purchase the ones they want? Provide them with a second resource that is simply stocked based on the number of hives and assign a value to all upgrades and weapons, or base it on the current res system, or whatever, I don't care. Point is, given how the upgrades all revolved around the same 4 or 5, just make especially powerful ones more expensive.

Seeing as how the Marine side is going towards a blend of combat-esque upgrade system, why not let the Alien one do that too? Once upon a time, the alien team was <i>supposed</i> to be all about individual flexibility... but then again, NS3.0 inexplicably turned the Aliens into the teamworky side too, so **** knows what's going on.

Comments

• tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Ok, I have to ... just what? You're just trolling right?

Webs and acid rockets were game stoppers.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753805:date=Feb 18 2010, 07:54 AM:name=tjosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjosan @ Feb 18 2010, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, I have to ... just what? You're just trolling right?

Webs and acid rockets were game stoppers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First of all smartass, what does this have to do with the actual idea I posted? Don't bore me with your insipid bull###### anecdotal posts that I said in the original post were inevitable and yet still entirely irrelevant.

Finally, I'll bite: The only thing acid rocket was good for was harassing jetpack marines - and even then a good blink / swipe was way more effective. It did less damage than a lerk bite with the same energy cost of Devour. It's a TERRIBLE Hive 3 ability. Acid Rocket was great in earlier (better) iterations of NS, and as a consequence they moved it to Hive 3 and SEVERELY nerfed it in every aspect.

And web wasn't, by definition of the ability, a 'game stopper'. It's a defensive ability and by the time you had Hive 3, if your team weren't a pile of impotent goons, it was unlikely you were going to NEED defensive abilities. Additionally, it was completely negated by a welder which, by the time Hive 3 rolled around, was equipped by every single marine anyway - which is complete and total crap. Not like aliens have an ability that makes HMGs stop firing or siege cannons to jam.

Finally, maybe it's a testament to what an incredibly **** player you were, but most games were over before Hive 3 even rolled around. The epic two-hour comeback died years and years ago.
    Ok, so the only thing a marine team has left that can hurt is a full team of marines with ha a jp or two thrown in for hunting down careless aliens, while making their way to one of the hives for a desperate bust or trying to stay alive for a hive 2-like siege or attack. Right? Now when this time comes around they have one shot to do something while skulks chew down their rts and alien ones go up instead. Webs pretty much stop advance combined with acid rockets to force the HA marines to weld up all the time making them vulnerable to further attacks and slowing them down even more. The two abilites are the final nails in the coffin pretty much making it impossible even for a much more skilled marine team to win if they slip up and let the third hive go up.

Then again if you learn to play through combat alone then I understand where you're coming from. Who would want to play a gorge in combat.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753808:date=Feb 18 2010, 09:09 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Feb 18 2010, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally, maybe it's a testament to what an incredibly **** player you were<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great, temphate said I was a bad player. I think I'll go cut some wrists.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753810:date=Feb 18 2010, 08:15 AM:name=tjosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjosan @ Feb 18 2010, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, so the only thing a marine team has left that can hurt is a full team of marines with ha a jp or two thrown in for hunting down careless aliens, while making their way to one of the hives for a desperate bust or trying to stay alive for a hive 2-like siege or attack. Right? Now when this time comes around they have one shot to do something while skulks chew down their rts and alien ones go up instead. Webs pretty much stop advance combined with acid rockets to force the HA marines to weld up all the time making them vulnerable to further attacks and slowing them down even more. The two abilites are the final nails in the coffin pretty much making it impossible even for a much more skilled marine team to win if they slip up and let the third hive go up.

Then again if you learn to play through combat alone then I understand where you're coming from. Who would want to play a gorge in combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welder train. Not 'welder parking lot'. Acid rocket does such pitiful damage you're on crack if you think a welder train would ever stop because of a whopping 50 damage. Oh no. Help. We're being crushed by a Fade who has no energy anymore now. Woe is us.

Hell in the thread just over there people are also saying Web was never used. Get back on the topic and stop boring me with your stupid stories.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2010
    3rd hive abilities are powerful, but you have to consider that the 3rd chamber and 3hive armor also adds something to the then superior 3hive alien team.

They are locked till the late/endgame for a reason though. If you could choose between all abilities and number of hives only limits the amount of them to use, you'd have dominating aliens.
    Just imagine early-game webs or xenocide, when marines don't have the means to counter or fight these abilities.

Of course it could be a solution to change these abilities and allow aliens to choose among all weapons, but UWE took the other route and made marines more like aliens regarding the techs.
    Now marines also have to expand and occupy tech-rooms to unlock weapons and equipment and I like that approach, because it also means that marines can't turtle up in on room with all their tech and cause stalemates, while the alien team controls the rest of the map.

Edit: I fully agree with tjosan though. You seem to have no clue or it's some nice trolling.
    Acid rocket does dbl damage to armor, that's why tjosan made that example, and 50 dmg is a lot considering the rate of fire.
    In addition to splash/area damage, meta and probably nearby mc, this means perma-welding for marines.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Acid rocket and web are useless on a 32 player pub because the only task you've got left at 3 hives is to push the MS. Web is defensive and AR doesn't help when the IPs spawn those full armor marines faster than you can rocket.

On any other situation than pushing a big pub MS, AR and web are game breaking indeed. Can't picture any team being able to withstand 3 hive aliens for long, just because xeno and AR wear your numbers down like crazy. It's like spore^10 and even spore is a pain for the most of the round. In addition any mine defence you had becomes completely useless because of AR and xeno. Combine that with web stopping any kind of quick map progress and you're in terrible shape.

I can't see any particular need for such system. Commander being able to see what tech aliens have and adapting to it is strategy. Meanwhile in combat it quickly goes into a mess because you're forced to counter a gazillion thingys simultaneously.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Seriously doubt you know what you're talking about. Babblers > acid rocket. YEAH! Your suggestion is based on the premise that you don't know what the heck.

<!--quoteo(post=1753808:date=Feb 18 2010, 08:09 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Feb 18 2010, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally, maybe it's a testament to what an incredibly **** player you were, but most games were over before Hive 3 even rolled around. The epic two-hour comeback died years and years ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, the guy who won ENSL at the arguable peak of NS teamplay and individual skill is a ###### player.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753814:date=Feb 18 2010, 08:40 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Feb 18 2010, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are locked till the late/endgame for a reason though. If you could choose between all abilities and number of hives only limits the amount of them to use, you'd have dominating aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can still lock out abilities to three hives by making them too expensive, and I'm not completely opposed to still restricting upgrades to a degree. Just moreso to remove how incredibly inflexible aliens are (doubly so given how in all NS versions, only about four or five upgrades were even viable anyway).

<!--quoteo(post=1753824:date=Feb 18 2010, 10:07 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Feb 18 2010, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meanwhile in combat it quickly goes into a mess because you're forced to counter a gazillion thingys simultaneously.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    At the same time, we're facing a situation where marines are becoming less and less dependent on the commander and more self-reliant. To not allow the aliens to do the same is lunacy. If anything that just serves the augment the pro-marine bias NS slowly took around 2.0.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753836:date=Feb 18 2010, 12:48 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Feb 18 2010, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the same time, we're facing a situation where marines are becoming less and less dependent on the commander and more self-reliant. To not allow the aliens to do the same is lunacy. If anything that just serves the augment the pro-marine bias NS slowly took around 2.0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What I've understood, marines are going closer to what aliens are in NS1. Can't see direct justification for aliens to go further, especially if it eliminates half of the possible soft counter and strategy adaptations.

In combat I just blindly go for my upgrade routine 95% of the time, because there isn't one bit of upgrade strategy I can do. Everything gets thrown up at me, so I'm just better off going for a overall good upgrade path instead of trying to use my brain to figure out some kind of gameplay plan depending on what I see from my opponent's play. I want to avoid similar situation in NS2. The tech needs at least some indications and limitations.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Temphage, you're probably one of those kids who play on bot servers and think you're good because you can get a positive k:d there.

Hive 2 is all you need to end the game.

Hive 3 is just overkill. Humiliation for marines. It allows for the third upgrade chamber.

Go back to combat. You don't know how to play classic NS.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    It's about as bad as one of FocusedWolf's ideas, but Temphage is ten times the ######.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753904:date=Feb 18 2010, 08:57 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Feb 18 2010, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's about as bad as one of FocusedWolf's ideas, but Temphage is ten times the ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    haha yeah so true.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I for one actually kinda like the idea.

It still has the hives limit the abilities allowed, but gives a bit more flexibility and strategy. Should you spend for quick early abilities or save for a more expensive ability that you can only have for one life? Perhaps also have upkeep while you have those abilities to prevent people from waiting for the last one and surviving long enough with it to just re-buy again.

I will agree that typically Hive2 is all you need and really Hive3 was designed to help the Aliens end it. Kinda like Marines getting HA+JP and enough res to give to entire team is really supposed to end it for the Marines.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753833:date=Feb 18 2010, 06:24 AM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Feb 18 2010, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, the guy who won ENSL at the arguable peak of NS teamplay and individual skill is a ###### player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got a great laugh out of this.

Original poster really doesn't understand why Hive 3 abilities are good. Just play NS1 in classic mode and you'll get it.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited February 2010
    A well-timed jetpack rush against 3 Hives is the least likely to fail strat and web is the perfect counter for it. Acid rocket is ok. It'll do dmg. Depending on armor-level, acid rocket + swipe is jetty down. Besides, acid rocket spam will keep any team defensive to weld up.

Xeno on the other hand is one of the most game decisive abilities, because not only its very effective against a pack of marines, it'll leave most jetpacks 1-hit against fades.

Just some time ago I played a pickup-game where I didn't check for a cloak hive, and got a unpleasant surprise few mins later. Well no problem, beacon, jetpacks to sub, shoot hive, beacon before they die, repeat, and hive down. Too bad the gorges didn't use web.

And Hive2 is not game-over for marines. Jetpacks with W3 HMG's and SG's will destroy equally-skilled fades. When jetpacks take off, aliens are on the verge of losing the game unless they get 3rd hive up or DC's up, 2 hives is not enough unless the jetpacks fail big time.

Suggestion is not good for simply the reason that currently 2-hives will crush LA's easily but in the end jetpacks or heavies will destroy 2-hive lifeforms. However Focus/Cele/Cara-fades practically dominate everything. Chainless chambers isn't that bad idea, but it'd need some serious balancing, because marines lose the game in current NS if aliens get all chambers up and a few fades. This means 3rd chamber would have to cost something, if not hives, then res, but in my opinion res is more boring than hives because then there're other options aswell (cloak hives, biting 2nd hive down, pg's etc.). Also chainless chambers bring out other problems aswell.
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    I keep reading people bringing up the things he said to SHUT UP about.
    Is keeping on topic really that hard?

I love this idea. I think a tier system would do good, as to not let people simply play gorge, save up points, and then go straight to Onos with the LOL I STOMP AND THROW AND GO SUPERSAIYAN mutation.

I support this.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753971:date=Feb 19 2010, 07:20 AM:name=GDWhite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GDWhite @ Feb 19 2010, 07:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I keep reading people bringing up the things he said to SHUT UP about.
    Is keeping on topic really that hard?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think that basically shut down his argumentation why it should be in the game.

Then there's just left the counter argument that tech shouldn't be too individualistic as it hinders the strategical play by huge amounts.
    edited February 2010
    Do you all fail at reading? Did I not make it completely clear enough?

Are you dopes even presuming to assume I don't understand that 90% of games end <b>because of Hive 2</b>? Generally speaking, most of the time you see Hive 3 go up it's when you've already got the marine team on the ropes. And that's if you even get to Hive 3 at all. I've ended plenty of games without it. Everyone who's played NS even for the briefest amount of time knows this, to the extent that I can't believe I actually have to explain to you that I know how the ****ing game works. What's next, you want to explain to me what TFacts do?

The entire point of this idea is that you no longer have to 'lock out' some sort of endgame super-ability (that is artificially boosted to justify it being 'hive 3'). Webs are a nice tool that would greatly augment alien defenses earlier in the game than 'the last 3 minutes' when you get Hive 3. This makes the weapon practically non-existent as far as gameplay considerations go. Why? Why not allow this weapon to be unlocked earlier? With a set price value for the weapon you could easily require a tradeoff of other abilities and better upgrades to get the things you want. Hell, you could even apply the same upgrade tiers to weapons as you do to upgrades - Hive 1 webs vs. Hive 3, for example.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754054:date=Feb 19 2010, 12:28 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Feb 19 2010, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you all fail at reading? Did I not make it completely clear enough?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, they just fail at reading. They saw "LoL Hive 3 is underpowered" or something and rage quit....
    I'd rather have offensive abilities than defensive abilities for Hive 2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1754075:date=Feb 19 2010, 08:21 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Feb 19 2010, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather have offensive abilities than defensive abilities for Hive 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh for ****s sake.
    Just because your ideas are bad and no one likes them doesn't mean you have to act like a 12 year old and cry about it.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited February 2010
    It would be nice to not have the situation where a fourth of the alien abilities are almost completely irrelevant to the game.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    What Bacillus said is a pretty simple argument. It completely ###### the Metagame if every alien can potentially have any possible combination of upgrades at any time on an individual basis.

And really, it's not necessarily a bad thing if Hive 3 abilities exist specifically to end the game. If you've got 3rd Hive up that means you basically own the whole map and are winning easily, so all that's really left to do is finish off the Marine base. Any time you spend doing that is probably going to be garbage time until the next game can begin, so it makes sense if 3rd hive abilities are primarily designed to shorten that process.

The only ability that really suffers from this is Web, since it's a good ability that doesn't accomplish much when the Marines can't get more five steps away from their IP.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1754101:date=Feb 20 2010, 12:51 AM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Feb 20 2010, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754101"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be nice to not have the situation where a fourth of the alien abilities are almost completely irrelevant to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed. In optimal situation there aren't any game finisher abilities. The map control and economical advantage through it should be enough to finish the game. I don't know how it works with melee vs ranged and infinite resoucres though.

I guess alien commander could help a lot, since in NS1 some of the problem originates from the fact that aliens can't get lifeforms out quick enough even if it's 8 RTs for them. Maybe alien comm can either direct the res flow to get lifeforms quicker or just overwhelm the marines with some res intense spell support.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited February 2010
    Alright, I do actually think having a quarter of abilities used only 1-5% of time in any meaningful way is not efficient. In current NS, it'd take a big load of balancing to get it right, but NS2 is definitely a new story, and having xeno and other 3rd hive abilties as useful and common weapons would be nice. Altho I admit I like the general ranged vs melee division between the teams, so I wouldn't want to go back to 1.04 with the acid rocket. Web, xeno and primal scream could be tactically interesting in usual combat.

Actually I would support chainless chambers and/or upgrades, but I really hope the cost of hive3 abilities would something more tactically interesting than res.
    I'd rather just rework the whole ability set than stick to the old 3-hivers. Of course nothing prevents the devs from using some of the old abilities, but still it's probably better rethink the whole ability system now that they've got the chance.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    It's pretty obvious you're all being trolled. He said babblers were game breaking and superior to webs...